1st visit to the Pacific NW -

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finally getting to the Pacific NW!!! I've started the research and want to see everything...so I could use some help focusing. I have 12 full days, starting and ending in Seattle. I want to see the things that make the area unique. So far on my list: 2-3 days in Vancouver/Whistler, 1-2 days in Seattle, a fast visit to a relative in Portland, Oregon coast, Victoria, a Gulf or San Juan Island. Ranier? Is this too much? Am I missing anything I shouldn't?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What time of year?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Oops! I'll be going at the end of Sept.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:27 AM

Where are you staying in Seattle? Which places on the Oregon Coast will you be visiting? WE can go from there! ***kim***
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Oregon Coast: I was thinking I'd head west from Portland and see the coast from Cannon Beach north. Since I want to get to Vancouver (and Vancouver Island if there's time), I was thinking its better not to wander any further south. Is this right? As for Seattle, I don't have plans yet. Seeing the countryside is a higher priority so I was concentrating on that part of the trip. Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:27 AM

The Oregon Coast is very different north of Canon Beach. The scenic drive really begins at Canon Beach and goes south. The road hugs close to the shoreline, with cliffs, huge rocks jutting out of the water, coves with sand and washed up logs, beautiful overlooks and trails.

At least you should approach the Oregon Coast by taking Hwy 6 to Tillamook, rather than going on 26 to Canon Beach. Then drive north on 101 from there. I'd recommend you go on the Three Capes Loop and on up the coast to Canon Beach. It's an easy day trip, and you can still in Canon Beach at night as planned.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 12:28 PM

You mention "seeing the countryside" as a high priority...

This prompts us to ask where you're from, so we can contemplate contrasting sights.

(just throwing this caution in: Be sure to bring EITHER your passport OR your birth certificate to accompany your driver's license for easy crossing to and from Canada)