Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

5 weeks in America - where would you go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to America and I would love to know how you would spend 5 weeks.

Never mind our interests, ages and Budget I'd just love to hear how different people would spend 5 weeks in the USA if they had never been there before.

Looking forward to reading your comments!!
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 05:51 AM

Wow! Well, I don't know where you're flying in from but here are my ideas and you can reverse this if you're flying in from the "other side".

NYC - 1 week
Boston - 3 days
Savannah, New Orleans
National Parks in the West such as in Utah, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone
San Francisco and then get a car and drive up the coast to Oregon/ Washington.

You'll have to do some flying.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 05:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Never mind our interests, ages and Budget I'd just love to hear how different people would spend 5 weeks in the USA
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi JanisJ

This was more of a curiosity thing for me, I wasn't asking people to recommend where I should go (hence the title where would YOU go.) I am genuinely interested to see how people would spend their 5 weeks.

I have time on my hands to wade through all the comments and if it happens I stumble across hidden gems then that's an extra bonus.

So the question is, no budget, no set time of year it doesn't matter what my interests are - where would you go?
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 06:57 AM

Are you a travel writer fishing for ideas?
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would spend 3 weeks in the west, visiting the national parks. Then finish up with 2 weeks, relaxing in Hawaii.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 08:23 AM

So you are really asking for responses only from foreigners visiting the US - since locals have way more than 5 weeks to visit - they have their whole lives to visit as many places as they want.

Also refusing to provide info on time of year, interests and members of party mean as that the people who respond need to put that all in so you can understand what they do.

Frankly, I think this is just a nonsense - and it's really not fair to ask people to put that much time and energy into this post unless you are willing to pay for it. I am billed out to clients at $350 per hour - are you willing to pay?
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Dianedancer sounds like a great way to spend 5 weeks!

MichelleY that sounds lovely! My parent honeymooned in Hawaii many years ago and they said it was bliss.

Sarahava i don't know much about Detroit, it must be interesting to include on your list

Nytraveller apologies if I've got the wrong idea about what this is, but I though this was an opinion forum where people post and discuss ideas. I asked a general question for a bit of fun, certainly if people don't have the time or the want to join in then by no means do they have to reply. And congratulations on your hourly rate, if only we could all be so lucky, I do hope it wasn't too costly to yourself to take the time of out your day to write a reply.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 09:51 AM

I prefer the outdoors and extremes, so I would visit Alaska, northern California (redwoods and sequoias), Death Valley and somewhere in the Rockies (probably a combination of Colorado and Yellowstone).

Basically you are asking for ideas on a dream trip with no constraints. I don't know why some people can't understand that - perhaps they have never allowed themselves to dream but instead stay bogged down in the mundane? In any case, ignore them and enjoy the process of discovering new places and planning a great trip.

I promise I won't charge for that advice.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Even 5 weeks isn't a lot of time for all there is to see in the US.

I would not go to Detroit.

If I were coming here for the first time, I'd want to see NY, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco, and in between, several of the National Parks.

As a visitor, I'd probably also want to see Las Vegas.

And I'd like to drive up the Pacific Coast H'way.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 10:36 AM
J62

If I had one month to travel in the US, I would spend it this way:

Where:
2 Weeks in Southwest Utah - Zion/Bryce/Moab area.
2 weeks rafting through the Grand Canyon.

When: May/Early June
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 10:37 AM

Time of year makes a huge difference to me since I cannot stand cold so for example I would not visit New York in winter.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 10:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've spent hundreds of weeks traveling in the States and I've enjoyed almost all of it -- could go back to just about any of the places . . . except maybe Detroit

But my Musts would be Yosemite in the Spring, Big Sur in the early Fall, the California Redwoods and Mendocino in the early Fall. Yellowstone in early Fall, the Utah National Parks in late Spring, NYC any time between October and April. Acadia and the Maine Coast in September. Chicago for a weekend any time. Seattle for a weekend any time. Any Hawaiian island for a week. A one week Alaska Cruise and then 2 more weeks for Denali and Kenai. The Grand Canyon. Washington DC and Williamsburg any time NOT in summer. Charleston. . . . and that's my short list.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Oh wow wonderful responses! I hope you all had a nice time dreaming like I am ��
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 03:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Choose from the followingoston, NY,C, Washington,DC, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 03:55 PM

No need to be snide because someone doesn't choose to play your game. I have no problem spending time answering legitimate questions but don't like to be manipulated.

And if you really want an answer send me $175 and I'll give you half an hour.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Then get off the thread and go do something productive. What exactly is your problem? Get a life.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

I just don't see your need for you to reply on a post that you are clearly not interested in?

I have plenty of great feedback from other people who have been very helpful, your $175 in my opinion is going to be much better spent by me experiencing one of their recommended experiences rather than hearing your opinion. Have a lovely day.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 02:03 PM

Choose from the followingoston, NY,C, Washington,DC, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco.

I live in Seattle, but my choices would be to start with California, Arizona, Utah, and New York City.

Frankly, I think this is just a nonsense - and it's really not fair to ask people to put that much time and energy into this post unless you are willing to pay for it. I am billed out to clients at $350 per hour - are you willing to pay?

It It not compulsory to respond to every post, and it is easy to write something to the point of the question without putting in a lot of time and energy or throwing a hissy fit?

HTtY
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 02:31 PM

"I am billed out to clients at $350 per hour..."

I think advice from a good attorney or tax accountant in NYC costs a lot more than that. So what reason would the OP have to trust that your travel advice would be any good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -