1st trip to NYC in March; too cold?

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st trip to NYC in March; too cold?

My daughter and I are considering visiting NYC for 4 days mid-March. We plan to do a lot of wallking. Would it be better weather-wise to wait until mid-April? We are from the upper midwest, so are used to cold weather. Thank you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:27 AM

Of course it would be better weather wise to wait until mid-April. And, the leaves will be coming out on the trees and Park Ave may be lined with tulips and the flowering trees in Central Park may be in bloom.

If you're used to cold weather, and you visit in March, just dress so as to be comfortable while out and about.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:30 AM

I would wait. We've been to NYC twice in March and it rained/snowed both times. Why come all that way to visit NYC, which is an amazing city to walk, to have to do it in frigid, possibly inclement weather?? Wait.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:40 AM

NYC is great in any weather, although rain can certainly dampen the spirits because it really is a walking city. I have been there in the warmth of mid-April, the rainy cold of mid-April, the cool of November, and the biting cold of November. If you can wait, I would wait until mid April. I know it mattered a lot to my family when the weather went from nice and warm to cold and rainy on our last day.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:38 AM

I agree your chances of milder weather are better in mid-Aril; although you can get the odd snowstorm even in April, and can have a warm and sunny March.

However, mid-April this year is Easter, so if you are choosing between March and Easter, I would choose March. The week before Easter and esp Easter weekend will be very busy in NYC in terms of restaurants and hotels. It will also be easier to get tickets to Broadway shows in March. If you could come before or after Easter in April, that would be OK; preferably the week after Easter when most schools are back in session.

Take a look at weatherbase.com and worlclimate.com for historical average temps and rainfall for NYC in March and April.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:15 AM

Oh great, is the week prior to Easter similar to the week before Christmas, with crowds and such? We were thinking of a quick trip to NYC that week ourselves - will it be a nightmare?
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:30 AM

No, it won't be as busy as the week before Christmas in terms of shopping but it will be very busy in terms of theaters and restaurants - so if you're coming make reservatins for anything you really must do as soon as possible.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:41 AM
GoTravel

April is a much busier month than March. The weeks before and after Easter will be very busy. Fashion week is also sometime in April.

I would go with March because you have no guarentees that April will be sunny and warm.

I've been weekends in May when it was freezing cold and rainy.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:57 AM

Last Monday April 7, 2003 NYC had a snow storm. I don't think its going to make a difference Mid-March or Mid-April with the weather that we have been having.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:52 AM

The 7th on 6th Fall 2004 collections are February 6-13 so no need to worry about that (Fashion Week).
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:13 AM

I took my family last year the week before Easter. In fact, we returned on Good Friday. Yes, it was a little crowded (relatively speaking), but I didn't think the crowds were enough to have a negative impact on the trip. Just make sure to book a hotel room well ahead, get your transportation together well before then, and buy hot theater tickets early.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
GoTravel

I stand corrected on Mercedes Fall Fashion Week. LA is the one that runs into April.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe we'll just take our chances with March since we'd have to be there Easter weekend in April.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:16 PM

Hey blep:

Don't forget that wonderful mid march NYC event......St. Patrick Day Parade!

Could be great or terrible depending on your 'frame of mind'!
John