Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

50th Birthday Travel (Avoiding black balloons etc.)

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit the milestone is approaching. I am looking for a beach house or cabin. The difficult elements seem to be my BD is on 12/27 (thought we would stay 5 nights through the New Year). Just looking for a little peace and quiet with a hot tub and dog friendly environment. Thought of Salmon Creek at Bodega, but no luck. I am looking anywhere along the coast, but any ideas about how you spent your big 50 would be helpful to my planning. Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Neopolitan

Sorry, this doesn't help, but your black balloons reminded me of the funniest 50th birthday party I ever went to. Everything was done in a "happy 60th" theme right down to the big cake in the shape of 60.
The joke of the night was "what, you're only 50? But we thought. . ."

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This will also not help in your decision only because I'm one of those people that have to take every minute of every day and try not to waste it, so I guess you could say I'm never looking for a little peace and quiet.

I look at birthdays as confirmation that I am still alive and able to do fun things, so I spent my 50th on a roller coaster in Copenhagen, eating cotton candy (or candy floss to the Canadians/English) and having a marvelous time!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:19 PM

Thanks for starting this thread applejacks. I'm looking forward to my half century next year. Or as I like to think of it: The 2nd 1/2
I don't mind the black balloon thingy. It's always fun to have a party but a trip is beginning to sound better.
Paris is nice no matter what's happening with the weather outside.

I do like that roller coaster in Copenhagen idea.

Sometimes I wish I were born in the Spring instead of Feb.
Happy Birthday!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM

Hi applejacks1 - I am turning 50 2days before you.. and have been wondering myself if this b-day will be a quiet one --- or a BIG PARTAY. I'm leaning more toward having a big bash, but definitely hoping to NOT have the 'over the hill' LaLa.. I'm going to keep checking this thread for ideas...
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

The trip finally has shaped up. We have decided to rent a house in Monte Rio, CA of all places. It is all about the house, hot tub and dog friendliness. This way we can have our kids stay over (it is not that far from Napa) and leave if they must go off to work etc.

The idea is we could invite a couple people for a low key birthday dinner on the deck (Family is Sonoma County based)if it is not raining and enjoy the riverfront location. That is Part 1.

Part 2 is that we also have rented a house with three other couples at Salmon Creek for the balance of the plannned trip. This is where the escalation of celebration leading to New Years will take place.

I think I will have a balance of solitude and celebration with this plan. I can move on to the anticipation phase now!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:02 AM

Last week I had lunch at a TGI Fridays in Dallas.There was a huge hubub going on but my I would have had to turn around to see what was going on.I opted not to do that.Finally we asked our waitron what college or sorority was celebrating over in that part of the restaurant.Young, female voices were obvious.She said it was actually a 50th Birthday Party!! We were shocked! Of course delighted as well.You know what they say: todays 60 is 50, 50 is 40, and so on.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Beachboi...What a kind person you are. Thanks for sharing that sentiment for all us folks nearing the 50 year mark!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM

applejacks1..You are welcome! I am halfway there.....
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I flew my husband to San Franciso for the weekend on his big 5-0 a few months ago. Beach Blanket Babylon, cable cars, Chinatown, Haight Ashbury, the Japanese Gardens in Golden Gate Park...it was a blast.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM

In 1957 4.3 million babies were born, more than any year during the baby boom. Invest in black balloons and other novelty items depicting over the hill!!!

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Believe it or not there's a lot of very hot stuff over that hill you young ones are so worried about..and the reason it is so hot is because of that hill that keeps the less-experienced out.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

50th has passed and AARP keeps sending me those darn "invitations"!!!

Report back that the 50th went well. We rented a great dog friendly house from Russian River Getaways. The Casa de Suenos (House info said Lee Merriweather (Miss America 48)honeymooned here,)was even better than it looked on line.The remodel has resulted in a wonderful Master suite, maintained a floor to ceiling stone fireplace and also the some of the old river charm. We had great dinners (the house had a wonderful supply of spices), soaked in the hot tub overlooking the river and played games (including the house provided Tip-it!.

We had relatives over for the low key birthday dinner and in drank a little wine. It was a great celebration with nary a black balloon in sight!
Thank again to all who came up with suggestions (and encouragement!)on this trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Sounded great AppleJacks! I'm only about 3 ish hours from that area, so I should check it out for a getaway some time. FYI, I just celebrated a fun 52 years birthday in Austin, TX 2 months ago.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Why not check out what is for rent at Sea Ranch? Its on the coast, and has lots of different type of rentals. You can also check www.healdsburgRentals.com and see what dog friendly places they might have available. I say have a great party and know that you can soon get into movie theatres at a senior rate...
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Hey Applejacks! Glad to hear you enjoyed the big day. I'm making a run over the hill myself tomorrow. I guess there's no stopping time - or the AARP from sending those darn "invitations" Three years of teasing my DH is going to come back to haunt me!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM

AppleJacks, don't let AARP intimidate you! Think positive, you are still too young for Elderhostel