3 nights in Napa/Sonoma

Search

3 nights in Napa/Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 nights in Napa/Sonoma

Have scored a childfree trip thanks to Mum coming to stay, DH and I are allowed 3 nights away and have never done wine country, we have a somm friend who's going to link us up with some free wine tastings but can I get any recommendations for places to stay (that are HIGHLY child unfriendly ) in either place - would you stay in each or just pass through one and stay in the other? Am tempted to stay in one place really but open to suggestions, a bit of luxury on a mid range budget (around $200/night we can do but lower is obviously great) and walkable to nice restaurants for dinner etc. I'm mainly plant based so somewhere where it's not just steak for dinner would be grand!

We'll be driving up from LA but probably bust straight up there and back because we do and will do the coast with the children in tow more....
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Should add we love to hike too so bonus for any recommendations for that too please, spa is unimportant to us
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 04:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> a bit of luxury on a mid range budget (around $200/night we can do but lower is obviously great
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 04:33 PM

I am concerned about two very long drives (in winter?) giving you only two days. Not very relaxing. Have you considered flying from LAX to Santa Rosa? Or doing a trip closer to home.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Haha yes just did a check on hotel prices, I guess we’ll go Higher and save inbetween!

we want to avoid flying really and could go somewhere else, just we travel around the state a lot with our children and thought it was an opportunity to go somewhere that would otherwise be ridiculously boring for them
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 05:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We loved it here:

https://www.applewoodinn.com/applewo...#wa-anchor-top

You can’t walk to restaurants but the restaurant there is very good and it’s a quick drive to Guerneville. It’s also close to Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve where we hiked through the redwoods.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 10:46 PM

Hey,

I am planning a small trip to Nappa Valley, California with my friends. So is there anyone who can suggest any adventurous places to visit there and any hotel or resort for the stay which is reasonable in cost.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
rose22: Welcome to Fodors. You should start a new thread of your own. When you re-post, explain what you mean by 'adventurous' places . . .

And also tell us when the trip is, and your actual nightly hotel budget, because 'reasonable could mean a lot of different things. Realize though that the Napa Valley has some of the highest average room rates in the state.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 02:56 PM

I know this isn't really what you want if you have this idea of some romantic luxury getaway, but I stayed a couple days in the Fairview Inn and Suites in Healdsburg and its rates are generally less than $150. YOu can't even book through them, which is pretty backward, but you can on hotels.com or booking.com etc

this is it
https://www.hotels.com/ho222906/fair...es-of-america/

I was very leery as it was very cheap but in fact, it was perfectly fine as a chain motel. One other reason I booked it (other than I didn't want to pay a lot of money for a hotel in that area) is that you could book it for only a night or two, and you cannot in some other hotels. At least you couldn't when I was going, in the summer. It isn't far from the center of Healdsburg which has restaurants, a park, etc., but I did drive, not walk. It wasn't difficult. It's a good location for some wineries in that area.