Search

A CHEAP HOTEL?????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 08:50 AM
juli

A CHEAP HOTEL?????

I found really good airfare to NO on the 26th of OCT. I am trying to find a reasonable hotel close to Bourbon street. Somewhere in the $100-$150/per night price range or cheaper if possible.
Any suggestions?
Does it help to call places in person to see if they have knocked down there prices or is online going to be the same price?
Thanks

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Chazz

Go to Neworleans.com and check out there hotel res. search. (It is at the top of the page after you get to the visitor's info. section.) We have had our reservations at the Bourbon Orleans since January, but I was looking yesterday and saw some decent prices, especially along Canal St./river. I seem to remember a good price at the Doubletree. I would not choose a hotel any further away from Bourbon than the Radisson on Canal.

Good Luck!
Chazz

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 12:00 PM
John

Juli, that weekend is VERY VERY busy with Halloween-related parties. It's considered a "special event" time and prices will be adjusted accordingly.

For B&Bs in the FQ area, try www.marigny.net. These inns are located in Faubourg Marigny just next to the Quarter. Most are walking distance to Bourbon and the prices may be better than the large hotels.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Don

Juli, Check out http://www.biddingfortravel.com. People there have reported getting 4* Marriott hotel rooms in the French Quarter for prices ranging from $42-$70/night in September by using Priceline. (See the New Orleans hotel topic.) Prices may be higher because you'll be there on the weekend preceding Halloween, but some of these low-priced successful bids were during times when big conventions were in town. And what with the slowdown in travel because of the economy and the events of earlier this month, maybe the hotels have given Priceline some more inventory.

If you go to that site, be sure to read the Hotel FAQs for information on how to maximize your bidding opportunities.

If you use Priceline, you can't pick a specific hotel--just a star rating and the Priceline zone (in your case, the French Quarter; or, failing that, maybe you'd consider the Central Business District). But you might be able to save a lot of money compared to the $100-$150/night price you mentioned.

Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or the Web site mentioned above, yadda, yadda.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip to the Big Easy!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 08:04 AM
juli

Hey Larry You must be a child......
I wasnt dumb, if you read my info it clearly explains.

To everyone else thanks. I am not solid on the days of travel but picked that weekend because we where free, but I am still trying to muster the courage to fly. I am going to check into it and hopefully go next month.
Thanks for your help
JK

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Pat

Yesterday I booked a room at the Historic French Market Inn for 4 nites at $70.00 per nite and that includes continental breakfast and evening cocktails. It is across the street from Cafe du Monde, Half block from Jackson Square and 3 blocks from Bourbon St. Their number is 504-561-5621. Have fun. NO is the greatest.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 03:30 PM
John

Pat, please change hotels! Historic French Market Inn is the absolute PITS. Gets probably the worst reviews of any New Orleans hotel except the Crescent on Canal, which is in a class by itself...

ps - the hotel is NOT across from Cafe DuMonde nor is it 1/2 block from Jackson Square. It's also SEVERAL blocks from the French Market, despite its name.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Stephanie P.

look under lodging.com in the internet, you could get lucky.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:21 PM
MAC

Went to NO in July, stayed at a quaint B&B called Lamothe House on Esplanade Ave. It is off the beaten path, but within walking distance to EVERYTHING. They offer continental b-fast and free sherry in the afternoon; lots of antiques - older but clean. 800/367-5858 or 504/947-1161. Wish you the best!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Al

Stayed last weekend at the Clarion on Canal Street. A newly remodeled hotel. Very nice rooms with frige and microwave. $89/night plus $16 per night secured parking if you have a car. About $6 cab fare to any French Quarter location. Four blocks from Bourbon Street. Not a bad walk, but wouldn't consider walking alone at night. Great service staff. Check out neworleanscvb.com. That's where I got these rates.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Jen Ratta

My husband and I stayed at Le Richelieu October 4-8 and thought it was a decent choice. We did request to change rooms as the first one assigned to us had no view (window was blocked by the building next door). Our second room had a decent view. The room decor is a little dated but the rooms are very clean and have a walk-in closet with fridge. We'd stay there again and recommend it to those planning on spending about $100 a night. In addition, the hotel offers free local calls and FREE PARKING!!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Hal

my mom used to say "buy cheap, buy again." what you're really looking for is VALUE and it's not the same thing as cheap.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Beth

Try the Hotel Monteleone a moderate level hotel (used to be deluxe but older now and not recently remodeled) in a GREAT location in the center of the action! You should get a rate right around $100 night unless a special event is going on.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Topper

ttt

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Don

Juli, in case you're still looking--just a follow-up on my pointer to http://www.biddingfortravel.com.

Someone recently got the New Orleans Marriott (Priceline-rated 4* hotel in the French Quarter) on Priceline for $71 (plus $5/night bonus money, available in the Bonus Money Opportunities topic on that Web site) for 10/26-10/28. Here's a link to the thread on that winning bid:

http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...icID=196.topic

Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or the Web site mentioned above, your winning bid (if any) may be above or below someone else's winning bid, you might get a different hotel with a winning bid, yadda, yadda...

Hope this helps! Have a great time in New Orleans!

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:37 AM
juli

I had actually stopped looking because when I consulted my boyfriend he has his schedule booked for the next few months and has to work many weekends so my plans for a surprise weekend away where on hold.

But I saved all your info and websites and I have some great ideas for next time.

I will get there someday
Thanks everyone, but keep posting I'm sure someone can use it

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 12:13 PM
New Orleans Girl

Topping!