2 nights in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2016, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling (without kids) to California next April. Our plan is to fly into SF, stay for 2 nights, then drive to our destination (which is south of LA) via the Pacific Coast Highway.

Questions:
What area should we look into for our hotel? We're planning on some very basic sightseeing...Alcatraz, Pier 39, Golden Gate Bridge.
This leads to my second question...should we rent our car before our short SF stay, or as we're heading out?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 07:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Parking in San Francisco can be difficult, even if your accommodation has parking, so it makes sense to pick up your car as you leave. Others can suggest a location, possibly the airport, although there are agencies in town.

Since your interest seems to be the north end of town, staying in that general vicinity would make sense (Fisherman's Wharf, for instance). Budget will make a difference, though, and if an excellent hostel appeals, the location of the one at Ft. Mason is the best in the city, acres of trees & grass and a view of the Golden Gate and is largely why I like staying there. Truly wonderful and walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and the attractions you mention. There are private rooms (book early) and they have free parking. http://www.sfhostels.org/fishermans-wharf
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 07:41 AM
Kal

Columbus Motor Inn....free parking...short walk to Pier 39/FW and short walk to No Beach. On a bus line and near cable car turntables.

We did the drive from SF to Santa Barb a few years ago and loved it. Hwy 1...awesome.

Broke it up with a stop at Cambria.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 04:05 PM

>>Columbus Motor Inn.....short walk to Pier 39/FW
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 08:47 PM

Sans kids, stay in the Embarcadero area - the Hyatt Regency or Vitale are good choices. It's somewhat quieter, since it's a sub-part of the financial district (I work in the area), but it's also adjacent to the bay, near AT&T Park and the Ferry Building, and many many restaurants.