Reload this Page >

First Time in Santa Fe

Search

First Time in Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Christina

First Time in Santa Fe

I will be traveling to Santa Fe in October and I would like some advice about the area. I booked my hotel stay at the Inn of the Governors. Is this a nice hotel (nice ambience, good service, etc)? Any advice on other great hotels (no more than $200/night) would be appreciated.
Please also advice on great New Mexican / Southwestern restaurants.
Many thanks!!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:42 AM
xxxx

I stayed at the Inn of the Govenors last summer. It was very nice. We stayed in a standard room and it eas pretty small for a family of 5. That was all that was available. The rooms are nicely decorated. The breakfast was excellent and included. The pool area was small but nice. Overall, the hotel had a lot of charm and the location was great.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:05 AM
David

Christina,

The Inn of the Governors is perfectly fine. Just a couple of blocks off the Plaza and within walking distance to most everything.

As far as other hotels go, my favorites are Inn of the Anasazi, Inn at Loretto and Inn on the Alameda.

My personal favorite is The Inn at Loretto (go to www.hotelloretto.com to see a picture). Beautiful adobe style full-service hotel with a great lounge & fireplace and wonderful, spacious rooms. Many of the rooms have balconys overlooking the hills and town.

If you go to santafeliving.com you can see info and pictures of all these hotels. Don't let the listed rates fool you, I have always managed to talk them down in price.

Good Luck,

Davidcs

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:15 AM
David

Oops! Forgot to give you some restaurants recommendations.

1. Pasqual's: Great locals place with wonderful food. Call ahead for EVERY meal as they're always busy. Very casual.

2. Corndance: Located in the Hotel Santa Fe, this is a wonderful little authentic southwestern restaurant featuring S/W and American Indian dishes.

3. El Farol: Fun place that serves Spanish tapas, Paella, etc. Flamenco dancing and entertainment on certain nights.

4. Geronimos: Excellent.

5. Dragon room: Great place for margaritas.

Have Fun!

Davidcs

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Kat

I recently stayed at the Inn on the Alameda and Hotel St. Francis. Both are within easy walking distance (few blocks) of the Plaza and other sites. Both are nicely appointed, with Inn on the Alameda being my personal favorite. It is southwest decor, with awesome beds and bathroom. Also a grand breakfast buffet and wine and cheese in the afternoon which is included in the room rate. The room I was in had a private patio. The rooms run ~ $200 a night.

St. Francis is on the historic register and is quite lovely. I stayed in a "petite" room which is small but quite adequate (nice bed/bath) for 1 or 2 if you do not plan to stay in your room much. It is across the street from Pasqual's which has great breakfasts and is a "must do" when in Santa Fe.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Rob

For New Mexican food, our two favorites were "The Shed" and "Maria's" from our recent trip. Outside of town we also liked "Restaurante de Chimayo" in the town of Chimayo. Have a fun trip!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Barbara

Recently returned from first trip to Santa Fe. We stayed at Inn of the Anasazi and La Posada. I thought Inn of the Anasazi was great, nicer than La Posada, but La Posada had a pool and spa, so each had their plusses (no minuses). Meals were great: SantaCafe, Inn of the Anasazi, Pauls were great; Pasquals very very good. Rancho de Chimayo was a BIG disappointment. Much better food at southwestern chains like Rio Grande and Chevys. Cowgirl Cafe fun for lunch, Pink Adobe also fun for breakfast, Plaza Cafe great for cheap breakfast.