Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2 Females heading to NYC in late Sept, early October, need some advice...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of have been before w/ the husbands, it's girl time! Wanting to stay in mid-town (close as possible to the action) I guess without spending a fortune. Plan on staying 4 or 5 nights and the absolute most we want to pay is $2,000.00 including taxes ($1,000.00 each for hotel), would love something less expensive naturally, more $ to spend on fun things! Big concern is being close to subway within a few blocks. Any suggestions out there? I personally stayed @ the Sheraton Towers, great location, but not wanting to spend that kinda $ this time around. Want to take in a couple shows and do some shopping, people watching, etc. Have been on different sites and the prices are outrageous, which I know is to be expected. The city is awesome, that's why the big bucks. I know there are smaller hotels that unfortunately don't get listed on the travel sites so hoping maybe someone out there could recommend something? Open to suggestions! Thanks in advance for your time-
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM

Without EXACT dates I don't think it's possible for anyone to make recommendations.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM

The biggest factor in NYC hotel prices is the dates you'll be traveling. Cheaper in January, skyhigh between Thanksgiving and a week before Xmas.
When are you coming?
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi vjpblovesitaly, we've bounced around with dates. Prefer to go 9/26 returning on 9/30 or 10/1. It seems however, the rates drop when you get into the 2nd week of October? Just want to make sure it's still warm enough that we don't have to bring jackets, wnat to travel light, plan on doing some shopping! Thanks for you quick reply!
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM

2nd week in October is usually nice weather, but you need to bring light jackets and a sweater or 2 then AND in September too. It could be 80 dgrees or 50. And last year we got our only real snow on Halloween weekend. Very early to be that cold, but weather is very variable here.
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM

Just about anywhere you stay in Manhattan will be within a few blocks of a subway.

Weather is unpredictable, as nyer stated. Very slim chance you'll need a winter coat in October, but a jacket or blazer would be wise to take along.

Try booking.com for a hotel search. It's a great site that I've used for other cities.
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM

There are 2 kinds of hotels available to you ... Those that are under $300 and those that are under $400. Pick your price point, and I suspect you will have many choices. Stay between 3rd and 8th avenues and you'll be within a five minute walk of the subway almost everywhere between 60th and 14th streets.
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:19 PM

Also, I'd suggest booking a decent sounding hotel in each price range that can be cancelled without neatly and then keep looking for a deal. Prices start going up after September 1.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:07 PM

Unfortunately you're heading into the early part of high season for hotel prices. If you can share one double bed you should look at Priceline and you may get something for under $200 per night (or not). If you want separate double beds that means you're looking at larger and/or deluxe rooms.
Priceline won't work - only guarantees one double bed, which is what many NYC hotel rooms have. In that case I would reco reserving the best price you can in a room you will be happy with - and continue to look at the various hotel discount sights - which may not have deals until 6 weeks or so in advance.

Actually there really aren't a lot of hotels that don;t appear in the discount sites - mostly small B&Bs or similar - and it doesn't sound like that's what you want. And when you look at sites be careful about the address (I've noticed some that list NJ hotels as within a couple of miles of Times Square - as if the Hudson River in between did't exist.)
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM

Salisbury Hotel-57th st.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:28 AM

Look at the various Affinia and Kimpton hotels in the "above $300 range). There are a lot of simple chain hotels in the under $300 range, including most of the hotels from Apple Core. After September 1, hotels that cost $250 now may cost $350 to $400. But use Expedia or Travelocity or Orbitz to find cheaper options, Hotels.com to find discounted hotels. If you limit your search to Manhattan hotels, I believe you'll find something, but you may not find it at the hotel company web sites.

Priceline is a good option, but many hotels in NYC have only one double bed in their rooms, which tend to be small. Two beds is NOT the norm in at least 50% of hotels. And the larger rooms will tend to cost you more.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:40 AM

I put in your dates at The Beacon Hotel and came up with their one-bedroom suite with two double beds, a kitchenette and marble bathroom for $295/night. You can cancel one day in advance.

Last June I stayed in their two-bedroom/two-bath suite with 5 girlfriends and it was perfect. You are across the street from a market, and lots of little restaurants and shops. Plus one block from subway station.

It's a great place on the gentile upper west side.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:45 AM

https://karyonres.travel/listRoomTyp...dren=0&rooms=1

Comes to $1180 plus taxes.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great advice & ideas, truly appreciated!!!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:07 AM

What "action" are you talking about? That term is usually used by tourists as code for Times Square. The only action there is theater and hoards of tourists. While the Beacon is a great hotel, it doesn't really suit this trip imo. Id look for a boutique hotel with some amenities given your budget. The Strand is within walking distance of theaters and shopping. The Jewel Facing Rockefeller Center is too. Or consider staying further downtown. The Giraffe, the Gansevoort Park, the James Soho...
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:21 AM

If you want peace and quiet - with tree lined streets and only six story buildings - and the younger set's "action" - check out Greenwich Village - and maybe the Washington Square Hotel. You can catch a subway line to about everywhere from there - either at nearby Union Square or over on 6th Ave. http://www.washingtonsquarehotel.com/
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:26 AM

I just checked the Wash Sq Hotel rates for the 2nd week in Oct - and starting on Mon - 10/8 - for 4 nights - it as $1,100 for a double twin superior. You can spend more for a larger room if you like.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"It's a great place on the gentile upper west side."

A new christian enclave?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:01 AM

Jeez, I meant "genteel". Defined as : elegant or graceful in manner, appearance, or shape

Sorry!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM

Agreed - the upper west side is nor limited to gentiles - in fact, quie the opposite - it's a very diverse community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -