Search

St. Louis restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Louis restaurants

Hello,
I will going to St. Louis in July to attend a conference. Can anybody suggest good Italian, Chinese, or German restaurants?
Thanks
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:09 PM

Where is the conference and what hotel will you be staying in? St. Louis is spread out, and it would help to know what part of town you will be in before making suggestions.

The best website for restaurants is www.saucecafe.com
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I will be staying downtown, and I will have a car.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM

Tony's! We haven't been to St. Louis in a really long time, but we had a fabulous meal at Tony's last time we were there. It used to be five star, but I think it's been demoted a little. It was originally famous for its authentic Italian food, but has branched out to other cuisines. It's downtown, too! Bring $$$$!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:49 PM

Although Tony's is in the Zagat guide as a five star restaurant, I would say most locals do not go there. To me it is hightly overrated.
Italian -
Trattoria Marcella - near the Hill
Pan Asian
Red Moon - in the Washington Loft area. It is amazing.
I would suggest going to the Washington Ave area becasue some of the new and best restaurants are there.

If you want to drive in a little - Central West End - Go the Eau Bistro. It is in the Chase Park Plaza. There is a lovely outdoor area with local live jazzz etc...
Balabans is a great local institution - Chez Leon - is a really good frencgh Bistro.
have Fun!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM

I agree with all of Anne's suggestions. Including that I think Tony's is the most overrated, dissapointing restaurant I have ever been to.

Also in the Central West End is Terrene (we had a great meal there on Saturday). Remy's in Clayton is Mediterranean/Global/Fusion and very good. Also, Pomme, which is sort of modern French. Two doors down from Pomme is the Pomme wine bar. Great food, casual, good wine, nice atmosphere. Just don't confuse the two.

Kemoll's downtown has a good reputation for Italian. And, I hear it has a good "early bird" special.

For more casual, closer to downtown, try Schlafly's Tap Room for micro brew and good pub food. Also, Broadway Oyster bar for cajun-type seafood, and a great outdoor patio. Often, music playing on weekends outside.

Check some of these out at the saucecafe website, and come back to ask some questions.

Just a reminder that it will be hot as he!! here in July.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:50 PM

Okay, looks like I've been roundly overruled My son used to live in the Central West End, but it's been a LONG time - when we went to Tony's we'd also heard it was overrated, but our one experience was great.

We used to visit St. Louis fairly frequently and love it! We'll have to go back and try some different places.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! All the Italian places sound good. How about an authentic German restaurant?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM

Syndey Street Cafe is one of the best places. It may be hard to get a reservation. it is in Soulard area few miles from the brewary. Not to overpriced. They have an awsome Filet stuffed with seafood, and the shrimp appetizers grilled with a honey mustard sauce.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM

Hi!
For Italian try Dominics on the "Hill" or for a more casual version they are in Clayton. Also, try the Tenderloin Room in the Chase Park Plaza. Annie Gunn's is a good spot in Chesterfield Commons.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM

I have posted this elsewhere, but the best deal is at Kemolls. GO before 6:30PM and ask for the early bird special. You get a $50 for 20 and the food and atmosphere is excellent. Remember to ask for the special menu or you be given the normal menu. For more info go to http://kemolls.com/eem.htm
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:53 AM

There is an authentic German Restaurant - it is in South StL. I will have to figure out the name and get back.
There is also another one called Bevo Mill - I think it is Bavarian and has had a new face lift. I think it was shuttered for many years and reopened. Have never been there but it is supposed to good. Also in South STL.
The semi Famous Schneithorst's German restaurant closed its doors a couple of years ago. All that remains is a cafe... good but not German! It is in Ladue.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:20 AM

The German restaurant Anne is thinking of is Saint Louis Gast Haus 1740 Chouteau 314-621-4567.I think it's officially in Lafayette Square, which is just south of downtown. I've eaten there once, also in the summer. It was good, though nothing exceptional, and I think that kind of food is too heavy for summer, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have if I had gone during cooler months.

Very close to the Gast Haus is Vin de Set 2017 Chouteau 314-241-8989. It's supposed to have good food and a lovely outdoor seating area.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM

Liz5959 - We really must have a little STL GTG and share some great dining ideas!!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I've eaten at the Gast Haus as well. Its at the corner of Chouteau and 18th, near where I used to work (before I moved to Charlotte, sniff sniff!). The food was good, but the service leaves something to be desired. Still, as far as I know its one of the few (if only) German restaurants in St. Louis.

I too would recommend Kemolls for good Italian food, as well as Zias and Favazza's on The Hill, two of my favorites.

Tracy
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I live in St. Louis and we have this great little magazine called Sauce. I think the website is saucemagazine.com -- they have tons of reviews, and comments. I look there all the time when looking for a place to eat.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM

There is Dreamland Palace in Waterloo, IL. It is more authentic German than Bevo Mill, I think. It's a little drive, but not too bad from downtown. For Asian food, try the restaurants along South Grand Avenue. For fun, try Soda Fountain Square (Lafayette Square) or Fitz's Rootbeer (University City). For a really nice Italian meal, I prefer Domonic's (Wilson Ave, "Hill" area). A jacket and reservations are required there.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:05 AM

betsbw- I have wanted to try that Dreamland Palace for a couple of years.

Have you been there? Did you like it?

Every now and again I will see a little ad for it in some of the obscure news rags.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM

I was under the impression that Dreamland Palace closed a few years back. Is this not accurate?
I've eaten there several times years ago and the food was really good.

Tracy
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Also just remembered that there is a German restaurant in St. Charles. The Vintage Restaurant is in the historic old town and has pretty good food. DH and I ate there last summer. While not in St. Louis its still not too far away.
St. Charles itself is a cute little town worth visiting.

Tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -