Grand Canyon preview trip suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading out West in June. On our must do list is a stop at the Grand Canyon. We will return in two years to actually hike into the Canyon - just want to give our boys (10 & 12) a preview. So what do you suggest? North or South Rim? Any particular overlooks or trails? Suggestions for where to tent camp?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM

A majority of people (myself included) consider the South Rim the better one to visit, but the North Rim will have its supporters as well. My preference is based on superior views (you start lower on the South Rim, so you are looking up into the opposite rim) and better light (views with the Sun behind you are invariably better than those while you are looking into the Sun).

The North Rim is cooler, more arboreal, and has FAR smaller crowds.

The South Rim has more facilities, which is a plus or a minus, depending on how you look at that.

Any overlook on either Rim is amazing, and the Rim Trail on both is the best. *IF* you want to walk down from the South Rim (and I highly recommend doing so), then Bright Angel is by far the best one to start with.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Personally, I prefer the north rim, mainly because, as Paul said, it is MUCH less crowded. But hiking down, or part way down, will be easier from the south rim. The south rim also does have more places readily available without hiking to view the canyon.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
TheWeasel

I'd say the S. rim if it's your first visit, because the views are better. You might be a bit disappointed by the N. rim - but, it might be a better option for your next visit when you do some hiking because it's less crowded and cooler.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:47 AM

Add me to the list of posters that like the S. Rim better.

Mather Campground at the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon is fine as far as National Park Campgrounds go. Campsites are in a forest setting but are very close to each other. You can make advanced reservations at Mather if you know what day you will be there.

Just 10 miles south the Grand Canyon village is Ten X Campground. Forest setting with large campsites in a national forest. This is a first come, first serve campground which could fill up unless you get your campsite early in the day.

http://www.outdoorplaces.com/Destina...n/gracans2.htm

At the S. Rim, I like walking along the rim trail anywhere between Mather Point and Hopi Point. You can pick up the free shuttle buses along the way if you get tired.

Utahtea
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:08 AM

Another vote for South Rim - we were there in August a few years ago and did not find it oppressively crowded. Following Utahtea's suggestion we road shuttle bus to various lookouts on route, walked to area, and then followed trail to next bus stop (usually less than a mile).

You can also take a short hike into Canyon via Bright Angel Trail - options to turn around at one and 2 mile points to get a feel of what it is like below the rim - likely to be within ability range of your kids.