Search

A country bumpkin in Chicago!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A country bumpkin in Chicago!

Hi there,
I am traveling to Chicago from Idaho for a few days next week. I have a question about transportation and using the train. We are staying in the Water Tower Place area and we are going to a Cubs game on Sunday at Wrigley Field. I think we are taking the red line north to the Addison Street station and then walking a short distance to the stadium. My question is after the game will there be 50,000 people trying to get on the train at Addison Street station and, if so, do you have any suggestions about where we could go to hang out for a drink or a snack while the crowds thin out?

Also Navy Pier. Worth a visit or too "touristy?"

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 04:11 PM

I'd personally skip Navy Pier - too touristy for me. How many days do you have? I'd suggest taking the the CAC (Chicago Architectural Foundation) boat tour - it's the only way to see the back side of many buildings, and Chicago's architecture is world class. The conservatory in Lincoln Park is great. The Art Institute is a must-see even if you're not museum people (see the famous stuff - A Sunday in La Grand Jatte, the Chagall windows, the Monet haystacks and call it a day!) https://www.artic.edu/collection
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 12:26 PM

I love the Art Institute too, and highly recommend. In addition to the highlights mentioned by sf7307, I would add the following musts. These are mostly included on sf7307's link:

1. The Rembrandts (yes one of them may be school of, but they are awesome)
2. Nighthawks by Hopper, over in the American wing
3. American Gothic, also in the American wing (yes, it's THE painting!)
4. The Homer painting.
5. The Guitarist by Picasso. One of my favorites ever

Quirky and cool
4. Some very good medieval armour, especially if you've never been to the Tower of London or other large collections in Europe.
5. The miniatures--this is what my grandma loved best of all things.

I don't love Navy Pier. I view that as something to do at the end of the day if you've got a little time and it's near your lodgings.

I also would recommend the Science Museum on the South Side near University of Chicago, Shedd Aquarium.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The:after Cubs game. I would try to get the train back downtown. Wriglyville bars will be mobbed.
We love attending Cubs games at Wrigley Field.
Navy Piet- If you feel Ike a walk. Better to walk on the lakefront pathways though, thirty miles long. And you can also walk along the Chicago River paths.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jul 17th, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 12:37 PM

Don't worry about getting the train back after game. But do be sure your ticket or card includes enough for the return trip beforehand so you don't need to get to a ticket machine when you are returning.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by sf7307
I'd personally skip Navy Pier - too touristy for me. How many days do you have? I'd suggest taking the the CAC (Chicago Architectural Foundation) boat tour - it's the only way to see the back side of many buildings, and Chicago's architecture is world class. The conservatory in Lincoln Park is great. The Art Institute is a must-see even if you're not museum people (see the famous stuff - A Sunday in La Grand Jatte, the Chagall windows, the Monet haystacks and call it a day!) https://www.artic.edu/collection
Don’t forget “American Gothic,” Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks,” Archibald Motley’s “Nightlife” and Picasso’s “Old Guitarist.”
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
The:after Cubs game. I would try to get the train back downtown. Wriglyville bars will be mobbed.
We love attending Cubs games at Wrigley Field.
Navy Piet- If you feel Ike a walk. Better to walk on the lakefront pathways though, thirty miles long. And you can also walk along the Chicago River paths.
There are a bunch of local restaurants across the street at the Hotel Zachary. I also like Lucky’s Sandwich Co. and The Roost Carolina Chicken on Clark, south of the ballpark that might not be too crowded. Mia Francesa’s farther south near Belmont is good for Italian. Also, take the train from Belmont — not Addison — after the game. The station won’t be quite as mobbed.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:13 PM

As for Navy Pier, the view from the Ferris Wheel is one of the best in the city — well worth it. They also just opened the world’s largest beer garden there, though I haven’t been.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by andrews98682

Don’t forget “American Gothic,” Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks,” Archibald Motley’s “Nightlife” and Picasso’s “Old Guitarist.”
i knew I left out a lot of well-know pieces!
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by andrews98682

I beat you to it. See above.

Not the Nightlife one though.