6 days in Denver starting 2/24

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2024, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. A little last minute request. We got invited to a friends family ski house in Silverthorn for a week and decided to book-end with 3 days each b4 and after in Denver. Been 25 years since I was there...wife never. Both semi-active 65+ who like seeing cities and cultures in semi immersion vs. pure tourist mode. We also like bars, restaurants, museums, cool areas where the old architecture is preserved. We are mobile and can walk 5-6 miles a day without passing out. I know its winter and we live in Hawaii so we are planning accordingly it will be cold and maybe snowy. We will rent a car since we have to get to Silverthorn anyway. Looking for recommendations on a nice middle level hotel (not sure what that means) or B&B people have actually stayed at. I only have stayed at the Brown Palace on business trips. I know some of the bigger attractions but its been awhile. My only must dos are to try and hit a high end audio store as I am an audiophile and need a piece of gear and we are storeless in HI and to see some of the wildlife areas...might not be the best season for that but if we like it we would come back in summer or fall. Any and all input totally appreciated. Sorry I am so late. Got sick and lost 4 weeks followed by having a visitor from my wifes family in Germany. Woke up and it was almost mif-Feburary. I have car res and a backup hotel but dont remember all these neighborhoods. Mahalo/thanks in advance. Aloha.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 02:06 PM

Aloha Joe. Been a number of years since last in Denver, my son attended UC, so these are from memory and hope they are still valid.

Union Station was beautifully renovated and worth a stop. The Tattered Cover is a great bookstore, with nooks and comfy chairs to sit and read, unlike the Barnes and Nobles of the world.

Biker Jim’s had great sausages. Burritos at Illegal Pete’s. D’corazon for Mexican. Snooze for breakfast, one branch in Union Station. Bistro Vendome for a nice dinner. Sam’s 3 greasy spoon with a table full of police officers, we liked it. And since you’re a local and may be hungry for fish and rice at some point, Sushi Den. They fly in their fish from Tsukiji market so good quality, food is authentic, not Japanese food for haoles ( no disrespect intended).
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 02:45 PM

View colorful butterflies in the Butterfly Pavilion, visit the unique Black American West Museum which depicts African American figures of the American West and explore the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum. You can view wildlife at nearby Rocky Mt. Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge (mule deer, bison and bald eagles). There are moose in and around Silverthorne at dawn.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 02:48 AM

At Silverthorne there is a large factory outlet. Also if you ever wanted to learn to fly fish you could do it there with trophy trout in the back water of Dillon Dam and just upstream on the Blue River.
Snow tubing available at Keystone.
Much to do in Denver. The Denver Art Museum has a wonderful Native American part. The Zoo. Botanical Garden.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 05:10 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
High end audio stores in Denver:

https://listenup.com/pages/denver

https://auralhifi.com/?utm_source=gm...mpaign=profile

https://crescendoaudio.net/

High-End Audio - Apex Audio

Gold sound-Home Page

And another vote for Sam's #3 - go early, it gets crazy busy.