Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Joe

25 day hawaii trip report (part 3)

Hello everyone,
Part 1 was about O'ahu and Maui.
Part 2 was about Maui and Kauai.

Here goes part 3 on the Big Island.
We stayed on a 45 acre cattle ranch (Kaha'io) on Hwy #180 "mauka", it was a 3 bdrm house. Cool nights and only 15 minutes from Alii drive in Kona. It was in the heart of "coffee" country. It was a different experience than the other hotels, or condos we stayed in on the other islands. We chartered a boat and went marlin fishing. The boat was the "Spellbound". I would recommend trying it. We did not catch anything other than a "sunburn" but if you hook-up with a marlin it could be one of the most exciting things a person has done. 1/2 or full day charters are available. A unique experience really only possible on the BI because of the depth of the water. The lava at HVNP started to flow down chain of crater road the week before we arrived in the BI. We had not booked a night in Volcano but called when we arrived on the BI. We spent an overnight at Carson's Volcano Cottages. It was a decent room and they served breakfast. The VNP is a must do! If possible go at night and see the lava glowing!!!!! I can not express how fantastic it is to see. We actually walked over a lava tube ( you could feel the heat) and could see the hardened lava below our feet glowing. we park 1/2 mi away and walked to the ranger outpost. You definitely need flashlights and some water. When you get to the end of the trail turn off the lights and enjoy the show. Lava, ocean, stars so bright, indescribable! We toured around the island counterclockwise from volcano. Hilo is just another town. We stopped at Akaka Falls which was the best waterfalls in any of the islands. We went to Wiapi`o valley for a look, but you need 4wd to go down the road. there are other ways to get there, hiking, horseback or wagon, so we did'nt get to the valley floor. I would recommend Wiamea Canyon on Kauai as the best valley to see, if possible, go there! There was a nice little bakery in the small town right off Hwy #19 at the junction to #240 (leading to Waipi'o valley) that had awesome things along with FANTASTIC fresh roasted Macadamia Nuts, worth the detuour. We checked out Hapuna beach state park, it was very nice but crowded on the weekends. Punalu'u black sand beach on the south side was beautiful, turtles and great black 'sand'. It was too rough the day we were there for swimming, so it is hit or miss as far as that goes. There are many things we did not get to do but we did get a flovor for the BI. Lots of lava and areas of great greenery and lushness.

In Summary,
My recommnedations for anyone travelling to the islands are as follows: Get the "Ultimate guide book series" from Wizard Publications. I bought all the guide books, Hidden Hawaii, Fodors, Frommers and these were the only books we brought with us!! Travel light, carry-on only, if possible. Be prepared to lose a good part of a day everytime you island hop.Have car reservations already made, beacuse you never know what events could be going on, to force you not to have a car. Try staying in different kinds of accomodations, resorts are great, but you have to force yourself away from them... You need to get out and "see' the islands. Do 1 luau(if you must). Go swimming and snorkelling in the ocean but be careful, the sea is unpredictable, watch the waves. Go to the Arizona Memorial on O'ahu, on Kauai helicopter tour and Wiamea Canyon. VNP, Deep Sea fishing and Akaka Falls on the Big Island, and last but not least swimming, snorkelling, and Mamma's fish house in Maui. We did lot's of things on all the islands but do your homework before you go.. There are plenty of things we did not do, we saved them for the next time we go!!!
Above all, Live ALOHA, and have a great time!

Joe

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Nova

I don't think there is any need to lose the better part of a day when island hopping. I leave on very early moring flight (around 6 am) and I am on the next island before 7 am, with the whole day ahead of me.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Jed

Joe -

I would like to make a constructive suggestion - It would make it easier for all to follow your trip report if you would post all the parts together as replies to the first post.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:06 AM
tommy

What is the point of a vaction if you have to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning for 6 am flight.....?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Debbie

Speaking for myself as a soon-to-be first time visitor, I enjoyed reading all about your trip. The more I know the better.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
diane

If I had to catch a 6 a.m. flight, I'd be wiped out for the rest of the day. Besides, what about the time you spend checking out a car and then finding and checking into your new hotel?

Joe, I've read all three of your trip reports and enjoyed them, especially since my husband and I just did many of the same things: Oahu, Kauai and then the Big Island. We took only carryons, one "big" one and a smaller one each. The big ones DID fit in the overhead bin, and yes, I did lift my own (despite my senior status). Was it our carryons that made them pull us aside for extra searching EVERY TIME we got on a plane?

Re the BI, we also drove down Chain of Craters road and saw the lava flowing at night. We were so tired after walking from where we had to park our car to the ranger station that we didn't go a lot farther. We could feel the heat, though, and it was a wonderful sight. We too traveled counterclockwise, and north of Hilo (where we stayed one night at the Hilo Hawaiian), and I think just after we took the beautiful circle tour at Akaka Falls, we drive down to the water at Laupahoehoe State Park. It was one of the most beautiful sights I saw in all of Hawaii--huge black chunks of volcanic rock in the water, the gorgeous blue water tossing up white spray as the waves hit the rocks--the colors just seemed so beautiful to me. This is the place where 20 school children and several of their teachers were killed by a tsunami.

The other special memory we have of the Big Island is snorkeling at Kahalu'u, about 6 miles south of Kona.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:13 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:24 AM

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:04 AM

tt

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Sarah

Good trip report Joe. I was especially interested in your experience on the ranch on the BI, sounds different.

You are right about the inter island hops. You can get to your destination by 9 or 10am but you will be exhausted, certainly if you have to connect in Honolulu from an outer island.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Joe

Sarah,

the name of the ranch is Kaha'io, it is at ~1500 elevation above kona. You can do a web search for it or let me know i can give you the details,

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Sarah

Thanks Joe, how many days on each island? What was better about Maui beaches. I go to Kauai every year been to Maui but not in about 5-6 years.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Sarah

found cottage, nice! any problem with outside bugs at night?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Joe

We stayed on a beach in Maui, so access to it was easy. It was Uula beach and it had great coral for snorkelling. I saw lots of fish and even a couple of turtles. The public facilites (showers & restrooms) were much cleaner and well kept on Maui more than Kauai. On, Kauai we rode to Ke'e beach up north and found the facilites disgusting! Lydgate state park was passable but not as clean as beaches in Maui. As far as the ranch house is concerned, we were there in early August and it was pretty cloudy, damp, but cool. I short drive and you could be in sunshine and hot. There were mosquito's and bugs but nothing that would stop you from going out. The ranch is secluded upcountry and it was very quiet! Took us a couple of nights to get used to the silence.... It was a diferent experience than hotels, so we were glad we tryed it..

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Sarah

Yeah that is true about the public bathrooms on Kauai but I just never find myself using them outside of Koke State Park. We book on the North Shore half a block from Hanalei beach. Joe you don't regret the island hoping you did in that time? Not that you should, I just like to anchor down and explore thoroughly as I can.

You are giving me some ideas for future visits. I think it would be nice to rent on a snorkle beach. I do have to make it to another island again.

Think you will go back any time in the next few years?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Joe

We thought a week on each island gave us enough time to get a flavor. We only spent 3 days on O'ahu and we should have spent more time there. The island hoping wasn't painful nor was it pain free, but it was worth the time to get to the other islands.. My wife aand i both would go back to Hawaii in heartbeat. I think in the next few years we will go again. Taking a month off and travelling was awesome.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:39 AM
topp

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Sarah

Kind of stays with you for a while when you do a long trip like that Joe, huh?

I see the mit email address. I would say to you when you go back it can be even more affordable if you stay on one island for the month, but that is up to what you like to do. So jealous you had an entire month.

I would say Oahu is great for a month but you want to go when festivals are on. What I love about Hawaii coming from the east coast is the exposure to Asian culture. There are many festivals throughout the year that do this. One long time resident told me one of the best performances on Hawaii is Kabuki at the University of Hawaii. I know they have come to NYC to perform for the Asia Society. Anyway, my point is going to Hawaii and spending time at these cultural events throughout the island in my opinion is one of the best things you can do on the island. We just don't have the heavy Asian influence here on the east coast.

I also like the film festival in November much easier to get tickets for than NYC Film Festival and I believe a broader range of international films.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Lenore

Joe - I thoroughly enjoyed your report. We were on Oahu and Maui (5 nights each) this past spring for our first trip to Hawaii.....loved it! Was this your first trip there? If you had to pick, which island was your favorite? What was your most memorable experience overall? Thanks for the report.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Rachel

I liked Joe's report a lot. I just came back from the Big Island and Oahu. We stayed at the Silver Oaks Ranch in Kailua-Kona which was GREAT! Very nice. AND the most Immaculate house I've ever been in-really incredible! We had the Plantation House, I believe. It was maybe 20 min drive to Ali'i drive where we scuba dived with Jack's Diving Locker...in Hilo, I stayed at The Volcano Teapot which was very nice, cozy and charming. Both hosts were very friendly and helpful. BUT, I need some help from everyone! I am very fortunate to be going back to Hawaii in December!!! For Christmas! I am having trouble booking places since I am so late already. I thought it'd be nice to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village with my husband and 4 teenagers INCASE the volcano isn't flowing (we saw the lava this August-incredible! But I don't know if it will still be visible/accessible late Dec....so, just incase, a hotel like the Hilton Waikoloa would make everyone happy if the lava flow is not an option...BUT they are 100 percent sold Out!!!) -my dates are Dec 27 and 28-just 2 nights! Where is another hotel in Waikoloa that's really nice? I am willing to make the drive to the volcano...it wouldn't be bad...I'd leave around noon or so, or later, to see it in the evening, then drive back. My kids would love a nice pool...If we did find a nice B&B at the Volcano, it'd have to sleep 6...but I really feel I want to be in Waikoloa...AND...Lapahoehoe Point is one of the nicest/coolest places, I agree Joe...that water is such a beautiful blue...and the crashing waves! Incredible. We took many pictures...and Akaka Falls is a must, also...and the Kauai Helicopter Ride (I went 2 years ago..not quite...and it was fantastic-great music, Enya!)..so I agree with all your postings...hope someone can help me out with the Dec 27 and 28th dates! Thanks! Rachel