Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

land trip between san francisco and vaancouver

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I rent a car in San Francisco on Tuesday morning. June 13. Drop off in Seattle Sunday June 18.
We have 5 days (fly out of seattle on June 18 midday)
We would like to cover as much as possible between San Francisco and Seattle OR if possible San Francisco-Vancouver-back to Seattle.
We are free to use those 5 days as we wish. The rest is booked and fixed.
How much time should we spend in Portland? in Seattle? (in Vancouver if we go that far?)
What must we sse or do along the way?
Where should we spend the night each day?
Any other tips of sights, activities would be appreciated..

We are active seniors.
Wine and Restaurants are OK, but we are not crzy about either. not our main focus.
Sights, technology, History are more our speed.

We leave for San Francisco June 9.

Thanks

Gil
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 03:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Given your tight schedule, I doubt that you have the time to go to Vancouver BC Canada. There is a Vancouver Washington just across the Columbia River from Portland.
It would be a long day after flying but try for US 101 across the GG bridge going as far north as Crescent City CA.
Morning day 2 see the Redwoods NP. Head north on 101 to Newport Oregon. If you have the time, see the Oregon Coast Aquarium just south of Newport.
From Newport, head east on US 20 to I-5 and then north to I-205 to get on I-84. There is a left exit into a parking lot to see Multnomah Falls (Oregon's tallest). Either spend the night in Hood River or go back to Portland.
Decide how much time you want to spend in Portland before heading for Seattle. They are both great cities.
In any case, don't drive your rental car into Canada. The Amtrak train and bus work well from Seattle King Street station to the Pacific station in Vancouver
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 04:06 PM

One night SF, because I don't know how early you can pick up your car. One night redwoods. One night Oregon coast. 1 night Portland aaaaand that leaves two nights Seattle. You DON'T have time to even drive to BC let alone mess about with the trains.

Tom is right. It's tight. I don't see the debate. You can't fit Vancouver, and that's really not much time for all the rest. You NEED to be in Seattle the night before your flight.

Look to see what interest you in the redwoods. Plenty of great hikes and sites and your time is limited. And lodging is limited too- just stay where you find a room, I suppose.

One night in Newport. If interested in maritime stuff, check out the light houses. Then go up to Astoria the next day to visit the maritime. You should drive the whole Oregon coast.

It shouldn't be hard to fill up your time at all. In Portland, I'd pick a good restaurant, go to the rose and Japanese gardens, and powells books. I'd stay downtown at Crystal hotel, or Monaco, or Benson (although this is all kind of last moment. Get booking) maybe do some biking if that appeals.

Seattle- hit whatever sights interest you. Stay downtown. Preferably get rid of your car when you roll into town. It's expensive to park. Top sights are pretty obvious. I definitely recommend Chihuly. And also the underground tour.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 04:10 PM

And if you like Asian American history, the wing Luke museum in Seattle Chinatown is excellent. You could do that (be sure to go on the hotel tour) in combination with pike place market and the underground tour. Hit Pike place Market before 9, go on a underground tour around noon, then go to wing Luke.

In SF, go to the cable car museum. It's really cool.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 07:13 PM

I am pretty much on the same page with tomfuller.

The main attractions on this route are the Redwoods of Northern California, the Oregon Coast, the Columbia River gorge, Portland, Seattle, and (in my opinion) Mt. Rainier.

If you decide you want to squeeze in Vancouver (with two obnoxious border crossings), you will spread yourself way too thin.

One difference I will suggest is that you continue on 101 after Newport. It is a beautiful drive that will take you through some interesting towns and give you a better idea about why the Oregon Coast is loved by so many.

Also, the drive on I-5 between Corvallis ad Portland is one of my least favorite stretches of highway in Oregon. It is a busy corridor that I have driven many times but that I wouldn't have driven except out of necessity.

HTtY
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The actual 4.5 days you have is barely enough time for just driving from SF to Seattle through the redwoods and along the coast. Even that will be EXTREMELY rushed and leave you next to no time in San Francisco, Portland and Seattle.
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 02:16 PM

Your time is only enough to make the drive itself, with a very few scenic detours along the way.

You absolutely don't have time to go up into Canada.