Reload this Page >

2 weeks in California with a 2-year-old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
vvv

Hi, we are thinking of visiting California for 2 weeks in Sep or Oct ,and plan to visit SF, Napa, Monterey and Carmel. Are there anywhere else we should visit with a 2-year-old? We will be playing golf as well.

In terms of accomodation, we would greatly appreciate any recommendations for those areas. With a 2-year-old, we would prefer a serviced apartment or any resort with a kitchen.

Thank you for all your help.

vvv

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:32 AM
Joe

Frankly those are not destinations that are suited for a 2 year old at all. Unless you plan on spending time at the beaches of Monterey and Carmel (go down Big Sur a ways too), or the wonderful parks of San Francisco, or having family picnics thoughout Napa.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:40 AM
linda

I couldn't believe the people carting their small kids around Napa wineries.Please spare him/her this- unless it's the picnic thing.He/she will be so bored. Lake Sonoma is gorgeous- also they have canoe and rafting on Russian River which is fun.She(He?) would enjoy a boat trip around the bay in SF and enjoy the mimes on the Wharf.Your child might be too afraid- but the hot air balloon rides in Napa/Sonoma are cool.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:05 PM
PLH

So you're not supposed to cart your kids anywhere good? My brother & sister-in-law brought their 2-year-old out to visit in California & we all had a fine time. A few practical suggestions will help. Carmel is beautiful, but not always stroller/kid friendly. Take the kid to the beach & when he/she is tired, walk around & window-shop, or take turns popping into stores to look at the expensive breakables. The hotels are more expensive than Monterey, but up-scale enough that they can arrange for a babysitter. In Monterey, take the tyke to the Dennis The Mennis park, walk and definitely to the Aquarium. My nephew (& my older kids) loved the Splash Zone.

In San Francisco, the sea lions at Pier 39 are popular with kids. And if you're walking through China Town, there's a very nice little playground by the Chinese Cultural Center where you can give the kid a chance to burn some energy.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Susan

Definitely hit the Dennis the Menace park in Monterey, loads of fun for little ones. And don't miss the aquarium.

Also, you may have these back home but we have two great museums for kids that age, the Bay Area Discovery Museum in Sausalito and the Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose. In Santa Cruz there are fun kiddie rides at the boardwalk. The beach is always a big hit, of course.

There is an Embassy Suites in Napa that might fit the bill. I think you can hit two or three wineries with the kid, especially during naptime when they will just sleep in the car and you can take turns tasting. Many wineries have expansive lawn areas for running around.

In SF there's a great carousel at Yerba Buena Gardens, and another in Golden Gate Park. Also, on Saturdays there is a wonderful farmer's market at the Ferry Plaza, lots of great sights and smells for kids, and usually other kids and doggies to visit with. The SF Zoo has just renovated it's petting zoo and is worth checking out. Have fun!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Monica

Another vote for the aquarium in Monterey. My 17-month old daughter just loves the Splash Zone--so much so that I got a membership and I live an hour and fifteen minutes away! Also you'll be fine in Napa as long as you take the cues from your child. If he or she gets restless while you're wine tasting, be prepared to go outside and explore or whatever. I think most parents know this, it's the few that don't that give the rest of us a bad reputation!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:07 AM
David

wv

The Happy Hollow petting zoo in San Jose's Kelley Park would also be a nice place to visit with a 2 yr. old (www.sanjose.org and www.happyhollowparkandzoo.org) While in Kelley Park, you might want to visit the Japanese Gardens and the History Museum of San Jose. Your kid would probably like feeding the Koi fish in the Japanese Gardens.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:03 AM
David

vw,
You may want to look into the West Coast Santa Cruz Hotel. The last time I was there it was called the Dream Inn. I believe that each room has an ocean view. It was nice back then, and I assume that it is probably even better now.

http://www.caohwy.com/w/westcsch.htm

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Amy

Train Town in Sonoma is a must. Very inexpensive and will allow you time to enjoy Downtown Sonoma. I have taken my 20 month old wine tasting and have had no problems. Only hit one or two early in the day. My husband and I do the tag team approach. When we are at a winery that I enjoy, he takes our son around and plays with him, reads him books, etc. But remember that you are on your childs time, and that whent hey are tired they will not only ruin your time, but other visitors, too.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Laurel

We took our 2 year old to Napa last spring for a wedding & she had as much fun as we did! We used "Nannies of the Valley" babysitting service and had such a wonderful experience with our sitter. She was incredible! Everybody had a great time in Napa -- my husband loved the golf, I loved the wine tours & our daughter loved her babysitter. We stayed in Calistoga at a great inn that was very accomodating to our needs (nice pool, too!): The Mount View Hotel. You might like one of the cottages out back.