Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

7 Days in Florida during Christmas/New Years. Help needed with itenary

Nov 29th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Myself, my wife and 7 month infant are going to be flying into Orlando from the 25'th of December to the 1'st of Jan. I'm looking for suggestions on places to stay, anywhere in Central Florida, ie either coast to stay. We are keen on really spending most of them time on a beach with access to nice restuarants. We really would prefer a place where we could get hotels for less than $120 with ocean side views in our hotel rooms.
Since we have an infant who won't enjoy Disneyland, that's out, but does anyone have any suggestions. Also looking for a nice family fun place to be in new years...considering we have an infant.
Either coast is fine. We could do both given the no. of days we are in Florida.
-David
Nov 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM

ttt
Nov 30th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Consider Melbourne Beach/Indiatlantic. A Hilton and Doubletree are both great all beach frontage hotels. The area has quite a few good restaurants, and you are away from the madding crowd. If you make this choice, repost and I'll give you a restaurant list.

I also enjoy Indian Rocks between Clearwater and St. Petersburg. Holiday Inn has a location across the street from the beach, with canal front rooms. Several good restaurants in walking distance. This hotel has a great pool and often has live entertainment in the evenings.
Nov 30th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Before we moved to Florida, we used to come down to visit family during the Christmas holidays. Mom lived in North Port (Gulf side, south of Venice). We preferred the Gulf side beaches in the Venice and Sarasota area. Still head over there sometimes during the winter season, when it's a bit chilly in Orlando, and eat at Sharky's.
Nov 30th, 2009, 06:12 AM
cd

We also love the gulf coast, Indian Shores, Indian Beach, Treasure Island, St Pete Beach. In St Pete Beach this would fall into your price range, check out those internet prices! It is a plush hotel:
http://www.grandplazaflorida.com/gra...-hot-deals.asp

Also in St Pete Beach, this is not as plush but has suites which is always nice for families to have breakfast and lunch and even dinner in your room:
http://www.aldenbeachresort.com/amentities/index.cfm

And one that we have stayed at twice in Treasure Island is The Island Inn. Ask for a state room with ocean views not bay views. As with all three of these properties, you want to be facing the ocean as the sunsets are beautiful and so enjoyable!

Is it too late to fly into Tampa instead of Orlando? So much closer to the Gulf and a lot less driving.
http://www.islandinnresort.com/
Nov 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Sludick, my parents live in North Port...

I was going to recommend Siesta Key for the beaches. Been to Sharky's numerous times.

I agree with cd about flying into Tampa or even Sarasota if possible.

I have stayed at a Sheraton near Indian Rocks Beach but that was oveer 15 years ago.
Nov 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Small world, tchoiniere! I'm thinking it's about time for a Sharky's visit...
Dec 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM

keep in mind that anywhere north of Captiva Island on the West Coast or north of Jupiter on the East Coast could be too cold to swim in the ocean in late december.
Dec 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM

If you are considering the Melbourne Beach/Indiatlantic area, this special at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne Oceanfront Resort & Spa at $99/night with breakfast and upgrade may be of interest to you: http://hotels.travelzoo.com/florida-hotels/704013