a place for husbands to fly fish and wives who will not

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and his father go fly fishing for a long weekend once a year to Montana and leave us behind. This year they are planning a longer trip to Alaska or Canada through Fly Water Travel LLC for at least a week. I thought it would be nice to go with them to a place that all of us would enjoy. I know some of you guys are saying just let them have their time alone, but I assure you they would not mind if they could fly fish while we (my mother-in-law) did our own thing. The problem I am having is that most of the lodges seem to have a package that includes guides and transport to various fly-fishing spots. Is there a place that offers other activities or a reduced rate for those who do not wish to fish?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:29 AM

metcarl,
I guess "I'm one of those guys". A Father/son, Father/daughter fishing trip is more than fishing.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:49 AM

We used to "do" Yellowstone while the guys fished out of Island Park, Idaho.

Are you asking for Alaska specific ideas or just in general.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:23 AM

As a guy, I'm also going to say let them do their own thing, and agree with johnthedorf.

As long as you and hubby take time together too, then enjoy some time apart as well. Rejoice that they have such a good friendship, many dads/sons do not.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:59 AM
JJ5

As a wife/mother for MANY years and who has (with a daughter-in-law as well) tried this in Canada and in upper MN, I say let him go.

Unless you enjoy fishing just as much as they do- these places are very much set up for the men and their wants and needs, IMHO. Mine literally go out from before light to after dark and have chuckwagons "catch" or float up to them or they just camp lunch etc. There is more to it than just those amenities and arrangements as well.

In other words, in even the high end experiences of lodges etc.- the sport is the thing and EVERYTHING is geared for that experience.

These places are in existence because of the sport and are not spas in any sense that I have seen. And they have a different bonding experience oftentimes as well when it is "just" them. No schedule other than the fishs' and outdoor freedom and serendipity.

If you want to do your own thing- what you like may be nowhere near where they have to be for optimal fishing.

If it is a place "all of you could enjoy" than it will not probably be the unsullied spot that they are seeking. Let them go to find it.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:26 AM

The only alternative I can think of is having the family base themselves in Whistler, BC. Lots of flyfishing opps there and plenty for you and your MIL to do in Whistler itself or down in Vancouver.
http://www.whistlerflyfishing.com/index.cfm

Other than that, let them go and you and MIL should do your own girls trip...Savannah? Charleston? Paris? Chicago?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I'm starting to think I should just let them go alone. I would like to plan a trip at the same time but travelling with my mother or MIL alone does not sound relaxing. My MIL and I get along but we tend to have awkward silences and sometimes nothing to talk about. My mother and I clash when together for long periods of time but she would really appreciate me asking her to go on a trip. Most of my girlfriends that I would fell comfortable travelling with have young kids so it is harder for them to get away.

Oh well - thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I'm for having a "girl's trip" while the guys are fishing is a great idea! A lot of spas are more oriented to women than men. There would be lots of other people around, so you wouldn't have to focus on conversation with each other. Another idea is to do a tour or cruise. The world is your oyster (within a budget, of course)!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
hdm

I understand what you mean about those awkward silences. If you're going to do a 'girls' trip' maybe you could make it a foursome. She could invite a friend and so could you. There would be more chat and each of you would have a pal there.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:16 AM
hdm

Sorry, I just read where you said it's difficult for most of your friends to get away. Sister? Sister-in-law? Or even if your MIL invited one of her friends along, the onus wouldn't be completely on you for conversation.