Reload this Page >

4 star, $89 --Expedia?

Search

4 star, $89 --Expedia?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:11 AM
PJ

4 star, $89 --Expedia?

Could I go wrong in taking the $89 per night bargain rate at a 4 star hotel, downtown area? Expedia will let me know which hotel it is after booking. And does the fine print above the price stating "average rate per night" mean it could be a lot more? I've never used sites that book similar to hotwire and am kind of leary.
Thanks!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Judy

Are you sure you mean Expedia? I thought with them you knew the hotel before booking, and that it was just with Priceline & Hotwire that you didn't find out until you were committed. Did something change?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:14 AM
PJ

Sorry, this should have been posted in the San Francisco forum.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:16 AM
here

I've never used this and haven't read about it but I would interpret "average rate per night" to mean that the rate may vary from night to night, but the average rate of the time frame specified would be what they indicate. I'd be interested in more info if anyone has used this.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Susan

PJ, there is no San Francisco forum, but if someone selected California from the search menu, your post would come up.

I have seen expedia doing this as well. Not knowing their geographic definition of 'downtown' makes it difficult to recommend doing this. Have a look at quikbook.com and see if you can find a similar low rate, but with quikbook you'll know the name of the hotel. Good luck!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:19 AM
PJ

Yes, it's expedia. It states "exclusive limited time offer for expedia customers" and they give you three choices, 4 star downtown, 3 star fisherman's wharf, 4 star fisherman's wharf.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:22 AM
dennis

expedia is pretty trustworthy, I've never done this with them before. I have used hotwire and found that their version of 4 stars is very accurate and trustable. you could probably get the same rate on hotwire, who I have experience with and would recommend.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:30 AM
andy

A 4 star in downtown SF would probably be the Hilton or the Westin St Francis.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:44 AM
John

Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and look at the "hotel list" on the San Francisco page. That will show you the star rankings for hotels that have been obtained through Priceline.com for various parts of the city. As you can see, there are numerous Priceline hits for the likes of the Hilton or Hyatt in the $50-$70 range. The Expedia rankings ought to be pretty similar. I guess given the choices I'd shoot for a Priceline room if I could save 30 or 40 bucks a night. Do check out biddingfortravel.com, though, for excellent pointers on bidding through Priceline.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:08 PM
jpm

I have used Expedia extensively over the past several years and have recently noticed this new offer they have - but with airline tickets instead of hotels. I've been pleased with the airline tickets I've purchased (they give you the price, you buy, then they tell you the times). I would think their hotel offers would be just as good.

I like this approach over Pricelines fake bidding process.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Alan

Topping for Willie