COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

3 Capes Loop in Oregon

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

3 Capes Loop in Oregon

I'm a bit confused concerning what the "3 Capes Loop" routing is. Do you leave Hwy. 101 for a road closer to the ocean? Thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Yes. Take a look at the map here: http://tinyurl.com/lv9zk
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM

There is an interesting lighthouse to inspect at Cape Meares and a couple nice little towns to drive through. It's a nice drive if you have time, but not if you are in a rush to get to your next destination.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Just did this 2 weeks ago and it was lovely. But you do have to watch the signs closely.
Great little picnic spot and observation area to watch ocean at the parking lot for the Light house with bathrooms too..
Very pleasant short walk..not too steep large smoothed road straight walk to the Lighthouse.
About halfway down a volunteer had set up his very expensive camera gear and a telescope on the cliffs to the right as you walk down toward Light house. We stopped and he had found wild Perregrine Falcons. Probably first and last time I will ever see them in the wild...can't remember if almost extinct but certainly a very rare sighting and a thrill.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM

lady Vic, it's one of the highlights of the coast.
Rosanna's for lunch.
Tremendous.
Skip the cheese factory and do the loop.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM

I'm with bbqboy. Don't miss it. Our daughter was about 3 when we hiked out the trail at Cape Lookout. As she looked out at the ocean, a realization hit her and she exclaimed in amazement, "Look! The ocean! There's water in it!"

This is a wonderful hike, by the way, through temperate rainforest. The trail is on a headland that juts into the water. Expect the trail to be muddy at points and wear appropriate footwear.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for all the info!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Three Capes is certainly beautiful; however, considering the enthusiasm expressed here, I feel constrained to comment that you will enjoy it more if you are not expecting a place as spectacular as Cape Perpetua or Ecola State Park.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM

HT, I find I enjoy the Solitude and Serenity from not being on the buzz of 101.
I now realize I'm not that into spectacular, and so foks should judge my choices of spots accordingly.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Make that "folks".
.....But what I meant was the endless N/S procession of Motor homes, Mini Vans, Trailers, and generally lots people on 101 isn't true on the 3 Capes loop, where there's
lots of driving 20 mph and pulling off the road..
Rosanna's is in Oceanside, by the way.
Another drive that should be done is going out thru
Coos Bay to Charleston, with a stop at Shore Acres, then down to Bandon. The Darlingtonia Wayside to look at plants is really cool too.
http://www.splintercat.org/Darlingto...aMainPage.html
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:27 AM

I don't know. I think Cape Lookout has spectacular views. And, if you go into the state park on the sand dunes at the southern cape and get out of the car at the end of the road and go walking on the dunes at the beach, it's an incredible sight and feeling. The dunes are very high and deserted. There are large lakes of water at certain tides that are warm enough to walk through. And there's noone around. You can run up on a dune and jump off and see how far you can go.
It's a great experience. Like anywhere, it makes a difference if you actually get out of your car and get your feet on the ground and walk a bit.
I'll add that the beach in Oceanside, where Roseanne's is, is beautiful, too. I've always envied the people who live in Oceanside, with its homes on the picturesque hillside looking at the ocean, and yet I don't know if I could live in a place so isolated.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I always do that. I guess the image of Rosanna Arquette is winning over the mental image of Rosanne Barr in my brain.