4th of July, 2003 in NYC??

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Carrie

4th of July, 2003 in NYC??

I have an opportunity to visit NYC from Friday July 4th for 2 nights, or perhaps in mid August. What is the 4th of July like for a tourist? I can live without firewords, actually, I'd love to see a good Broadway show...
The 4th of July falls on a Friday, is the city a madhouse or do people vacate? (since this is a Friday during 2003, it's still a 3 day weekend) July 4th or mid August...thanks for opinions. Carrie

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:51 PM
a

For the last few years, July 4th has been phenomenally hot and humid. August will likely be no different.

I am willing to bet most people will try to get out of the city. The city is usually less crowded all summer long. On the other hand, you will find the traffic in and out of the city to be crazy.

I know you wrote that seeing the fireworks was not a big interest. However, seeing them does not usually take to much effort or discomfort (except for the heat). You can walk just north of the UN right before the show is to start and then walk back to your hotel. I would try to avoid public transportation just after the fireworks.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Tammie

Well, over the 4th weekend, the city will be positively mobbed with tourists. Locals may or may not "escape" to elsewhere. Hotel rates will be high and tickets to Broadway shows will be scarce. The weather will likely be positively miserable (HOT, HUMID). Hotel rates and Broadway show ticket may be more favorable in mid-August, but the weather is likely to be just as miserable.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:37 AM
suzanne

Residents vacate the city in droves but are displaced by throngs of tourists. If you want quiet, stay in a more residential area (like the Upper West Side) and away from Times Square!

I'd say the 4th of July would be better than mid-August, If you're concerned about the heat. August is almost always unbearably hot and humid; I believe early July has typically been cooler.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:25 PM
jen

We went to NY last 4th of July. It was without a doubt the most miserable weather I have ever encountered in my life, and I live in Minnesota. It was the most ungodly hot and humid week known to mankind. Going into the subway was like entering the 9th circle of hell. We couldn't just sit in our hotel because our son had never been to NY so we hit the streets and we have never been so miserable in our lives. I shudder at the memory....Sorry, I just had to get that out.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
The Devil

wimp.

You better get used to it.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Flynn

If I had a choice to visit, I'd arrive for the July 4th weekend. There's more energy in the city even though it's hot. It's hot in August too but have you ever heard the expression "dog days?" Well, Carrie, by mid-August many people can't wait for Labor Day and Fall to arrive. I believe there's also more events happening around July 4th. Some Broadway shows in August have summer replacements as well. Just my two cents.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Tammy

We got tickets to see Gypsy with Bernadette Peters for August...it never occured to me that this might be a time when she takes off for vacation. YIKES, I hope she's starring in Gypsy in mid August when we're in NYC. We didn't have a choice of vacation dates so it is what it is!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:21 PM
barbra

Most Broadway actors do not take a vacation until at least 6 months into the run.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:07 AM
xxx

I was in NYC From July 4-14th last year and over the 4th holiday, it was a little crowded but I've seen it much worse. The week after, the weather was cool, mid 70's believe it or not, and not crowded at all. The hot weather prior to and during the 4th was a heat wave.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Cindy

I was in NYC over the July 4 holiday a few years ago, and vowed never to do it again. The weather was unbelievably hot and humid, and as a result the air quality was horrendous. We got tickets to watch the fireworks from a boat on the river - we weren't all that impressed, and actually it wasn't a whole lot cooler out on the water than it was in the city. New York is great in the spring and fall, and often not so bad in the winter, but I avoid it in the summer. I have a daughter who lives there and that's the one time of year that I don't visit her.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:38 AM
me

All the way downtown, near battery park, the streets are closed off to traffic and there is a big street fair. Battery Park holds a free concert usually with a fairly popular musician or band and some lesser know acts. It's a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.