Search

42nd Street

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
42nd Street

My husband and I will be in New York from April 29 through May 4 celebrating our 53rd anniversary. We want to see the show "42nd Street". Should I wait until we get there or should I buy my tickets on the internet before we leave?
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM

It's fine to buy them in advance, but only if you do it through theatremania or playbill or somewhere else where you can get a discount code to use with telecharge. You can definitely get half price tickets at TKTS on the day of the show, but you can pick and choose discounted tickets in advance on the internet and get better seats. You can't get the codes for this far in advance, however. You'll probably have to wait until at least mid-March, probably early April for May 4 tickets.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Patrick. I was wondering why discounted tickets didn't show up yet. I will wait and order my tickets at a later date.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM

Go to hitshowclub.com. Sign up to receive their newsletter. They will give you discount codes that you use on the ticket site. They are currently discounting 42nd street through end of March. I saw 42nd street twice last year. Stood in line once, booked online with the discount code once. Payed about $15 more by booking online but saved time and hassle factor and was in the 3rd row! It was the best!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM

I had center about 8 rows back- perfect for the full effect of the dance numbers. 3rd row would be a little close for me. I got my tickets from TKTS heading to the booth about 20-30 minutes before show time. I most always get my tickets late and have had some excellent late released seats, including for 2 shows between very busy Christmas/New Years week. I'm headed back this Wed- Sun. I did get Hairspray ticket via playbill discount- never at TKTS.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM

I'm flabbergasted, BudgetQueen. When did Playbill sell discounted tickets to Hairspray???
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:43 PM

I got discounted tickets for Hairspray with one of the discount codes as well. Broadwaybox I think it was.

And, Harvey Fierstein is leaving May 2nd, so we are thrilled.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Whatever you do, don't get tickets in the first row of the balcony. I was given the tickets for Christmas otherwise I would have been disappointed. This is a show where you want to see the dancers feet. Also, the air conditioner blows a steady blast of cold air on your neck. I wore my coat and scarf throughout act two. Otherwise, it's a great show. Did'nt realize people could still tap dance or cared to learn.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Patrick, there was a brief special offer for midweek performances of Hairspray. I believe the period of the special offer is just about over. In part because of our lousy winter weather, theater business has been down during early 2004 so almost all the shows (including the hits like Hairspray, Wicked and Mamma Mia) have come out with discount offers for midweek performances during January and February.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Guess I was snoozing. Not that it makes any difference, since I won't get back up to the city until April. I had seen the specials for Mama Mia and Wicked, but was surprised about the Hairspray ones.

By the way, funny article about Harvey Fierstein in NYTimes the other day. In two years he has missed only half of one performance (when he was too sick to go on after intermission). They claim every time he talked about taking a vacation, they'd mention Nathan Lane filling in for him, and the talk of vacation went away. By the way he's being replaced my Michael McKean (Laverne and Shirley) for those who haven't heard.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:01 AM

Guess what, Patrick? I was at that performance of Hairspray when Harvey Fierstein missed the second act! Fortunately, it was the second time for me seeing the show. Incidentally, the good news is that his understudy did a good job, which told me that the show can certainly survive and thrive without him! PS: Kathy Brier, who replaced Marissa Jaret Winokur as Tracy, is as good as the original!
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:33 AM

Looking at tickets for 42nd street. would orchestra right, row d, seats 10-16 be good? Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:18 PM

Wow....I plan to be in NYC the same dates....meeting friend from Tokyo...neither of us of have been to NYC.

Just wondering.....did you have any trouble finding a hotel??.....Have looked at many....any tips???

Happy 53rd....enjoy your stay
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:19 PM

blep, have you looked a seating chart. Those are in the sixth row, which is down pretty close, which is good, but only two seats in from the side wall. You will have a very sidewise view of the stage, so some effects like the mirror effects and chorus line stuff will be more than a bit distorted. On the other hand, I'd probably choose those over something way back under the balcony, or back more than two or three rows in the mezzanine.

You can go to www.playbill.com and if you look in the left hand colum, way near the bottom, you'll see a place to click for seating charts for all theatres.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:37 PM

In my opinion, Row D/10-16 are too far to the side. In that theater, for me, anywhere in center orchestra would be better.

If you are ordering online, you can often select "center orchestra" as opposed to "best available".

For discounts, it's best to sign up at ALL the websites for e-mail notifications. Some e-mail you sooner than others, and some discount codes have better seats sometimes than others.

I, personally, would never tell anyone "You can definitely get half price tickets at TKTS on the day of the show". Last time we walked by, there were many, many folks disappointed that there were tickets for NO musicals left when they got to the front of the line.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Circa, I bid for a 3 star hotel on Priceline for $100 and got the Clarion Fifth Avenue Hotel. It looks like it is in a very good location. I guess I'll find out when I get there.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Haoneygram.....cool....I have not gotten hotel res yet....still checking....am a bit timid about the priceline routine....If it were just me I would try it...tks