40th Birthday in NY-Ideas anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip early Jan to NYC and I need some help. I'm impressed with all the info passed through this board and would really benefit from your input. I appreciate all suggestions, but I do have some questions:
I've never booked a package online before and am hesitant to do so, but would if I understood it better. Which company has the lowest risk and is easiest to use. I'm a mom of 3 year old twin boys, so my time is at a minimum to do alot of research.
We will stay 3 nights and could spend around $600 ea. on a package that includes air & hotel.
Somewhere in the Time Sq. area would be fine.
I understand rooms may be small, that's fine as long as it's clean.
I know early Jan will be cold, but we can't wait to just be there and take it all in. We'll hit some museums, a show, some great food and no kids! Thanks for any tips you could throw my way.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:43 PM

To "understand it better", you'll just have to spend some time and do a bit of research on your own. You didn't mention your departure city, or your specific dates, but $600 for three nights, including airfare, is whopping low (no matter your departure place)...even in January.

You might want to check out weekend packages for hotels/airfares at Hotwire. Priceline, usually, all depending, has the better deals, but bidding would require considerable time and research ,so as to bid the most intelligently. And there are any number of other avenues - Expedia, for example.

Though January is "low" season in NYC, you'd be fortunate, if you don't know otherwise, to even acquire hotel accomodations for three nights for your $600 for a "clean" room.

You'll find, if you peruse the multitude of posts within this extraordinary forum, a plethora of tips and recomendations for booking a trip to NYC.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:03 PM
BAK

I don't think of New York as a "package" city like so many other destinations.

I think of it as an air-fare is one thing and the hotel is another thing, kind of a place.

Buy yourself a Sunday NY Times, and look in the travel section, and you'll get an idea of winter weekend hotel packages (not airfare) and I think you'll find several $125 / $150 per night, for two people, packages. So that's $400-$500 total for a place to sleep.

After that, the challenge is to find $300 per person airfare from wherever you live to NY and back again.

Again, you might find some deals in ads in the NY Times on Sunday.

Remember you need food money, taxi money, shopping money, bus money, tour bus money, boat cruise money, etc. You reach into your pocket in New York City much more often than you do at many resorts, for instance.

BAK

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

The $600 mentioned was for each of us for a total of $1200,for 3 night stay Jan 8 through Jan 11, 2004.
Looking at hotels near Time Square and would like to find one that offers a nice breakfast.
Which of the online companies would be easiest to deal with?
Thanks
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention, coming from Houston to NY.
Thanks
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Would recommend www.quikbook.com for hotels. Reasonable rates generally.
I know 3 hotels in the midtown area. Sofitel (www.sofitel.com ) on 44th between 5th and 6th. Excellent but can be pricey.
Clarion 5th ave ( in the low 30's ), Friends have told us it is a good hotel and reasonable.
The Wolcott ( www.wolcott.com ). Very reasonable but basic. I haven't stayed there for about 5 years but it was ok for the money. Its on 31st and 5th.

Remember whatever rate you see will have various taxes added other than just sales tax. Occupancy taxes etc.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Forget about a package IMO. Both Continental & American have non-stop flights on your dates for $249/person rountrip from Houston to La Guardia-the closest airport to the city. Book one. You now have $230/night for hotel which is PLENTY to get a great place at that time of year!

Then, either go to quikbook.com & pick a hotel for $200/night (tax will be added)or bid on priceline for midtown west area which is the theater district. Forget about the breakfast issue. Many hotels don't offer it (& it's not included if you bid on Priceline) & you can find very cheap breakfasts all over the city.

Another option is to look at the Park South Hotel which has weekend packages that include theater tickets & breakfast (& sometimes $ toward a meal in their restaurant which is good!). Their website is parksouthhotel.com. It's not in the theater district but a decent location.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Just check quikbook for you & there are WONDERFUL hotel options for your dates at around $200/night. The Benjamin (NOT in the theater district but on the east side-midtown) is available for a deluxe queen room including 1 breakfast (I think this means for both of you on 1 morning) for just over $200. This is a great hotel. (Look at reviews of hotels on tripadvisor.com) In the theater district the Westin, the Millenium Broadway and the Iroquois (a smaller boutique hotel) were also just a few within price range.

Bidding on Priceline will make this even cheaper. Go to betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com for info & help with bidding.. Here is a link (I hope it works) to the hotel list that Priceline bids get from biddingfortravel.

http://pub210.ezboard.com/fpriceline...cID=1974.topic

I personally would bid on 4* in midtown west and upper midtown-central park south. I know it's confusing & may take some time, but you could wind up saving $100/night by going this route-meaning you could get a 4* hotel for $130/night. What you could also do is book a room that's cancellable through quikbook & decide later whether to try Priceline.

Good luck!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:11 AM

I think your $1200 budget will be more than enough. I was able to get a package deal through Hotwire for 4 round-trip tickets and 4 nights at the Westin in Times Square for $1700--and that's for Dec. 26-30. I booked it in Sept., so maybe we got cheaper prices because we shopped early. This is the first time I've booked a package too, but I got the idea from posters here and decided to give it a try. The deal with Hotwire is that once you type in the days of your trip, they offer you four hotels with varying prices. The disadvantage is that you have no idea what airline you'll be on or what time your flights will leave and arrive. We took the chance and are thrilled with our departure times--early in the morning the day we leave home and late afternoon on the day we leave NYC. You will need to expect a layover. Using Hotwire was a cinch.

It's certainly worth a try. Once you see their prices and hotel prices, you can decide whether or not it will work for you.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:17 AM

The Grand Union Hotel just off Madison Ave, I visited recently and thought it was a great deal and a good location. It is new and the rooms are a bit bigger than most in the city and it is very nicely decorated. The price on the room is around $100 a night and if you go to www.hotels.com it is even a bit less than the rack rate through the hotel.

There are some cute places for breakfast all over the city.

Delta usually has good fares from Houston to NYC, so try the www.deltaairlines.com site for reservations.

I agree you really don't need a package deal here, and since it is off season most of the hotels are not booked.

Have a GREAT time, and let us know if you have any more questions.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:45 AM

As many of the others have said I would recommend giving priceline a try using the website biddingfortravel.com. Read the FAQ section then post a bidding strategy and one of the moderators will help you. It is simple once you figure out the rules. I am staying at the Renaissance in Times Square for $150/night and the rates I found on hotel website were around 400/night. Also, check for air specials now and keep checking back or if your arrival time is flexible use priceline for your air tickets. I have 4 year old twins and I'm sure you are as thrilled to have a vacation without kids as I am! Good luck!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:31 AM

We've had great luck with the Hotwire packages, too. The hotel/air package I booked for Christmas was hundreds less than I could have booked separately through other resources. With the Hotwire packages, you are able to select a hotel before booking.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Look at the Sheraton Russell. Small hotel -- if you get a room on the club floor, you will have breakfast included; it's more than adequate. I'm staying this weekend for 199/night.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! This info will give me a great start on my homework. I appreciate it.