Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 Best Restaurants in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Weekender

If you have been to the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area, or (better) if you live there, what are your favorite restaurants for 1. seafood, 2. fancy dinner, 3. not-so-fancy but good dinner, and 4. anything else?

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 12:32 PM
BEth Y

DEar Weekender,

We have a place in Wrightsville and I just spent 20 minutes writing you a diatribe on our favorite place and why, hit Post, and it disappeared. I may try again when I have more time. Sorry!

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 01:08 PM
BK

If you are a fan of the hot dog, The Trolley Stop right on Wrightsville Beach has some of the best hot dogs in the country! Try the Surfer Dog.
Also in downtown Wilmington on the River on some great restaurants including Elijiah's on the Water. Just park in downtown and walk around and you'll find something great

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Weekender

Beth, come back!

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 04:13 PM
KNoel

For seafood, I like Dockside, on Arlie Road at W'ville Beach. A lot of tourists to to the Oceanic, but I don't really think it's too special, except for the view. There's a place at W'ville Beach called South Beach, (I think that's the name) that I hear good things about, but have never been. My favorite is Baja Grill on the road between W'ville Beach and Wilmington. It's not fancy, but they do have good food. There are a bunch of places on the river downtown; Elijah's is my favorite downtown restaurant for seafood. Cafe Phoenix is very popular, but I"ve never been there. Any questions, let me know!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Jean

For casual dining, we enjoyed "Sticky Fingers". We were in town for a weekend and ate there; it was very good!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Beth Y

Weekender, I will pop back on tonight and give you the rundown. In the meantime, if you get this, give me some more hints. Do you have kids? Are you southern(do you know what a meat&3 is?), when you say fancy dinner, what is your price range, and would you want to take kids? When you say seafood, do you mean, where can I get a good fried seafood platter, or where can I get a good piece of grouper with etc.etc. on top? I'll be back.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:21 PM
BEth Y

Okay, I have a minute so I will post what I can.

AT THE BEACH-

Middle of the Island(MOI)/Breakfast House (on Harbor Island)- This is a WB standby. In our opinion, it has the best food on the island for the best price. The breakfasts can't be beat (great waffles). The seafood is great and fresh, as is everything else. The service is a bunch of energetic college kids that get food to you fast. Of course, it has no atmosphere, with linoleum tables, etc., but what do you expect for a traditional Southern "meat&3". The food is cheap and good. Do not miss it. There are lines on weekends. Serves no alchohol.

Olympis-Right next door to MOI. Serves regular beach type food (burgers to seafood) and also some greek selections. A step up from MOI and serves alchohol, still with good service. The food can be good, but have had some seafood there that is just so-so. The fried veggies are good. It is a place we go when we are tired on Fridays, want to eat and need a drink(which rules out MOI).

Trolley Stop-As posted above, decent(I wouldn't rave about them) hotdogs at a WB institution.

Kohl's -Incredibly frozen custard, don't miss it.

Oceanic/Blue WAter - these places are big seafood restaurants that have good views of the ocean and sound, respectively. They are owned by the same people. I think both are good, but not where we would go for a fancy dinner (so below). We have many friends that think they are both great for seafood, so you may too. At Oceanic, you can sit out on the pier for lunch. You can sit outside at Blue WAter too. Which is a draw.

Roberts GRocery - GO there to get killer chicken salad for sandwiches.

Buddy's- You need to go at least once for a beer and people watching or you haven't really been to WB. Go around 4-6pm before the college kids start packing it. Do not let the odd appearance of many of its customers bother you. Cold beer is the great equalizer.

The rest of the restaurants in WB proper are just okay. You may get a decent meal at Fosters or the place across the street, but you may not.

I am posting this in installments to avoid losing it all again!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Beth Y

ACROSS THE BRIDGE NEAR THE BEACH-

RIght before you cross the first bridge, there is Airlie Road on the right. There are 3 restaurants down there, all notable. I can not remember the name of the first you come to, but it is a traditional seafood place, where you can get a decent seafood platter, broiled or fried. I haven't been there since I was 9 (and I am 42 now) but it is supposed to be pretty good. I am not a big seafood platter, hush puppy, cole slaw person, so we do not go. My parent's crowd likes it (they are 80).

On down there are 2 cafe type places which are really very similar. The first is the Fish House. It is a casual fish and burger place, with outside seating on the sound and a bar. Pretty nice, but I prefer its neigbor the Dockside. It is bigger, more energetic college kids waiting tables. Trust me, you don't go to either of these places for the food. You go to sit outside, watch those huges boats head down the waterway, and drink a cold drink on a nice afternoon. Dockside is relaxing, they have lots of outside seating with umbrellas, they have a raised area with a screened porch, good for bug-free dining. Kids and teenagers love dockside.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Beth Y

FINE DINING

For a real good meal, we always usually into Wilmington. The downtown waterfront is a great place to hang out, bar hop, shop, etc., and there are great restaurants there. I list some below.

Cafe Phoenix -Has been there for years and is consistently good. I guess you would call it "bistro" type food. Pretty expensive, but not too bad. They don't take reservations. They make a great steak, usually served with risotto cakes, my favorite.

Deluxe - Around the corner from Cafe Phoenix, this new entry to the Wilmington restaurant scene is my new favorite. I have eaten there twice this summer and both my meals have been amazing (Got duck and grouper). Beware, it is pricey and loud and you need reservations, but I can't recommend it more.

Undercurrents - If you want romantic fine dining, this is the place. I have only been once, a year or so ago(We have trouble finding sitters at the beach and you can't take kids to Undercurrents, you can to deluxe or CP, as they are louder), but it is still packed everytime we walk by. Reservations are required and it is pricey, but very high end dining. Lots of Landfall types eat here. They have valet parking.

Elijah's - This is located away from the rest of downtown at Chandlers Wharf. Its a very short walk. There is another, similar restaurant next to Elijah's, which is very similar to itl. Again, I would not say this is "fancy dining" but it is okay and, again, it has a great outside seating area overlooking the river. One of the restaurants, I think Elijah's, has a raw bar, so you can get cold beer, steamed oysters or shrimp and eat to your hearts content.

PortLand Grille-Actually, this is not in downtown Wilmington, but in a shopping center across from Landfall, back near the beach. Word is the chef from Undercurrents recently opened this place.(Which casts a cloud on Undercurrents, I guess) We went a month ago and it is great. Very pricey, very good, good service, great wine list. You need reservations.

Port City CHop House- Again, this is right across the bridge from the beach and not downtown. THis is a local chain of steak places. I have not been to the one at the beach, although my cousins rave about it. My hubby goes to the one here in Raleigh for work all the time and raves about it. If you want a good steak at the beach, this is the place.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Beth Y

Okay, I think it all posted. I hope this helps. Any other questions? Things to do with kids, etc.?

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:55 PM
loves NC

I just got back from a weekend visit to Wilmington and RDU area. We stayed on Wrightsville Beach and it was lovely!I have an eating place that I think many would enjoy-I would HIGHLY recommend it as one of the BEST seafood restaurants I have ever eaten at(and I have lots of relatives in Seattle and Portland ,Maine) .......Crabdaddy's!It has been opened about a year and the decor is funky and casual.Wait staff are friendly and prices are really reasonable.
We actually ate there several times as we could not believe how good the food was. It is located on the right side (near Redix store)just before you go over the causeway. The first time was a fabulous broiled seafood platter with scallops,shrimp,crabcakes and flounder to die for. Cooked to perfection and so fresh! The next day we tried lunch and a seafood salad-wonderful eating experience.
We tried Elijahs on riverfront per a "natives suggestion" and am disgusted to say that my daughter and I thought that it was the WORST seafood meal we have ever eated. $16.95 seafood platter that was so overcooked that the scallops tasted like cardboard,small portions,catfish that tasted like a muddy shoe,etc. with more fries than the meal on the plate.Food is really heavily salted and service was really lax.For a $40.00 bill,we ended up eating brie and crackers in the room later in the evening.Sorry folks-when I spend $17.00 on an entree (no salad) and have to pay an extra 59 cents for a cornbread roll.....can you spell tourist ripoff!!!!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:28 PM
Wendy

I love The Dockside (mentioned previously)! It is casual. You can eat outside on the waterfront. It has the best fried shrimp I've ever had. I've been there about ten times and it is consistently great every time!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:25 AM
Roger

I vacation up the road at Topsail so I know a little but only a little. Momma and Pappa enjoy Elijah's down by the Cape Fear River. For honest Mexican food, let me suggest El Vacquero on Route 17. I've actually eaten there and it is good, true-to-roots Mexican food. At Topsail, jalf-an-hour up the road, I would suggest Beauchaine's II, Soundside and Lattitude 34. All are combined modern seafood-modern southern cooking.

Old Dec 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best restaurant in Wilmington is Indochine. You would drive right by this restaurant unless you were a local (it's in midtown Wilmington off Market Street). I would characterize it as an authentic Asian Fusion Restaurant with incredible decor and gardens. The bar area is a bit small but beleive me, it's worth a short wait and one of their specialty libations. If it's warm be sure to walk the back garden areas while you wait, and definately choose the outdoor seating, if available. The menu is extensive and I recommend ordering to share amongst one another. You will want to try everything anyways, and the helpings are large. The Pad Thai is phenominal (adding the Shrimp is recommended), and the Cashew Chicken is succulent. All of the sushi rolls are excellent, and their appetizer sampler is a meal in itself. In a nutshell, you get the excellent atmosphere, fantastic food, and great service at a very affordable price.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was it there in 2001, when this thread was started?