1 day at Niagara Falls with Kids

Aug 1st, 2002, 04:19 AM
donna

1 day at Niagara Falls with Kids

We are flying into Buffalo in the morning, want to spend one day at the Falls before heading to Toronto for 2 days.

What MUST we see or do at the Falls (and in Toronto if you are so inclined) while we are there? We are going the last week in August if that makes any difference.

We are spending one night at the Falls so we will have part of the next morning if we feel we want to stay longer.

Thanks.

Donna

Aug 1st, 2002, 04:42 AM
Brian Kilgore

How big are the kids?

REgardless of age, Maid of the Mist boat trip to the bottom of the falls.

Little kids seem to like the flowers in the greenhouses more than middle sized kids. Pre-teens love the weirdo museaums on Clifton Hill.

3 -12 love the fort in Niagara on the Lake. Little kids (4-8) love the butterfly conservatory.

In Toronto, under six should visit the Children's Own Museum at Bloor and AVenue Road, and the big rock park on Cumberland, a blcok away, behind the Chapters Book Store.

4 and up -- the Ontario Science Center.

BAK

Aug 1st, 2002, 05:56 AM
Donna

Sorry - I forgot to mention they boys are 9 and 13.

Please tell me more about the Ontario Science Center.

Thanks.

Donna

Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:34 AM
Allie

Have you tried searching the web? The Ontario Science Center has a website (www.ontariosciencecentre.ca). There are several websites for Niagara Falls. Be sure to have a look at the Canadian Parks Commission Niagara Falls site. You would be well advised to do a little research on your own and determine what would be most appealing to your family and how to best spend your time, rather than waiting for people here to tell you what to do. With two kids, and only one day, there are a lot of MUST do's. And, it's going to be very busy the last week of August. Is Friday your day by any chance. The fireworks are a MUST do.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:37 AM
Tom

You really should go to the Niagara website and request the literature. All the attractions are listed with their opening and closing times. THere's an excellent road map of the entire area and a poeple mover map. Also a schedule of events. Essential in planning your trip if you really wish to spend your time wisely.

Aug 11th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Rich

Boys, 9 & 13?. Niagara Whirlpool Jetboats at Niagara on the Lake,

Aug 11th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Paula

I second the motion for the Ontario Science Centre - it would be at the top of my list! Its a little off the beaten track from some of the other attractions but well worth the trip - highly recommended. You could easily spend a day there. Arrive early to beat the crowds.

I would also suggest a visit to the top of the CN Tower - the world's tallest building (wwwcntower.ca). Are your children hockey fans? If so, its worth checking out the Hockey Hall of Fame (www.hhof.com). Both of these attractions are in the downtown core, an easy walk from one another. I think that they could both be done in a day. For dinner, a good, moderately priced restaurant in the area is Il Fornello, 214 King St. W. (416-977-2855 www.ilfornello.com). They are best known for their wonderful pizzas but also serve good salads, pastas, etc. If you decide to go, do make reservations in advance.

The above suggestions are on my Toronto "A" list but other good attractions are as follows:

Toronto Island
Canada's Wonderland
Metro Toronto Zoo
Ontario Place
Royal Ontario Museum
Canadian National Exhibition (on during last few weeks of August)

As for Niagara Falls, as a previous poster mentioned, Maid of the Mist is a great idea. And, when I was the age of your boys, I loved the horrible museums on Clifton Hill. (If memory serves me ... as a "special treat" for my 11th birthday my parents took me to one of those museums - I was thrilled!)

Have a great trip!

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Karen

Hi Donna: as a mom of three boys who lives nearby here are a few more ideas. In Niagara, walking Clifton Hill in the evening stopping for mini-putt at Dino-putt, a bite to eat at the Rain forest Cafe. A stop at a museum and a trip up the Skylon or Minolta Tower. Make sure to see the Falls at night with the lights on them! Table Rock Falls tour right under the falls is a rush if you don't want to do the maid of the mist, and it is cheaper. My guys find the butterfly conservatory a little lame, but a helicpoter ride over the falls exciting. In Toronto if the weather is not good then the Science center, Royal Ontario Museum, hockey hall of fame ect are good. However , if the weather is good the CN tower, Blue Jays game at the Skydome or Tour of the Air Canada Center , Harbourfront, Toronto Island and shopping at the Eatons Center are fun. As well as China Town and Kensington Market. Canada's wonderland is also a good choice for kids but there is nothing remarkable about it just pure fun. Karen