4 quite days in Hana or Molokai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to spend some quite relaxing time during the end of our trip - Anyone been to BOTH Hana and Molokai and can tell me which they like better.

We will have already spent time on Kauai (7 days), BI (5 days) and Wailea (5 days) so will have done the civilized stuff. For those who think we should stay in one place, I understand your reasons, but we truly enjoy the change of scenery and places without driving back to the same place every night. Packing is no big deal to us.

We can drive to Hana and stay there or take the Ferry to Molokai. We want to stay at one of these two and I am thinking that with both of them being so remote from restaurants and night life that Molokai might be more unique than anything else we will do. The cliffs have to be as impressive as Hana and many on this board don't like the road to Hana so...........anyway - I'd appreciate your thoughts - if you've been to BOTH.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:57 PM

I have been to both Hana and Molokai - would need to know more about you to say which I'd recommend. I love the road to Hana - to me it is relaxing and scenic to drive, not at all stressful - and I enjoyed Molokai, too, though a one day guided tour of the island was enough for me. You will not be able to see the sea cliffs either from the ferry or by driving - they are in a remote area that is inaccessible unless you do the West Maui - Molokai helicopter tour from Maui, which will show you spectacular scenery but does not land there. Hope this helps.

Wendi
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:04 PM
gyppielou

Can't help you since I've not been to Molokai yet. I have spent 2 and 3 night stays in Hana, and each time I want the stay to be longer. Rather than Hana, my last trip included Lanai for 4 nights, which was equally amazing, although we stayed at the Lodge at Koele, rather than a house with a kitchen in Hana...I can only say that both are great destinations with Molakai offering exclusivity.
However, I would do one or the other and them end with Walilea....wow what a trip!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

More about us. We like the outdoors. We don't like to shop or tour museums too much. I am 44, husband to be 51 we are both in good shape and like to hike etc. We will be doing so much in Kauai (helicopter and boat tours of Napali Coast) a couple of Hikes and trip to south for the canyon and gardens, snorkel. The BI we will Deep sea fish, tour the Volcano National Park, do the night lava and maybe a macademia farm and snorkel or hike. The in Wailea we will snorkel - probably not to the crater but maybe Fishbowl, because the hike there will be part of the adventure. See a few shows at night, maybe take a sunset cruise, DRIVE up to Haleakakai (sp) to see the sunrise (or set) drive around the top-west side of Maui and do some shopping at Whalers for the kids back home. THEN we want to relax for 3-4 days before going home. Somewhere quite but beautiful where we can possible walk alone on the beach. I have read that you can see the cliff of Molokai by bike tour or driving all the way to the east coast along a ridge. It is suppose to be spectacular. We want to find some time to be alone on this beautiful place called Hawaii - no glitz, just beauty of the land. (But we don't want to go as far as to camp-out) I still want a nice bed to sleep in. ;0)

Thanks to all who can offer advise for us. I always thought we would have to find this in Hana, but after reading about the Sheraton on Molokai - I'm beginning to think it may be an alternative. As pretty but more secluded.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:25 PM

This is a tough one!! I think you will be happy with either.

My observations: Hana (stayed three nights). Enjoyed the lack of hurrying around to see things in "one" like most visitors do Hana. Had cabin on water..enjoyed watching the water from the living room. Outside bar-b-que. Did all of our cooking in our cabin...not much choices to eat out in Hana. Lots of "day" travellers in the area everyday. Scenery was wonderful.

Molikai- Went specifically to do the "mule ride" to the leper colony. Great trip.....and you get a view of the sea cliffs from mule back...at 4000' with 26 switchbacks to the bottom!
Beaches just about desereted...nice for walks and quite time. Very laid back. Rustic. If you want to get away from the "civilized" stuff...this is the place.

enjoy......Hawaii...it's all good
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Nancy - it sounds like you have a great trip planned! Have you read Maui Revealed? It sounds like you can definitely find solitude in Hana area esp in early morning or evening after day trippers are gone, but I don't think they have a lot of beaches from what I have read. In fact the best beach in area, Hamoa, is probably not going to be deserted. If you really want to be alone on a beach your odds are probably better on Molokai. I have not experienced either first hand - just read a lot!
Good luck deciding!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Hi Nancy,
I would recommend Molokai for relaxing end to your trip. The island is very beautiful and low key. We stayed at the Wavecrest resort on the east side of the island. The beaches are very nice and you pretty much have them to yourselves. I would recommend that you and your husband do the hike to the leper colony. You will see the most beautiful cliffs, and your guide (once you get to the bottom) will educate you on the people and the disease that they suffered from. It was one of the most moving experiences I've ever had. There are only a handful of restaurants on the island, but they are each unique and worth a visit. Let me know if you have any other questions about the island.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Nancy -

I've done both and I think Molokai might be just what you're looking for. It's as unrushed and quiet as you can get. My husband and I visited some years back and we had entire beaches all to ourselves (water was a bit rough for swimming though). A perfect place to get away from it all and experience a part of Hawaii completely devoid of the usual tourist crush.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 06:06 AM

For those of you who have stayed on Molokai. Where would you recommend a horseback riding tour? I know that the Molokai (Sheraton) Ranch offers them but do you have to be a guest there?