3 days in N. California

Search

3 days in N. California

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in N. California

I'll be in San Jose area visiting family on Saturday - Sunday, October 29 and 30. I suspect we'll go to San Francisco, Mendocino, and Napa area. We will have two more nights and 3 days to tour the area before leaving for home early on Thursday, November 3. I'm looking for ideas for our remaining time in California. Thought about Tahoe, more time in Napa, maybe something historical - gold rush perhaps, coastal towns with quaint shops, nice B&B, etc.

Thanks
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 08:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Not to knock Napa or Tahoe but I'd pick Monterey or Yosemite over either of them.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 08:54 PM

You won't be able to visit San Francisco, Napa, and Mendocino in 2 days (Oct 29 & 30) - no chance at all. I hope your San Jose family did not recommend that you do so.

If I count your days correctly, you have Oct 31, Nov 1 & 2 available for doing "other things".

Halloween is kinda "crazy" in San Francisco.

Just visit San Francisco - that's all. Maybe Carmel with your family on Sat & Sun.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 08:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Sunday, October 29 and 30. I suspect we'll go to San Francisco, Mendocino, and Napa area
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 08:56 PM

was posting the same time as stu.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 01:56 PM

I don't quite understand the itinerary, either, but if you want a place to visit nearby for a couples days, Monterey and Carmel sounds like it might have some of the things you want. MOnterey has a very good acquarium, for one thing. You can do some whale watching tours off their pier but I don't know if that's a good time for it or not, but you can consider that. Seems to be plenty of humpbacks at this time of year.

sightings from last October

http://www.montereybaywhalewatch.com...s/slst1510.htm
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 02:00 PM

You have time to go to Pacific Grove/Monterey/Carmel from San Jose (walks along the bluffs, Monterey Bay Aquarium, dinner at Lovers Point or something). Or you can do a quick trip in Napa. Can you spend 1-2 nights or are you looking for daytrips? If this is a daytrip, your only realistic option is Santa Cruz. Traffic is heavy everywhere so plan your driving times, accordingly.

Mendocino and Tahoe are too far of a drive for this short of visit -- Pt Reyes Station is a more reasonable destination for N Cali but it's still hours away from San Jose. You can do a daytrip with your entire family to Santa Cruz if you're expected to hang out with them when you arrive. Then afterwards, maybe Napa Valley for 1-2 nights. If you can leave from Santa Cruz directly and separate from family there, then continuing to drive South to PG/Monterey or Carmel will be much more efficient.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 02:25 PM

If you want to see some nice redwoods, Henry Cowell Redwood State Park and Big Basin State Park are close by. I think you need to Google Mendocino to see where it is located. Definitely head to Carmel/Monterey area.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 03:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Count me also as confused. But you definitely don't have enough time to include all those places you mentioned. With a few extra days I'd just spend it in San Francisco myself.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 04:01 PM

As I suggested, ask your family where exactly they are taking you. Because you definitely don't have time for SF, Napa and Mendocino in 2 days.

THEN we can make all sorts of good suggestions.

Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Let me clear up some confusion. I arrive in San Jose Friday around noon and will spend Saturday and Sunday with family. I've visited her several times so we've done Monterey, Carmel, Hearst Castle, San Fran, Muir Woods, Solvang, Napa, and a few other locations south of San Jose. My wife and I will have Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday open. We need to be back in San Jose Wednesday evening because we fly out on Thursday morning. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:15 PM

With 2 nights/3 days available, here are some possibilities:

Gold Country
Lake Tahoe
Yosemite
Big Sur
Paso Robles
Sonoma Valley
Point Reyes
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:49 PM

ditto any of those november_moon lists If you decide on Yosemite it is likely too late for accommodations, so check Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal -- the closest place to the Valley.

But also do realize, it is possible to have early snow at Tahoe and/or Yosemite by the end of October.