3 nights in Seward too long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Homer to Seward and wondering if we should stay 2 or 3 nights in Seward. We are going to leave Homer sometime in the afternoon and take a easy drive. We are planning to take the cruise, hike exit glacier, fish, sightsee the town, sea life center. I know the cruise will almost take a full day. This will be duing the 2nd week of Sept.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:34 PM

From your previous post, you were going to spend only a week in AK. If that's still true, IMO 3 days in Seward is too long. I'd drive there in the afternoos as you said, do the boat tour the next day, spend the second night and then depart. You would still have some time to explore some of the other
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Sorry-the previous got posted prematurely.

The two days would still allow you to see some of the attractions you mentioned. I would spend the saved day in Homer or in exploring the Seward Hwy, Kenai Lake, Hope areas on the way back to ANC.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM

On our Alaska trip a few years ago, we spent 3 nights in Seward(with similar activities to you). and it felt like the right amount of time.

Like you we arrived late in the afternoon (only we came from Anchorage, taking our time to make stops along the way), so first night in Seward was just walking around(small town, does not take long to see) and dinner, did the full day cruise the next day, so that was the second night, and next day for us was exit glacier+ sea life center(only took about 2 hrs) + dog sled(for you it will be the same except for fishing-not sure how much time you plan for that.) and that was the third night.

I did not feel either too rushed or w/ too much down time.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I think hiking Lost Lake IS A MUST!!...the full trail is quite a ways, but you can hike as long as you'd like, but it's so beautiful...The drive from Seward to Homer is 4 hours....Kayaking in Seward is well worth it, as well...Have fun...I wouldn't live anywhere else...
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

From your previous post, you were going to spend only a week in AK. If that's still true, IMO 3 days in Seward is too long. I'd drive there in the afternoos as you said, do the boat tour the next day, spend the second night and then depart. You would still have some time to explore some of the other

The plan has changed and we are staying for 10 days now.

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 04:17 AM

We're staying for 4 days/3 nights on a 10 day trip. I wanted to take the NW Fjords tour (a full day), visit Exit Glacier & the Sea Life Center, go kayaking, and the Cains Head hike that can only be done at low tide - too cool. Since we'll be getting into Seward in the afternoon on the first day, and we are leaving early in the morning on the last day, that means we'll really only have 2.5 days there to enjoy activities, and one of those is the full-day NW Fjords tour!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Be aware that the Northwestern Fjord trip is NOT running after Sept 5, so no reason for the extra day in Seward. Even with 10 days, 3 is a lot in one area. Also be sure to watch your scheduling if considering Denali Park and head straight there if the shuttles are still running, they stop too mid Sept.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I understand that the full day tour closes on sept 5th. nut they have half day tours running like the national park tour which closes oct 2 and major marine has a couple that run til oct too.