2010 US Figure Skating Nationals-Spokane

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was announced yesterday that the event will be held in Spokane (January 2010). Usually I would leave planning something this far away until a little later, but tickets and hotel packages go on sale in 3 weeks' time.

I've never been to, or even through, Spokane, so I'm curious about what it's like. I've been looking at a map of it for the past hour and I've learned the orientation of the downtown and arena areas at least. Now that that's done, I'm curious about the atmosphere of the respective areas.

The event is being held at Spokane Arena and it looks like the hotels that will be offered include a few on the side of the river that is closer to the arena (Holiday Inn Express, Oxford Suites, a couple of Red Lions) while the rest are in the downtown core. What are some positives or negatives of each area?

I'm sorry that this is so vague, but I'm at the stage when I'm trying to get a feel of a whole new city and I haven't had time to do any heavy research yet. Also, my lunch hour is over and I'm rushing to get this done. I'll probably have more specific questions as I get more oriented and have more time.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM

I was reading the anouncement on the USFS site yesterday. This event will be only a month before the Olympics being held in Canada. Looking forward to the 2009 Nationals in Cleveland. My local club in Michigan is hosting one of the regional competitions this fall that qualifies skaters for the 2009 nationals. Good luck with your plans for 2010.
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:59 PM

And the worlds in 2009 will be in LA, right?

Oh, my

Too bad I can't plan that far in advance!
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM

You know, I'd swear there's a poster here who lives in Spokane, but I can't remember who it is. Hopefully, they'll see your post.

It's been years, but I've stayed at the Red Lion that's right by the Riverfront Park. It was a nice facility with a good location. It would be fairly close the arena.
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM

321go, maybe Pegontheroad? see here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34994155
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM

I agree with 321go. There are some really nice places on that side of the river, plus the park and falls are right there. You should be able to walk to the venue if you can get into the Red Lion.
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.

The west coast has an embarassment of riches in major skating events for the next couple of years, probably because of the Vancouver Olympics. This year's Skate America is in Everett, WA, 2009 Four Continents in Vancouver, 2009 World's in Los Angeles, and now the 2010 US Nationals in Spokane. I'd been leaning toward next year's World's in LA, but when Skate America was awarded to Everett, I decided to go to that one since I live in the Seattle area.

Well, onto the main topic of my post. I did a little more research today. Shuttles will be offered to all the major hotels downtown and north of the river, so transportation is not a concern. However, there seems to be a dearth of eateries north of the river. Is that accurate, or is that Google and Yahoo not giving full disclosure as to what's in the area?
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM

There's a Clinkerdagger north of the river in the vicinity of the entertainment venues, and there are several on Main, just south of the river. Google Spokane + restaurants.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM

The arena, where the figure skating will be held, is quite close to downtown. The nearest hotel is one of the two Red Lion Inns. It is about two blocks from the arena. The other one is perhaps a mile away. Most of the hotels are situated along the river and are not far from the arena.

How far "far" is, however, will depend on the weather. If the weather is not too cold and there's no snow, most of these places will be within walking distance from the arena. And of course, there will be shuttles.

Among the hotels are the Doubletree, both Red Lions, the Oxford Suites, Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Travel Lodge, etc. The nicest hotel, however, is not located along on the river, but a couple blocks south of the rest. It's the Davenport and the Davenport Tower.

The Davenport is an old hotel that was renovated to the tune of $30 million dollars a number of years ago. It is absolutely gorgeous. I haven't stayed there, but we always go to their sumptuous Thanksgiving buffet every year. If you have a few extra bucks, you might consider the Davenport. The Tower, across the street, is new. It has a jungle motif, but I don't know much about it, except that it's said to be a decent hotel.

There's also a small luxury boutique hotel, the Lusso, a couple blocks from the Davenport and another boutique hotel, the Montvale, also nearby.

The downtown is quite compact with a lovely park along the river. Since the downtown is so compact, the fact that there are few restaurants north of the river is not a big deal. There are numerous eateries on the south side of the river, and of course, many hotels have restaurants.

Bobmrg is right about Clinkerdaggers and restaurants on Main!

I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone has. I think you'll really enjoy Spokane.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:18 AM

I was recently in Spokane visiting colleges. We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express. It was so clean, new, safe and comfortable. Location was very close for the arena - great price too! I was plesantly surprised at how nice the waterfront and downtown really is.

Elaine
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much for all the info.

I ordered a packet from the Spokane Visitors' Bureau and it arrived Saturday. Great guidebook and great map.

I've narrowed it down to the Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield, or Oxford Suites. The Red Lion at the Park and the Doubletree at the Convention Center are on my second choice list. It seems that these, along with the Davenport, will be the skater/media hotels and may be hard to get.

Now I can relax until it's time to book transportation. Ah, the wonderful choices of a puddle jumper flight, a Greyhound bus across the Pass in January, or Amtrak's vampire runs.

Also, the Chocolate Apothecary sounds *very* interesting.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Kostroma,

I live there so please feel free to e-mail me and I'll try and answer any of your questions about the hotels, the area, what to see and do and any thing else you'd like to know.

[email protected]
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM

directions...Why would the OP need to email you privately? This is a public forum, designed to exchange travel information, insiders, outsiders, nosiders,doesnt matter.You must have something to sell.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM

beachboi, you're kidding right or are you just normally a very suspicious person.

I told her to e-mail with any specific questions she might have, it has nothing to do with selling except maybe my town, geeeez give it up.

I travel a lot and know how important it is to have a local advise you on the area.

It didn't seem as if anyone else was interested in going to the nationals but if they are they can e-mail me to.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:11 PM

I went to the last Nationals in Spokane, and the organizers did a great job organizing transportation. Shuttle buses ran frequently from the arena on a route that included most of the hotels in the area.

The hotels on the same side of the Park as the arena were generally walking distance, but there was snow (and melting ice) that week, which made walking across the parking lots tricky (and sometimes dangerous), especially during the beginning of the week. Lots of people used the shuttle buses even though they were within walking distance - although the stops were closer to some hotels than others. A number of the hotels had their own shuttle buses which they'd sometimes use to bring people to the arena, but you'd need to confirm with your hotel and that was less reliable than the organizers buses (which were also used by the skaters and officials for transportation).

The hotels on the other side of the Park were closer to many restaurants and shopping (not much of either on the arena side). During the day, they were also walking distance, but a bit longer walk. However, the Park was lovely and if the weather was ok, it was a nice walk (although it could be too far if you have any problems walking or if it was icey). Pretty much anything you'd want to do except the skating itself was on the downtown side.

The practice arena, "fan-fest" and some of the novice and junior events were at the secondary arena near the Doubletree. Not sure if they'll do that again this time given the extended schedule.

All of this is a long way of saying that with the shuttle buses, any of the hotels would be fine.
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM

travelkitty is right about the hotels. There are some that are north of the river and some that are south. most all within walking distance or as travel kitty said you can take the shuttle bus, many of the drivers will love to tell you anything you'd like to know.

Riverfront park where expo was is fun to walk through. Good exercise after sitting for awhile, if not to much snow and ice. All sorts of places to eat south of the river. Some of the hotels have excellent restaurants but can be pricey.

Lots of shopping in river park square everything from made in WA stores to Nordstroms to art just about anything and it's all in a covered mall and through covered walk ways.

By the way Spokane is the only city in the US to have a falls right in the middle of the city in fact it has two.

Spokane is a Indian word meaning children of the sun.