A different San Francisco hotel question

Jul 18th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

A different San Francisco hotel question

Hi all. I've seen all the postings/debates about hotels in San Francisco (specifically Union Square area), but my situation is a bit different.

My significant other and I are thinking of escaping LA forever and moving to SF. We'd like to plan a weekend - most likely over Labor Day - just to check the city out and try to figure out whether San fran would work for us.

With that said, I'd like to stay in a hotel that's located more in a resedential neighborhood which might give us a better sense of what life is like in SF than if we were staying in the Financial District or Union Square. I'm fairly clueless about neighborhoods in San Francisco, except that I'm assuming most non-downtown hotels are located in the Pacific Heights/Marina area.

Ideally the hotel would be reasonably priced - not over $125/night - but better than motel quality. If you can't recommend a hotel, are there any suggestions for neighborhoods to try to stay in?

Any thoughts? Thanks alot!
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:09 AM

There isn't much in the way of m/hotels out amongst the neighborhoods. Certainly one route that would get you what you are looking for (affordable + in a neighborhood) would be to google for the website that lists all the bed & breakfasts in SF. Many of them are just rooms in people's houses, but there should be options in your price range.
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:23 AM

What about Laurel Inn? It's on Presidio @ California, not a touristy area but has a good transportation access if you don't rent a car.
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:43 AM

There are a number of bed and breakfasts in the Noe Valley area of S.F. This would give you a great idea of a residential area. It is also close to the Mission, Castro, Valencia Street restaurants and a 15 minute MUNI ride to downtown. Check out the neighborhood paper www.noevalleyvoice.com, the classified section has B&B numbers or call the paper. Another choice would be the number of motels along Lombard Steet/ Van Ness. These put you close to the Marina, Cow Hollow, Russian Hill neighborhoods.
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:06 PM

Perhaps a bit offbeat, but you might consider the Seal Rock Inn. Go for room 305--Hunter Thompson wrote "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" there....

Check the review of the motel in the article at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...TL&type=travel
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Becks Motor Lodge is actually a nicer motel on Market between Castro and Dolores. I like staying in that area because it does make me feel like I live there. And they have free parking. But get a room in the back, not facing Market.
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:24 PM

I'd second Beck's Motor Lodge. It is right near the heart of the Castro and within walking distance of many great neighborhood restaurants (eat at the Red Grill on 18th for a great steak and a quiet cocktail). It's also very close to Muni underground, so you can get almost anywhere else from there easily.

Try taking the underground to West Portal - another fun neighborhood on the other side of Twin Peaks.
Jul 19th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Intrepid

I'm very sorry but even though Beck's IS very convenient to Upper Market Street and the Castro area unless it has been significantly renovated within the past year or two I'd be wary of it. The last time I stayed there I thjought it it was a bit threadbare.

Jul 19th, 2003, 07:51 PM

When I was in grad school at San Francisco State University, I lived in Parkmerced Apts, now called The Villas at Parkmerced. They are on Nineteenth Ave., in the outer Sunset District, next door to the University. Nineteenth Avenue is a major thoroughfare that runs through many neghborhoods in San Francisco (If you follow it to its terminus, it will take you to the Golden Gate Bridge).

Lake Merced is just west of the complex and the beach and zoo are a short drive away. Stonestown Galleria mall is a couple blocks up the street. The streetcar also runs right past the complex.

The complex itself has about 7000 residents in 3500 units, including eleven 13-story towers and 1800 townhouses. I assume that they have taken one of the towers, or a floor or floors in one of the towers and set them aside for short-term rental.

Ordinarily, I would not recommend Parkmerced to a visitor, but since you specifically asked for a place that will give you an idea of what it is like to live in SF, for you they might be a good choice. Rooms rent for $60--$85 a night.

For more info, see www.executivesuites.com, thevillasparkmerced.com, or call 1-415-776-5151.
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:31 PM

On another thread, a poster just recommended a good website, www.vrbo.com. Most of the condos are for one-week minimum stays and are quite pricey, but there are a few in your price range that have only a 3-day minimum. The website also offers pictures of the condos.
Jul 20th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Intrepid - when did you stay at Beck's? I've actually never stayed there, but within the six years I've been in San Francisco they completely redid the exterior of the building - it was tired and rundown and they completely went for period retro. It's not painted with bright blues and yellows. I just assumed that the interior had been redone as well.
Jul 20th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Yes the interior of Becks has been redone, I would guess within the last 3-4 years.

That is why I originally said it is ACTUALLY a nicer motel because it used to have something of a... reputation.

Now it is comparable to a Best Western-type place.
Jul 21st, 2003, 08:37 PM

There is also the Stanyan Park Hotel, right next to GG Park. I'm a local so I've never stayed there but it looks beautiful from the outside.