50s+ Girls Trip to Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two 50+ women are visiting Chicago in early Oct. We'll be there for 2 full days while staying at the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel. Can you give suggesting on piano bars, affordable shopping, etc? We're looking at the Greeters Tour, some type of water tour or bus tour, & Second City, the Bean & Michigan Ave window shopping. & Navy Pier. It will be our first (& possibly only) trip to the windy city. Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Howl at the Moon is the big loud piano bar and Red Piano Bar is quiet and an older crowd. Greeter tours are great and I highly reccomened a river cruise. Eat in Old Town before 2nd city.

http://chicagovisitor.net
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM

My favorite places for shopping are the Macy's (originally Marhsall Field) in the State Street area. Beautiful building and lots of variety in merchandise. Sort of across the street is a Nordstroms Rack (their outlet store). If you're going to the Navy Pier, make sure to see the stained glass exhibit. It's the largest collection I've ever seen in one place. Have fun!
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:51 AM

If you are in the Loop area, have lunch at Millers Pub. Good food and fairly fast even when they were busy. For Italian dinner, Volare on Grand. The outside of the building is very deceiving. The food is wonderful.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM

What do you consider affordable? The main shopping districts are the Mag Mile and State Street. As the previous post says, you'll find Macy's and Nordstrom Rack on State as well as H&M, TJ Maxx and Filene's Basement.

Michigan Avenue has all of the above, except Marshall's in place of TJ Maxx, plus the upper end stores such as Saks, Neiman's Nordstrom, Tiffany's, Burberry, Bloomingdale's and Chanel. Check www.themagnificentmile.com for a directory.

The best boat tours are those run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation. The dock is at Michigan and Wacker, across from the Hyatt. For schedules, check www.architecture.org.

To find restaurants or other events while you're here, you can check www.chicagoreader.com or www.metromix.com. On both, you can search for restaurants by neighborhood, price range or cuisine.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 07:38 AM

I second GardenDiva's suggestion of Miller Pub! I've always had great food and great service in a good central location.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate the information on the two piano bars. I'd read about both online, but this helps me with a decision. It looks as if a second trip is in the making.