1st Trip to Kauai - Give me some Ideas Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. Used this board extensively for 2 previous trips to Maui. My wife and i are going to Kauai the end of April for 8 days.
1. I would love any suggestions on things to do and places to eat. However we are on a moderate budget and will only be able to eat at a really nice place a couple of nights.
2. We love to hike and snorkel.
3. Would love to find a couple of out of the way beaches (15th Anniversary!)
4. I plan on buying the Kauai Revealed book
I believe we will be staying at the Resort Quest Islander on the Beach -Tripadvisor had lots of good reviews.

I really appreciate your input, thanks.
Bikers
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM

Biker,

Did you read my trip report to Kauai? My number one thing to recommend is the Nualolo/Awapp Grand Loop Hike. It is a amazing, if you like hiking. The Islander is right near we stayed too, so all the restaurants I talked about will be in walking distance to you. I also got a great hiking book for Kauai, it really does have the most amazing hiking available. I could go on and on, let me know what you are looking for and I can recommend more specific hikes if you like. Also recommend renting a kayak and doing the Wailua River/Fern Grotto/Secret Waterfall hike. Kayak rentals can be done right by the river for about $40. (Not in my last trip report, but we liked it so much we did it 2x on previous trips.) Re: beaches, Gillins Beach is my now favorite beach ever. It is in the Revealed book, totally secluded and quiet. Really romantic. Have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM

One restaurant on Kauai not to miss is Gaylord's near Poipu. It is basically a mansion that is a restaurant with seating inside and outside. When we were there last there was an art gallery there too. Also Roy's in Poipu is very good.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
iceeu2

biker, for some really good food that's not gonna set you back a fortune(locals' atmosphere)...you must go to Hamuara's Saimen, Lihue BBQ Inn and Tip Top Cafe.

For a really nice treat go to Hukilau Lanai for happy hour for special priced appetizers and wine pairings.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Stephcar-thanks, yes i did read your report. Loved it. we probably won't be quite as adventurous as you were, but definitely want to see the sites on our hikes. probably in the medium level on the difficulty scale. What book did you get for hiking?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM

Biker,

We got Hiking Kauai by Robert Smith. It is small and compact. Has a nice little chart that can help you select hikes based on difficulty, distance, what you will see (i.e. waterfalls) etc. It is good, but not great. But I haven't found one better yet though.

Another good must do and not too strenuous hike is the one at the end of the Ke'e Beach...Kalalau Trail. The first part takes you to the secluded beach (but lots of people do this hike) and the second half is 2 miles to a grand waterfall. Great hike. But the 2 miles to the waterfall is not as easy and well marked as the first part, but still very fun and doable in a morning/lunch. I think RT it is 8 miles. BTW, if you like hiking, you will love Kauai. I actually do not like hiking, except there.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM

As for beaches, get the revealed book and read it - lots of info there. The only one I'd include in the list is Secret beach. As for hikes, there is a nice and short hike on cliffs along the water from Shipwreck beach (where Hyatt is located) east to Mahaulepu (and Gillins) beach.

The revealed book will also help you out with budget restaurants. A good rule of thumb is to avoid the tourist places and go where the locals go. But be sure to leave any mainland attitude at home

Alan
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

We did that hike a couple weeks ago from the Revealed book, alanwar! It was awesome.

We also did a Waimea Canyon hike found in the book...even better.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Hi,lucky you going to Kauai!!! My husband and I got back from there in Dec. and we spent 13 days at the Islander and just loved it!!! We went for our 27th and found Kauai to be perfect!! One of the best tools I used beside the great people on here was the Kauai Underground Guide.We did some hiking and exploring but the most physical we got was the day we did the Princeville Ranch Zipline!What a blast, I highly reccomend it!!!Some cheap and awesome eats were of course Hamura's in Lihue and next to the hotel is Eggbert's and Tradewinds Bar which has the best Mai Tais!In Wailua we had a great buffet at the Wailua Family Restaraunt.In Lihue at the Tip Top Motel there is a great cheap cafe.In Hanalei we had a great breakfast at the Hanalei Cafe and watched the sunset while having drinks and sharing an appetizer at the Princeville Resort on the deck in there living room which saved a ton of money on dinner there. Also in Poipu you should try Puka dogs and in Koloa Tomcats was real good.Hope some of these ideas help, have fun Kim