First time to Florida

Search

First time to Florida

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Florida

We are celebrating our 10th anniversary with a trip to Florida and are looking at a week in May. We are not ones to sit and relax and would rather get out and see the sights. I am researching whether we should spend the whole week in the Keys, or roadtrip and see several cities. We also love theme-parks and have thought about visiting Busch Gardens in Tampa and then driving down to the Keys. I'd like to stay on the beach for at least part of the trip and we want to snorkle and go deep sea fishing.

Do you think a multi-city trip is feasible in a week? Or is there a week's worth of things to see in the Keys? What are the must see things to see or do???
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 05:39 PM

BRRoby.
In my opinion a week in the keys May be a bit too much. You need to give a little more info. What airport are you arriving and are you leaving from the same one. The keys are a minimum of 3 1/2 hr drive from Miami and if you happen to be there on the wrong day and there is an accident it will be a lot longer (only one way in and out)
Tampa to the Keys is about 7.5 hrs. That been said and if you are arriving in either MIA or Ft. Lauderdale
I would do the Keys for 3 days and Miami for the rest of the time including ft Lauderdale the traffic in Miami is horrendous and you will find yourself stuck in it a lot longer than you'd like.
Places to go
South beach
Lincoln road
Bayside
Las olas
Just throwing some places around
Hope some of it helps any additional questions please be a bit more specific.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 05:47 PM

I would fly to Key West, rent something in Truman annex and enjoy. Great night life, places to eat, historical sights, rent bikes, some rentals even have some and you can do so many of the fishing charters and water sports.
http://blue-planet-kayak.com/

http://www.keywestfishtales.com/
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:54 AM

I think I would go to Tampa for Busch Gardens since you say you like theme parks. Then drive to Ft Myers/Marco Island/Sanibel area. There is both beach, nature and some history there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 03:27 AM

Gail has it--and if you wanted to you could take the boat to the Keys for the day.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 07:59 AM

Ditto, flpab. Key West has so much to do and reminds me of a tropical Island! Just be sure to stay in Old historic Key West.