grand canyon, west rim

Search

grand canyon, west rim

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grand canyon, west rim

We plan on going to the West Rim from Las Vegas by car. Is this just as good as the South Rim?
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:56 AM

Perhaps you mean the North Rim?

If so, I loved the N.Rim. It is more remote and I saw nothing lacking in the views. You can find lots of info about the differences here by doing a search.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:29 AM

There is a West Rim that is on Hualapai Indian Reservation. I have not been, but I've seen pictures that a friend took. NO, it's not as good as the N. or S. Rim. You have a limited vista and you are at a lower elevation too so it's not going to look as GRAND.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...su_canyon.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...932010029.html

Utahtea

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:04 PM

I can't make a comparison between the West Rim and South Rim because I've only been to the West Rim; however, I'll tell you what I know about the West Rim and perhaps it will help you a little.

We took a day trip with a small tour company to the West Rim. A previous poster was correct by saying that the West Rim lies within the Hualapai Reservation. This part of the canyon is supposedly not as wide, but is the same elevation as the S. Rim. Despite the fact that it's not as wide, it is still absolutely incredible!!! I think about it all the time. It's very remote on the West Rim, and we were the only people there.

I will say that there's no way I would make the drive in a private car (but then again, I'm not very adventurous). It is a loooong ride through the desert...extremely remote. I'd be scared #$%^less if my car broke down...mountain lions, rattle snakes, etc. However, that's just me.

Another reason we took a tour is because it also drove down to the bottom of the canyon to the river. The only road within the Grand Canyon is within the Hualapai Reservation. It was a short, but wonderful experience for us to see the GC from the top and bottom in one day. The chances are slim that I would ever hike or ride a mule down there, so this option worked for me. Of course, some day I will go to the South or North rim and spend more than a day.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:51 PM

The West Rim is at 5,000 feet elevation. The South Rim is at 7,000 and the North rim is at 8,000 feet.

The west and south rim are not at the same elevations.

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/ariz...es/gcwest.html

Utahtea
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:14 PM

If you only have time to go to the west rim, it is better than nothing. I have been to all three and the west rim is definitely third choice. It is not about to be the experience of the other two. CJ
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

topping