a little advice for first timer...

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:36 AM
blanche

a little advice for first timer...

Hi-ho:

I’ve never been to Florida and I’m considering rectifying that. I see flights listed on travel pages to Miami, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, and Myrtle Beach.

What we’re looking for is some place warm and quiet for a few days in January or February. I am not at all interested in nightclubs, fancy hotels, 4 star restaurants. Local or regional history would be nice, but not mandatory. I want the beach to wade in the surf but won’t be scuba diving or fishing, necessarily.

Just a get away to visit someplace I’ve never been, to relax and NOT to spend a fortune. Can any of you offer advice for such a “boring” itinerary? Any information as to which city to fly into and then transportation to our destination city? Of course I’m willing to rent a car, but if there was a train line or some other easy mode of public transport that would be all the better.

I’ve traveled extensively outside the United States and I don’t really need the typical tourist impetus to survive.

In fact, I'm not even locked into Florida if someone has any other suggestions for a warm clime during the winter months, but I do want to fly (not drive) to that destination so a good-size airport would be necessary.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Lori

Marco Island in Florida. You can get a rental car from the Ft Myers airport. "Boring" and not very touristy. I traveled there about 2 years ago and had a nice relaxing time.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Ophelia

I don't know of anyplace in Florida that isn't overcrowded. Please stay home.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Jen

Try the Keys at the very tip of Florida. They are very laid back and gorgeous. Key West is more exciting while any Key on your way is just as beautiful but a little more relaxing. You can fly into Miami it is anywhere from a 1 and a half to 2 hour drive down. Definitely worth every bit of your time.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Randa

Okay, Myrtle Beach is in SC - not Florida. And SC is much too cool to enjoy the beach in Jan-Feb anyway.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Googie

I was under the impression that the Keys were always overcrowded and expensive? I assume I was wrong? Any particular destination other than Key West?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Liam

Where is Naples, Fla.? Is it nice and does it fit Blanche's criteria? What's the nearest large airport?