Search

3 Days in Asheville

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Days in Asheville

Planning a girls trip to Asheville for a few days before Christmas. We have our tickets for the Biltmore Candlelight tour, and our massages booked at Grove Park Spa and know we want to see the gingerbread houses at Grove Park. Now I'm planning our restaurants and am looking for suggestions! Anyone have comments on Fig, Zambra, Rezaz Mediterranean, Table or Cucina 24? We are "foodies" for sure, so I want to make the right choices. We will only be there for 2 dinners and 3 lunches. One of the dinners will be late since it will be after the Biltmore tour.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM

The hottest spot in Asheville at the moment is The Admiral. A cinder block building, looks like a dive, but inside is cozy albeit small, and the food is sublime. Make a reservation for sure, and I believe they serve until 11 p.m. but you may want to double check that. May work well after your late tour. Innovative but not fussy or contrived dishes for real foodies (I had the sweetbreads which you normally don't find on most local menus).
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

I've read about The Admiral but saw somewhere that it is in a bad neighborhood, so I had not considered it. What's your take on the area where it's located?
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM

I don't live in Asheville, so not sure what kind of local reputation that neighborhood may have -- but I've never felt in the slightest unsafe here. Mixed use area, street parking is in front. Since it's very popular, lots of customers exiting and entering. I don't honestly feel that it's an issue. Perhaps an Asheville resident will weigh in.

Every meal I've had here has been wonderful -- the small plates are not small, but permits you to share lots of tastings. Mussels are terrific and a huge portion.

Otherwise, I've only eaten at Fig of the ones you mention, and liked that as well.

You may want to check Chowhound Southeast Board for more input -- lots of threads on Asheville.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM

We've eaten at Rezaz and love it. Depending on when you're in town, you'll need a reservation. Great food, great service, well priced - I usually recommend it to people who are traveling to Asheville!
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 02:29 PM

I second Admiral. You will say What when you see it but it's outstanding. For lunch go to Corner Kitchen or Early Girl. Both are casual. Table is a great more upscale restaurant.

Corner Kitchen @ 3 Boston Way, Asheville, NC 828 - 274 - 2439.
http://www.thecornerkitchen.com/

Early Girl Eatery @ 8 Wall Street, Asheville, NC 828 - 259 - 9292. I240/EXIT4C. BLD. ***
http://www.earlygirleatery.com/
Table @ 48 College St., Asheville, NC 828 - 254 - 8980.
http://tableasheville.com/
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM

We love Bouchon....it is really like a country french restaurant - the food was great! We love to have drinks at Grove Park with the big fireplaces blazing and lounging in the rocking chairs!