Search

4 gals on vacation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 gals on vacation

Four sisters will be traveling to Phoenix to celebrate a 40th and 50th birthday in October. Staying at Biltmore. . .looking for dinner suggestions. . . great views, local flavor. . .authentic mex. . .any suggestions appreciated
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Did you do a search?
Phoenix is discussed here alot.
I've planned full trips by searching and finding current information.
But my post will now top your request and someone else will probably chime in.
Happy Birthday! (s)
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:51 AM
GoTravel

You will LOVE The Arizona Biltmore. OMG. Fabulous resort!

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Wanderluster:
Thanks for info. . .looking suggestions that may be out of the ordinary as well as standards. . .thanks
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:42 PM

For mexican food, try th Barrio Cafe...i believe it is around 1th St. and Thomas area. Excellent food out of the ordinary, no gooey cheese nor chimichangas here. There's a great french pastry shop at the Camelback Esplanade which is on the southside of Camelback at 24th st. Hang out at the resort for views etc. If you're interested in staying in the city, try Pizzaria Bianco which is located in Heritage square downtown at 7th Street bewtween VanBuren and Washington. Small restaurant limited to pizza, antipasto and salads. Best pizza in the US...lines form at 4:30 for 5 pm opening. The Heard Museum is near downtown on Central; Native-American museum.
Happy B-day to all
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:43 PM

aaahh...that should be 16th st. and Thomas
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Giro:
How about a recommendation with a view?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:13 AM

I am a native Phoenician and these are our favorites........Phoenix City Grille, 16th/Bethany Home(SW type food, reservations) The Compass Room, Hyatt Hotel(downtown, revolving great views, terrific food), Christos, 7th St./Maryland(No. Italian, reservations), Macayo Mexican Kitchen, Scottsdale/no. of Shea, Houstons, American, 24th/Camelback, The Adobe, Biltmore golf course(b'fast, lunch), Carlsbad Tavern,(SW food) Hayden/Osborn in Scottsdale. These are all in the moderate price range and have excellent food.......another kind of fun western place is Wrangler's Roost, Baseline/I-10, always a western band, can try rattlesnake! All these places are busy, popular with locals and most take reservations and are easily reached from the Biltmore....the valet or concierge can easily direct you.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM

I think Mary Elaine's at the Phoenician has one of the best views not to mention some of the best food. It is where we go for special occaisions. It is a great place to splurge.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Make that Ruster's Roost for a western place, Baseline/I-10, at Pointe South Mountain.......also might mention when my college friends and I go away every year, we always have b'fast/lunch at different places, usually other hotels or resorts so we can see them too. The AZ. Biltmore is in such a great location for getting around the valley, very easy!!! You are coming at a great time, though you probably don't know mid-October is when everyone who wants a winter lawn, overseeds with rye. We shear the existing Bermuda down to almost nothing, spread seed, fertilizer and pour on the water for at least two weeks. You may see alot of barren looking lawns, but rye comes up almost immediately and if you're coming toward the end of Oct. it will be really green. We also have plenty of flowers all winter, almost nothing in the summer except Vinca, bougainvilla. Also might mention that Wrigley Mansion is right at the Biltmore. The previous home of the Wrigley family, for couple of weeks a year. When I was a kid, that's all you saw alongside the Biltmore....the food is okay, the place is beautiful and nice views. It is now owned by Geordie Hormel and he opens it to the public for a $10 membership fee yearly, but I've never been asked for my card, so am sure they could care less.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 01:17 PM
mei

I love The Biltmore. The spa is quite nice...I had one of the best massages ever there.

We had dinner one night at T. Cooks which is inside the Royal Palms hotel. It was really beautiful and the food delicious. The grounds at the Royal Palms are really lovely.

I don't know if you all enjoy hiking, but we loved the hike to the top of Squaw Peak (I think that's the one we went up).
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great suggestions. It is much appreciated