Search

4 Seasons/Hyatt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:23 AM
jjp12

4 Seasons/Hyatt

For our honeymoon next June we are trying to decide between staying at the
4 Seasons in Wailea or the Hyatt on Ka'anapali. Can anyone give me pros/cons of both hotels?

Thanks!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:27 AM
Jack

FS: pros: feels more intimate and less crowded than Hyatt, rroms are better and bathrooms much better at the FS, better personal service, more things to do and see on Maui than Kauai.

Hyatt: pros: more beautiful grounds than FS, much better pool area, Kauai is prettier and feels more romantic than Maui.

Personally, if you were choosing solely basefd on hotel quality, I'd choose the FS Big Island. (But that wasn't part of your question, now was it?)

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:55 AM
Olive Oyl

Jack, jjp is asking about the Hyatt on Maui, not Kauai.

Just a general comment as I haven't been in that Hyatt in 15 years, and never in that 4 Seasons, 4 Seasons as a chain, is more highly thought of overall, and without knowing anything specifically about the individual hotels in question, one would normally assume that 4 Seasons would be the better of the two. *When* I was in that Hyatt however, it was absolutely beautiful, with spectacular views, whether you were oceanside or mountain view.

I recently saw a rating of chains somewhere, (Conde Nast maybe?) with 4 Seasons ranked #1, followed by Ritz Carlton. Park Hyatts fell around #4 as I recall. Ka'anapali is too big to be a Park, but it's a lovely hotel on beautiful grounds. I wouldn't think you could go wrong with either one.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:00 AM
Jack

Oh geez....minor error there, eh?
Thanks Olive.
Reading this post quickly during lunch I think I assumed if someone were to compare a Hyatt to the FS it would have had to have been the Hyatt Kauai.
The Hyatt Kaanapali also has beautiful grounds and public areas, but compared to the FS Maui, this one's a hands down, no contest decision in favor of the FS IMO.
Sorry for the hasty reply above.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:21 PM
mary

Just stayed at the Hyatt Maui this summer--it is lovely in all respects. From the past threads, it sounds like the 4 Seasons is better, but definitely more expensive--so you price and decide for your individual budget!! Happy honeymoon!!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:46 PM
Kim

I have stayed at the Hyatt on Maui and next to the Four Seasons on Wailea at the Grand Wailea--so now I am going to throw this suggestion to you--stay at the Manele Bay Hotel on Lanai--this was our favorite and what a great place for a honeymoon!!! Good Luck--p.s Conde Nast magazine just came out with the 100 Best--Go out and buy it!!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:31 AM
Mike

Just back from Kauai, Lanai and Oahu:

In MHO I would do Kauai or Maui. We spent our honeymoon (4 yrs ago) split between the Hyatt Kauai and the Hyatt Maui. We prefer the Hyatt Kauai and Kauai in general better.
Hyatt Maui is 18 story (convention Hotel)although extremely beautiful-no complaints AT ALL. However, you can't beat the Hyatt Kaui. Gorgeous. We've been back twice since.

I would not recommend Lanai. While Manele Bay is an awesome resort, you don't get to take part in, and experience, the Hawaiian culture the same as if you spent your time in Maui or Kaui.
There is more to do on Maui than Kauai, but still plenty to do on Kauai. If people think there is little to do on Kauai, there is less to do on Lanai.

On Kauai: Snorkel, Boat ride (Napali coast), Waimea Canyon, Kayak, hike etc.
You will find all of them very easy to relax. Maui will have the most offerings regarding restaurants, Kauai second.
I hope this helps...Good luck

Mike

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 11:20 PM
Dave

Mike, I, too, would not return to Manele Bay. While the grounds are certainly gorgeous, the rooms/decor are not as large/nice as I've found at some of the other 5-stars on the islands, and the beach was disappointing as well!

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 05:21 AM
Cousin Oliver

Here's a suggestion, how about answering jjp12's question? He/she didn't ask for opinions on hotels on Lanai. They asked for opinions on either the FS or the Hyatt. Ok, now...I have stayed at the Hyatt and personally loved it. Very tropically landscaped grounds, the best jacuzzi I've ever been in; even comes with a waterfall. Grottos, brand new spa, great location and the interlocking pools are fabulous. They have some very nice resturants. I suggest getting the oceanfront rooms if it's feasible.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 08:20 AM
Nutshell

The Hyatt Maui has only one major drawback:
it's not nearly as nice as the Four Seasons.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:36 AM
kwl

I think Cousin Oliver has described the Hyatt on Kauai above, right? Or, is the Hyatt Maui really like that? I had the impression that the Hyatt Maui was similar to your "typical" hotel, nothing super out-of the ordinary.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:17 PM
OliveOyl

No, kwl, that describes the Maui Hyatt as well. IMHO both the grounds and hotel with its open air lobby are beautiful. It is *not* in any way, your "typical hotel".

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 01:52 AM
Dave

Okay, Cousin Oliver, here's my 2 cents worth: The Four Seasons is VASTLY SUPERIOR to the Hyatt in every imaginable way possible--PERIOD!!!

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 07:38 AM
Eric

I just returned from Maui two months ago. The hyatt on Kauai is vastly superior to the Hyatt on Maui. The Hyatt on Maui's rooms were old, dark, dingy and unimaginative. The resort was showing its age. I would not return. If you want to stay in K then I would choose the Sheraton. We visited there and the place was superior and the beach was superior as well. As for the 4 Seasons on Wailea. We visited Wailea and found the food very good in the four seasons and the resort quite nice. It was vastly superior to the Hyatt. Only drawback was I was unable to see the rooms. The pool area at the HYatt on Kauai is vastly superior to the one on Maui. Kauai has tide pools(lazy river type feel) A synthetic sand beach at the pool area, a vastly superior beach and view. The rooms were not great, but vastly superior to the Hyatt in Maui. As for the Manele Bay(I know this is off the question). It is vastly superior to any of the resorts mentioned in this post. The food was incredible, the beach long and large, your could see the dolphins playing in the bay as the sailing ships went by, there were real "tide pools' with sea life, but the pool area was just a pool. The resort is small enough not to be crowded(this is not the case with the Hyatts) and the service was excellent. The golf resorts were very nice and significantly challenging. If you are looking for a luau and made up touresty stuff then it wouldn't be the resort for you. I would say it would be an excellent place to relax and honeymoon as attested by the fact that we met many honeymooners during our stay. Enjoy your honeymoon where ever you may go. Oh last, but not least, we were told that the Hyatt on Maui would be undergoing renovation in September, I would check to see if this is true before I would consider this hotel since it definitely needs it!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Cousin Oliver

Dave?

Relax. Yes, I agree with you that the FS is superior to the Hyatt on Maui, but I didn't stay there or check it out, I simply gave my input on a hotel I did stay at. If you want my opinion on my favorite resorts from hotels that I've VISITED while on Maui, that would be: the Westin, Aston Ka'anapli Shores, Hyatt, Ritz Kapalua, Maui Prince, Sheraton, Royal Lahaina, Kamaole Sands, Marriott and the Grand Wailea. Now, which one was my favorite? Hands down, the Grand Wailea.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 12:23 PM
wendy

I stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea in February and was so impressed! They really go out of their way to remember you, what you like, how you like it, etc. I just can not say enough about the staff there. Maui is also my favorite Island as I think there are unlimited things to do and see. From the beach at the FS you can snorkle with the turtles, kayak or just lounge. The rooms and especially bathrooms- even in our regular room- where fantastic. Some other guests staying at the FS when we were there were Arnold Swartzenager and Maria Shriver, Oprah Winfrey, Eddie Murphy and Jim Palmer. Hey if it's good enough for them.....