Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Starting to sink in... the challenge of finding lodging for two on Maui foe NYEve and NYDay (night), starting this late...

Starting to sink in... the challenge of finding lodging for two on Maui foe NYEve and NYDay (night), starting this late...

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having a lot of good luck so far - - getting the FF (air) travel we didn't really think would be possible starting only three days ago to plan our trip to Hawaii - - and getting lots of very, very valuable info from numerous Hawaii experts here!

And I think that the more I look to finalize various details, the more I am going to need that same combination of luck and great guidance to find an optimum value for our first two nights, on Maui - - arriving Dec 31, departing Jan 2.

My budget is fairly open-ended; I'm just hoping to feel like I am getting someplace commensurate with the price. I'd prefer oceanfront or ocean view, and ideally not a big, big place. Condo/self-catering facilities are really not important since we are only going to be there two nights. Other than knowing that we want to be one one of the "good" beaches (i.e., west-facing - - not Hana area), I really do not have a notion as to whether we would like one of the better known names (Lahaina, Wailea, Kihei) or ... is a somewhere a bit more obscure okay?

I am putting effort into it, but if I only have an hour or two a day for researching, I wonder how much good places are slipping through my fingertips, literally each day I fail to start making specific calls. Being Europe-oriented, I haven't really found an equivalent of venere.com where I can check online availability without beaucoup individual telephone calls, but maybe that does exist?

I got what I thought was a good personal recommendation (I thought that it was based on actual experience there), but he retracted it less than 24 hours later (apparently it was based on his own research, and he was confused about the location).

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions... and...

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:53 PM
rex
Original Poster

Okay, for frame of reference, comments? - - on two finds in the past half hour...

Honeymoon suite, $110, available, Clarita's Upcountry Rentals - - clearly not where I want to be, but nice looking and a lot to like for this price..

Unit 207, Napili bay, $235 per night - - a premium, obviously, for location right ON beach, and reasonably close to Old Town Lahaina - - and the "unit" (I'm thinking not really any better than, or even as good as your average $85 Residence Inn "room") - - but this is what comes with the territory. no?

Or am I kidding myself? - - why NOT stay at a "big hotel" resort/complex - - perhaps there really is something decent, and nice amenities, once you get into the $250 or more range?

I wish I had a better sense of how urgently i need to make this decision!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM

I'm not a Maui nor a hotel expert. For those two days, you should act pretty quick.

You can try these sites:

www.bookit.com Plug in your dates. Use Maui as the city. If there is a price given, then the units are available. If it says "click on search to find out availability", then the units are probably not available.

www.hawaii-hotels.com It will give you a long list of hotels on the islands. Scroll to the bottom and where it says "Visit", click on either Maui hotels or Maui condos. Then the hotels or condos will give you a description.

www.hawaii.com Plug in your dates and hotel only. You can change it from "our choice' to "sort by price".

www.expedia.com Same as for hawaii.com. In fact these two seem to be the same.

www.vrbo.com You might not get anything for only two days, but worth a try. Right underneath the maps, click on: Maui
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Hi Rex,

What a joy to see you over on 'this side of the pond', hee.

Just in case, you may want to zip through my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34468430

Happy to answer any questions you may have... I'll check back...

Tiff
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Hello Rex, I feel your pain as one time we decided to go to Hawaii over the Christmas holidays and yikes everything was booked. But a good TA found us rooms. I would strongly suggest for these two night you consider a hotel/resort. And make reservations if you want a celebration dinner for either NYE and/or NYD. No doubt the hotel could help you with that. Best wishes, and knowing you, you will work this out. But it is difficut when you have so little time. Work does get in the way of life doesn't it?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Hello again Rex, you probably know about this website but just in case you don't check out http://www.visitmaui.com

There is a wealth of information there.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Ckeck www.outrigger.com.
Three of their Maui properties (all except Napili ) have availability on your dates.
Personly, I LOVE the Royal Kahana. It's a condo, great prices, right on the beach (Kahana--north of Lahaina, south of Kapalua).
You can get a great one bedroom ocean view or even oceanfront condo with the Entertainment card rate , for less than $150/night (assuming they will do Entertainment rate those dates).
Even if they don't do E rate, their Outrigger or AAA rates are very good. I love the town of Kahana, more low-keyed than the big resort areas like Kaanapali (yuck). They also have a property in the Wailea area.
Good luck!!!!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:51 AM
rex
Original Poster

Royal Kahana does look good. Found one possibly promising choice (so far) on VRBO - -

"two one-bedroom condos in Kauhale Makai also known as Village by the Sea, located at 938 South Kihei Road, Kihei"

opinions, anyone? only $110/night (holiday rate) with no cleaning fee (surprising) - - I don't expect the Ritz at this price. Considering how little we may end up being here, this might be a good value.

Will search here also for Kehei opinions. Anyone know how far to walk to the beach (they say oceanfront, but it looks like it could be more than a short dash (i.e., more than 100 yards?)

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM

One other thing that is important to know Rex, is what type of area do you and Mrs. Rex enjoy.

I think it you want a more private, relaxing experience, Kahana, or Wailea would be lovely. Wailea is more high end and can be spendy but again there are good deals to be had such as my hotel review on Renaissance above.

Lahaina and Kanapali have a little more to do, a little more touristy if you like that feel, easy walk around Whaler's Village, etc, lot of high rise hotels. Nice spot for first timers.

Kihei I found to be even more touristy. More of a condo area. Strip malls, etc. It's not my fav, but it is more affordable for many.

Napili Shores is a clean, condo area, good reputation.

Kapalua is beautiful, but can be very windy.

Hope this may help you narrow things down a bit.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM
rex
Original Poster

Thanks, so much, for the overview/"caharacterization" - - with only being there two nights (and essentially just one full day), I'm noit sure that "which area" is a maker-breaker for us. Leaning towards the Kihei/Village by the Sea condo right now, but still looking.

One new question - - if (and maybe even if not) we save money on our Maui lodging - - wondering about motorcycle rental for one day? Anybody advise - - especially if you are not experienced motorcyclists (we are not) - - typical cost? pros or cons?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Rex, Maui Revealed has little good to say about Village By The Sea (aka Kauhale Makai). To sumarize, the buildings are much closer to the road than the sea, ocean views are partial at best for most, rooms are decent sized, floorplan odd, needs an upgrade, and perhaps most disturbingly: "Resort is on a yucky beach next to a yucky creek, and to get to the ocean you have a long walk across their scraggly lawn."

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but thought you'd want to hear what at least one guidebook said.

We continue to be frustrated with finding a good place for our Feb trip. On my short list are the Outrigger Royal Kahana, the Makai Inn and the Kahei Surfside.

Good Luck.

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM

rex - I would nix the motorcycle idea, particularly because you're not experienced.

On any given day, there are 250,000 tourists visiting the islands (all of them). Many of these people are renting cars and are unaware of where they are going. They are also looking at the fabulous scenery and not watching the road or who else is sharing it with them. I'd hate to tell you how many accidents I've seen where cars hit motorscooters. It isn't pretty. Motorcycles may be bigger, but not necessarily better.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM
rex
Original Poster

Thanks, Brian - - places are always below typical price for a reason, eh? Although... previous bad reputation CAN be the reason, and sometimes a "recovering" place still needs to underprice to get business... I'll hope for current actual experience.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM

rex,
I don't know if you've already discovered this, but there are aerial photos of most hotels and condos on the 'Revealed' guidebook series website. Might help with your decision. Here's the one for Village by the Sea -

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrvillagebysea.html

One thing that I find that Hawaii lacks in general are small, upscale boutique accomodations. Good luck with your search!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Hi Rex IMHO, strongly recommend stay in W. Maui as opposed to Kihei. I'd take Royal Kahana, or nearby (there are other condos on the beafch in that area) over Kihei area.

My son and his wife just got back from a brief but wonderful three night/four day trip Maui trip. Stayed at Royal Kahana, had a fantastic big one-bedrroom oceanFRONT condo for $143/night. (Suite 1108) I stayed in a similar room huge room, an ocean VIEW (saw almost as much ocean) a few yrs ago.
THere's a pool, and great snorkeling at nearby Kapalua .GREAT beachside bkfast at The Gazebo --a few minutes drive, or a lovely walk-- up Lower Honoapiili Road (spellklng?) walk--in Napili.
Also you will be nearer to Lahaina in this location-a plus, again IMHO. Lahaina merits one trip, for its intersting history, huge banyan tree, fun shops, and HIGHLY recommended beachside sit-down romantic dinner luau, Feast at Lele. It's unusal in that food by gourmet chef, private tables, and served by wait staff, not buffet style. Great entertainment. I thbink it'd be a great way to celebrate NY EVE, if there's a show then. IF you decide to do this, CALL NOW--they fill up reservations FAST). They have a web site.
Good luck and aloha!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM

You'll probably run into minimum stay requirement problems, lots like five or seven day stays especially over Christmas.
That said I plugged your dates into orbitz.com and it returned some possibilities.
Good luck
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Good point re: min stays at condos.
However, most hotels or hotel-condos do not havge this, at leadsgt not yet. The Outrigger condos require only a two night minimum--perfect for your needs, Rex.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:47 AM
rex
Original Poster

A bit of a left turn in my lodging searh - - see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34570181

While the Aloha Pualani is certainly more expensive, its intimate "boutique" (?) character may well be worth the difference.

Not doubting the sincerity of your advice CaliNurse, but MauiRevealed - - on the wizardpub.com website - - says this about the Royal Kahana... (excerpt)

"All floors above the 2nd are considered ocean view, though some 3rd and 4th floor rooms have their views partially blocked by palm trees. Rooms are reasonably sized. The wind can make an annoying sound as it howls though the closed window frames. Their skinny sand beach sometimes accumulates a lot of smelly seaweed, so the odor is pretty unpleasant. The water here can be (but isn't always) gross."

I hope I am understanding correctly which poace you mean - this is what I find at outrigger.com - - as opposed to the Kahana Outrigger (which seems to have oly three bedroom units, and a five night minimum stay).

I hope I have not misintrpreted your guidance.

Anyway, we may throw the dice with the Aloha Pualani - - hoping that gyppielou will chime in here - - and doesn't have some ultrior motive in praising this little place so much.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:59 AM

rex,

The reviews of Aloha Pualani on tripadvisor are pretty awesome....

-Bill
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:12 AM
rex
Original Poster

Yes, I have seen those. In fact, other than steep-ish price (mentioned by Maui Revealed), I'm not sure what "gamble" it is that I think we're taking.

Just puzzled by it not being booked at all for NY weekend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information