Search

6 hours LGA to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
cpd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 hours LGA to JFK

On a March trip to Paris I will have six hours to connect between LGA and JFK (assuming everything goes well). I have searched the site and found out how to make the transfer (thank you, thank you). I have not been to New York so I do not know what I will see on a ride between the two airports. If I do arrive on time should/could I invest in a limo that includes a more interesting route. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Use the New York Airport Service shuttle; I don't think you'lll find "an interesting route". Only $13.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/fares.html
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM

It's not exactly scenic, no matter how you slice and dice it. Is it six hours exactly between what - scheduled arrival and scheduled departure?

Without too much luggage I would take the MTA bus nr. 60 into Harlem, it stops right outside the terminals, it's slow, just a city bus for 2 bucks I think, but it goes over the bridges where you get a pretty darn good look at Manhattan.

If you get off at 125th and Frederick Douglass, you can take the A train to JFK (make sure you take the Rockaway trains, not the Lefferts/Ozone Park).

You get off at Howard Beach/JFK and hop onto the new spiffy airport train that gets to the circle around all the terminals.

Now this is not the most efficient way to do it, it's just my favorite.

You can also find your way south from LGA and connect to the E train in the Jamaica direction, get off at Sulphin Blvd/Archer Ave and connect to the extension to the same new spiffy airport train. I've done that, too, it works.

Neither is fast, that's for sure, but my way costs you all of 4 bucks plus the airport train (which is something like 6 bucks if I remember correctly).

WK
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:23 AM

There is little of interest between the 2 airports. La Guardia is much closer to Manhattan. Heading to JFK, you're going in the opposite direction.

There are some interesting sites in Queens (where both airports are located) like the Noguchi museum, but not sure that would interest you or how you'd organize logistics with luggage.

Here's a page with stuff in Queens.

http://queens.about.com/od/neighborh...eens_tours.htm
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Before you make any plans I would check on how often - and by how much - your incoming flight is usually late. You may end up having less time than you think - esp with the required two hour check-in time (not arrive at airport - but actually check in time) for international flights.

If it were warmer you might spring for a limo and take some time at the Queens park along the route - but realize this would cost a LOT of money - if you want to keep the car for 3/4 hours. But March is kind of early for this - it might be early spring - or it might be 30 degrees with 6" of snow.

I would just take the shuttle from one airport to another - and organize some sort of decent lunch landside - given what you get on planes now.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
cpd
Original Poster

Hello all -

Thanks for your input. Yeah, I realize that chances are as good as not that I won't get in on time. And I don't want to stress myself out.

Really I guess my question was answered best by the fact that I will be going away from the City LGA-JFK when I thought it was just the opposite (see how silly you can be when you've never been somewhere!)

And while Wally's idea sounds interesting and I don't have very much luggage - maybe I should go stress free (hopefully) direct and save my energy for surviving solo in a foreign speaking country. Paris that is, not New York!

Thanks again
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM

There are some good restaurants in Queens. For example, Flushing has very good oriental restaurants: Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Thai. Why not tell us what kind of restaurant you'd like to try and see if somebody can make a recommendation in Queens.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:01 PM
cpd
Original Poster

That's a thought - having moved to Charleston, SC from Atlanta I have to say that good oriental food is sadly lacking here.

How about Thai? But I would need details on how to get there & then on to JFK. Anyone have ideas?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:52 AM

I'd suggest you get yourself to JFK ASAP and get your luggage checked, then do any sightseeing where you'll need a minimum of time to get to the aircraft should you have any delays returning to the airport. I'm sure missing that flight out of JFK will put a big dent in your plans.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM

cpd:

Here is a real good thai restaurant I just went to:

Bann Thai Inc
69-12 Austin Street
Forest Hills, NY 11375
Phone No. 718-544-9999

The food is very good and the restaurant is well decorated. Forest Hills is between LaGuardia and JFK.

It would probably be easiest to take a cab to the restaurant and then another cab to the airport. (You can ask at the restaurant for them to call for a cab).

(You could take public transportation but it's probably not worth the time.)