7 Day Southern California Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents are headed out to San Diego to visit my moms brother and sister in law from Jan 24-31. We have been to San Diego a lot over the years to visit.

They are planning to go to the obvious spots like seaport village, coranado island, horton plaza.

Is La Jolla worth seeing?

Was looking for some suggestions of things to do in the Southern California area that could be done as day trips. I know they are planning a day at Downtown Disney and Universial Studios.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM

The San Diego Zoo, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and the town of Jullian come to mind. I'm sure others have their favorites.

HTtY
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:58 PM
ltt

i assume those day's in la and disneyland, they are staying up there. they are not really day trips from san diego. so assuming 2 of their nights are being spent up north, that only leaves about 5 for san diego. plenty to do in san diego depending upon their interests. yes la jolla is worth seeing. the coastal drive between san diego and la is worth a day, having a nice lunch or dinner in laguna beach.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:18 PM

Am very partial to the picturesque village of La Jolla and had an office there for years. The Cove is like taking a trip to the Med.

Another drive - and hour and a half or so - is to the artist colony known as Idyllwyld and Palm Springs is 45 minutes down the mountain from there.

And Julian is also great - for apple pie and the old mine tours as well as possibly a wine tasting at a small local winery.

And you can do Disneyland in a day - it's about 90 minutes north of SD - not during commuete hours of course.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:19 PM

But if you also want to visit Universal Studios in LA/Hollywood - that probably does require an overnight.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 06:09 AM

If your parents like beautiful ocean views and sea life La Jolla is definitely worth a stop. I'm just back from the area and spent a couple of hours watching sea lions, pelicans and dolphins at La Jolla Cove.

Mission San Juan Capristrano is about an hour north of San Diego. Very interesting and the grounds and mission are beautiful. It felt like spring with the flowers and citrus trees.

I'm not sure a day at Downtown Disney is worth it. If they are going to be in LA area overnight, I'd recommend the Getty Center and/or the Getty Villa in Malibu.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

To clarify they are staying in San Diego the Whole time so i'm just trying to get some ideas for some possible day trips that they can do. They are use to traffic as I lived in Chicago for a little bit while in college so that isn't to much of an issue.

So it sounds like La Jolla is a good place to go.

What about carlsbad? Oceanside? My mom likes antiquing and my dad is a really into sports collectiable.

Thanks for the advice so far!!
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:16 PM

Below is a page of various Sports Collectibles - and there used to be great store in the Fashion Valley Mall - but think it went out of business? There is also a consignment/antique shop on Linda Vista that had some incredible Ted Williams stuff - straight from his estate storage lockers. Not cheap but real!!!!! Can't remember the name but next/close to Fiji Yogurt:

And a second page of the antique stores in/around SD. http://www.yelp.com/biz/fiji-yogurt-san-diego,

Carlsbad is also nice - but Del Mar is closer to San Diego - and also has a nice village area - in addition of course to La Jolla, as well as visiting the Hotel Del in Coronado.

It's also fun to walk around Old Town - and see the original Mission above it.

https://www.google.com/#q=sports+collectibles+san+diego

https://www.google.com/#q=antique+sh...n+diego+county
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info I will definitly take a look at the links you posted.

Do you think the San Diego Hall of Champions Museum in Balbao Park is worth visiting?
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM

I love going to the Hall of Champions - and seeing such famous SD athletes as "The Kid, Splendid Splinter, Teddy Ballgame" - Ted Williams (whom I had the nonpareil pleasure of meeting at a HOC sports banquet), and other baseball greats such as Mr. World Series Perfect - Don Larsen, younger Yankee great - lefty David Wells, the Pads Tony Gwynn, basketball's Bill Walton, America's Cup multiple winner Dennis Connor, PGA Golfers such as Gene Littler, Billy Casper and Phil Mickelson and Craig Stadler, and LPGA great "Mickey" Wright, Women's tennis great - Maureen "Little Mo" Connolly, Boxing's Archie Moore, Olympic Medal Pole Vaulters Bill Miller and Bob Gutowski, Native American/US Marine long distance champ - Billy Mills along with Triple Jump champ Willie Gault, speedboat champ Bill Muncey, tri-athlete champ Paula Newbey-Frasier - and on and on.

Also - the great AFL Champion team - '63 Chargers - who beat the NFL champs - the Chicago Bears - in a pre-season game the next year? - were coached by the father of the modern NFL air-attack - Sid Gilman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Gillman- who had some future great coaches on his staff - including Al Davis and Chuck Knoll and others, while Don Coryell - then over at SD State/later with the Chargers - had Joe Gibbs and John Madden - all mimicking the Charger's air game - and on and on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Coryell

For more info - see: http://www.sdhoc.com/