Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Napa Valley - How long to stay for a romantic getaway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!
I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend where we met (UC Berkeley) and then taking her on a short, romantic trip to the Wine Country immediately after to "celebrate".

Originally, I was going to plan to fly up from LA to Oakland on Friday, propose to her Friday afternoon, then drive to Napa that evening for a 2-night stay in the Valley (flying back on Sunday night). But now I'm second-guessing that plan...is 2 days enough time to visit Napa? We both have never been there before. She doesnt drink wine at all, but I would like to take her on a hot-air balloon ride, get her some spa treatments, and take her on one wine "tour". We're also big foodies, so I'm looking forward to eating there.

So is 2 days/nights enough time to do this? Or do you think I should extend the trip longer?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
mrt

At least 3 days and 2 nights. 3 nights if possible
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:35 PM

You can now fly from LA directly to Santa Rosa with Horizon Air.....then stay in Healdsburg instead of Napa. The town is charming, lots of GREAT restaurants (Cyrus, Dry Creek Kitchen), fun shops around the town square, lovely scenic drives. Fewer tourists...beats Napa any day......
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"You can now fly from LA directly to Santa Rosa with Horizon Air....."

But that defeats the purpose of being in Berkeley for the proposal.

Johnnyman7: 2 days in the wine country would be fine - but 3 would be better. I personally wouldn't stay in Napa. I'd stay in/near Sonoma or in Healdsburg or Calistoga.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM

2 or 3 days ????!!!!

My gracious, not nearly long enough...
but then,

I live here.

Hope it all goes as you want !

R5
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

All -
Thank you for your responses! I think I'm leaning towards a 3-night trip there. If we really like it, we can always go back since we only live 500 miles away.

kleroux - thanks for the suggestion. I may just fly back from Santa Rosa airport.

Now to only pick a hotel. Tripadvisor users really like the Best Western Elm House Inn...so I made a reservation for a room with a jacuzzi tub in it for the weekend. But maybe spending more (at leats $100/night more, it seems) for a B&B will be better. But then, thats some big dough (at least to me). Choices choices....

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM

People seem to like Elm House; the rate is good for the Napa area. I would keep the low rate and use that "extra" $100 a night toward some romantic meals.
It will be a romantic weekend no matter where you stay. If you do decide to take a wine tour (where someone else does the driving) I'd recommend Don at Platypus Tours. www.platypustours.com
He takes only small groups and makes it personal, includes a picnic lunch.
There are so many great restaurants, it is hard to recommend only a few. But in the town of Napa, Pearl is excellent for a casual, pleasant, less expensive meal as is Kelly's No Bad Days Cafe. More upscale are Cole's Chophouse, Celadon, Angele. A fun place is Zuzu's.
In Yountville, you might like Gordon's for breakfast or lunch. Hurley's is very good, too. And posters will fill up this page with so many more. You will have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Have you checked out www.napavalley.com ?
A couple of B&Bs that friends have liked are:
Beazley House and
McClelland-Priest House B&B

Each of these offer a variety of rooms and rates and are quite nice.