4 days near NYC with kids

Old Nov 7th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days near NYC with kids

Hello! We (family of 4 - 2 boys who will be 6 and 3 then) are planning to be in NYC in June 2015 (husband is attending a conference). We have lived in NYC before the kids and will have a few days to spend with the kids in the city. Given this is the kids' first trip to the US, we wanted to spend another 4-6 days in a different place. We def want to do Niagara Falls (did not see it when we lived there). What else can we do? we are wondering if we should do Boston? (Have been to DC - not sure if the boys will enjoy). May be a farm stay? Or drive from NYC - Boston - Vermont and back.

Any suggestions will be very helpful!
Thank you!
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 03:47 AM

Well Niagara Falls is a minimum of 2 days and given limited time I would;t bother - since it's just a lot of falling water. Fine if you are visiting Toronto or similar - but not just for the falls.

Not sure where you are living now - but I think I would do a couple of days on Cape Cod (lots of great places for kids) and then in Boston - which has wonderful history for adults plus a lot of things kids would like (duck boats in the park, aquarium, whale watching and a few of the basics on the american revolution (ride of Paul Revere is usually interesting for kids).
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler. We now live in Singapore. Should we then do Toronto and Niagara Falls? I have not researched Toronto at all - would it be a lot different from NYC?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Amy

Toronto is a great city, but driving there from NYC would be about 9 or 10 hours each way--seems a bit much for the kids, considering your amount of time. Niagara Falls, to me, is also not a kid-friendly destination at that age; a three year old would make me a bit nervous in a lot of the places! I would say that I did prefer the Canadian side of the Falls to the US side, but really, well, let's just say there are lots of other waterfalls that I've found to be more exciting.

It would be really easy to come into Philadelphia and include visits to places like the Please Touch Museum, Sesame Place, and even the farms in the Pennsylvania Dutch countryside. There's quite a lot for kids, especially at that time of year: see www.visitphilly.com Your time isn't all that long, so I'd think you might not want to spend days of it in transportation.
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 04:44 AM
J62

With kids 3 & 6 I would not drive a full day just to go to another big city.

What would the kids find enjoyable & memorable? I don't think a long drive and visiting cities fits the bill.

You could go down the shore if you want to spend a few days at the beach in NJ. Or just do a 1 day outing to Jones Beach in NYC.
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 04:59 AM

Well Toronto is a very pleasant city but is nothing like New York. - which is 9 million people in a Metro area of about 25 million with dozens of world class sights - including a LOT of places for kids. We liked Toronto - but it's nowhere near the same size/class in terms of sights and activities.

Do I understand that your 4 days will include seeing NYC - I thought the 4 days was other things you wanted to see in addition to NYC. I think Boston only about 4 hours away and easily doable by train or car is a much better choice with little kids. And if you want to see anything in between (a day or two at Cape Cod, a day at Mystic Ct seaport and aquarium) a car is the way to go.

I would think but Niagara and Toronto would both be good for oder kids. Plus 4 day isn;t enough to see both since it's a full day trip in either direction from NYC.
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 05:00 AM

Sorry - plus I think you might need multiple entry visas for the US plus visas for Canada - if your nationality requires visas.
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Given the age of your kids, and the long flight getting to NYC, you will be dealing with jet lag and having the kids get
accustomed to new surroundings.

If you want to rent a car, remember that you will need to rent car seats/booster seats. I would not take a really long car ride. You really don't have that many days after NYC.

I would chose either Philadelphia or Boston. both are close enough, you can take the train, and skip renting a car, and there are plenty of family oriented sites. I would not go to Cape Cod as you really don't have all that much time, and its mainly small beach communities. I would do a stop between NYC and Boston instead. you could travel up the Hudson and then go Boston.

or consider Mystic and a resort in Ct along Long Island Sound where you can have beach and pool. by late june its generally beach weather, early june can be iffy.