Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Florida Gulf Coast South of Tampa - Ideas please

Aug 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

3 families and children 10 and under planning to go to FLA over Christmas break. Looked at Longboat Key, which is gorgeous but $400ish a night is too much (we'd like to be between 100 and 200/night.

We want to be near/on the water and are trying to narrow our options. Sanibel looks nice, but may be a pain to get on and off of (if we wanted to go up or down the coast). Anna Maria is a bit more central, but may have the same issues. We will want some access to neat towns and restaurants, attractions, and maybe golf. No desire to go to Disney.

What are your favorite towns/accomodations in the area? Thanks. (sorry this is a bit open ended, but we are all over the map in our discussions).
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM

I can't give you specifics except to tell you that the week during Christmas and New Years is historically one of the busiest and most expensive at Florida hotels & resorts. MAybe a rental home or condo of some type?
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

The air tickets are already very painful! Good idea on the condo/home rental.

It looks like the weather/temp. may be an issue. Maybe not swimming weather, but otherwise pleasant.
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
cd

We love the St Pete area! St Pete Beach, Madeira Beach, Treasure Island, Indian Rocks
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Check out the rates at Holiday Inn Indian Rocks. Across the street from the beach, multi-bedroom efficiencies available, restaurants in walking distance, excellent pool. Get a canal side room.
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM

It's going to be expensive regardless where you stay. There are thousands of families just like yours fighting for limited rental space during that time.

Siesta Key has many, many condos and homes for rent, so why not look there?

www.siestakeychamber.com

Beautiful beaches, fun village, nice family orientated restaurants, quick access to Sarasota, Lido and Long Boat Keys.

Just don't expect "inexpensive" if you want to be right on or very near the beach. It's possible if you rent a condo/house 2-3 blocks from the beach.

Good luck!
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Out of curiosity I checked the same service we use for our Maine condo. It shows LOTS of options all around that area and beyond. See - http://www.homeaway.com/Vacation-ren...on-rentals.htm .
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM

I live just north of Tampa. We always go to Longboat Key for our beach getaway. Turtle Crawl Inn is a nice place to stay. They are individually owned condos all with waterviews. Prices are not 400.00, I think I paid 150.00 or so a few years ago. The Beach House is another one I have stayed at and loved. It is a very pretty area. Anna Maria island is just a little north with many rentals available. Siesta Key is too the south of longboat, Nice beach but I never stayed overnight there. When in Longboat check out St. Arrmand Circle. Fun place to shop and dine. Have fun.

Also I do like Treasure Island, maderia Beach and St. Pete beach, but I think Longboat is more my speed
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM

We particularly enjoyed Sanibel and Captiva. We did not have a problem getting on/off the islands, but we did plan accordingly and tried not to make the trip during "rush" hours (but we were not there over Christmas).
Aug 24th, 2009, 05:12 PM

You might be able to find something for under $2000 a week on Sanibel at Blind Pass Condominiums but anything on the beach will be very expensive.
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas and help!
Aug 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM

I've been to Siesta Key many times and love it there. The beach is beautiful, and there are many choices in condos, restaurants, etc. We love it at Siesta Dunes, a 2 bedroom condo complex right on the gulf. If you rent one of the units towards the back of the property, without a gulf view but with very easy access to the beach, the weekly rent should be around $1400-1500. Many of the units are newly remodeled and very nice. There is a large pool, hot tub, tennis courts and a sun deck between the pool and beach (with outdoor grills).
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Treasure Island is a neat area also. We've stayed at the Island Inn Resort a couple times in the past and definitely will again!

http://www.islandinnresort.com/
Aug 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Silver Sands Resort on Longboat Key, $200.00 per night for a two bedroom condo. Loved it!!!
Aug 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM

I doubt very much SSR will be $200 per night for a 2 bedroom during the Christmas week, but I may be wrong.

The availability and price during that time is totally different then rest of the year, even more difficult and pricier than Easter week/spring break.
Aug 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Just returned from a great trip to Treasure Island. Stayed at Sunset Vistas and loved it.

http://www.sunsetvistas.com/