Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best view on Kauai for the least amount of effort?

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that Kauai has terrific hiking trails with fabulous views, but some of those hikes are fairly difficult.

DH and I are spending 5 nights on Kauai. He is 50 and not in super shape although we do like to walk. I would like recommendations on trails we can take to a really nice view/overlook that don't take 6 hours and require serious hiking/climbing. Moderate exertion is just fine! Are there any trails like that?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM

My husband and I are also of that wonderful age and did quite a bit of hiking. There are some great walking trails moderate to more "huffing and puffing". We went in August a few years ago so it was quite warm, take plenty of water along on your hikes and wear a hat. I picked up the Wizard Publications Guide on Kauai called KAUAI REVEALED which was a wealth of info. This book had great maps of trails, driving, beaches, hotels, shopping,etc. You can also go on-line to their website and get the latest info. We can't wait to go back it is so incredibly beautiful and the people are very friendly! Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM

The trail along the coast in Mahale'epu (sp) is very nice and not too difficult. Take Poipu Road past the Hyatt. It turns to dirt and then dead ends. Take a right and follow it to a parking area. Follow the trail along the coast to the left or right. There is no "big payoff" at the end as the whole hike is the payoff. Very nice.

Bill
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Kal

I hiked up a few barstools last trip over without too much difficulty.
A few of them had some VERY nice views.

And THATS the type of info you won't find in Kauai Revealed or The Ultimate Kauai guidebook! :-"
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Uh huh Kal, and just where are these bar stools located? How many drinks until the view is spectacular?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Well...I don't wanna be telling tales on ol' Kal, but I personally witnessed him having a deeeeeeeelightful time at the Princeville Hotel brunch one Sunday.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM

...and poolside at the Sand Bar in Kapa`a...
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM

...followed by some dining and liquid refreshments on the lanai at Hukilau Lanai...
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Getting back to the original inquiry -- everyone who has enjoyed the view (with or without beverages!) from the Living Room bar at the Princeville Hotel, has been awestruck.

The majestic pali (mountains), the waterfalls (if you're lucky!), Hanalei Bay, the Pacific Ocean, the surfers, the boats and -- if you get really, really lucky -- the sunset.

Picture postcard stuff, indeed!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Kal

Who? Me????

What about a nice long hike/walk along Polihale Beach and time a return walk right before sunset? >-
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Kal

I think a walk around Auntie M's 'hood up in the P'ville area on the bike/pedi paths might not be too bad either.

You two may want to rent a golf cart at Princeville Golf Course after 3:00 or so and drive the course, stop and walk around and take pix.
We've done that a few times and it's always pretty.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM

The lookout pull overs in Waimea Canyon are great and you don't have to hike at all. However it sounds like if you do any Kal hiking you might opt for a tour and let someone else drive.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:56 PM
sistahlou

Why am I suddenly invisioning Kal popping wheelies in the golf cart with mrskals million dollar smile laughing next to him with the wind in her hair?

I like to put on my hiking Keens and then climb the massive OlyCafe to a mountain of ban/mac pancakes.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM

In addition to the fabulous Princeville Hotel bar and restaurant views mentioned above, you might also want to consider the essentially similar bar and restaurant views from the not quite as pricey Hanalei Bay Resort. Follow this link for sample views and directions:
http://tinyurl.com/yqeejq

Also, the Kalalau lookout to the Na Pali Coast is one of the most famous, if not the most famous, view in all Kauai, and it is just from a turnoff near the end of the Waimea Canyon road. No hiking at all (or drinks)needed to see this view, although major hiking trails start off from that point. It may require some patience to get to see it, though, as this lookout is at high altitude and the view frequently disappears and reappears with passing clouds. I have waited and been richly rewarded, but sometimes it just disappears for the day, which makes it a good idea to go there in the morning. There's also the Pu'u o Kila lookout nearby, at the very end of the road. This link gives pictures and more information on these viewpoints, as well as further links to lots of interesting Kauai sites:
http://tinyurl.com/2ptrb6
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Sistah, are you trying to invision Kal without a glass or a fork in his hand?

Mission impossible
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Holy Haleakala!

Fabulous answers and EXACTLY what I was looking for -thanks Fodorites - Love ya!

Looks like I have some wonderful low effort, high impact options both outdoors AND indoors - who knew!

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:52 PM
sistahlou

The K9's and other wonderful Kauai afficianadoes are a service organization!!

I still regret missing the trek from the parking lot to Charos old place - a newish greek place with a killer view and honest folks that are trying to make it work.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM

We have a pic we took from the lookout of Kalalau Valley as the background on our computer. Still a fantastic vista beautiful colors plus it's raining right now just like being there..... NOT
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM

sistahlou:

You missed Mediterranean Gourmet??? After all my plugs for that hidden treasure??? Egad...! 8-)

But seriously folks, if you want to sit 'n dine at ocean-level on the north shore, make this stop in Ha`ena. Odds are that you'll zoom past their sign and have to turn around and go back -- but Monday thru Saturday, 11a.m. to evening, this is the place to dine and drink (they got their liquor license...no need to BYOB anymore). Wonderful Mediterranean fare (falafels, homemade hummus and -- pardon my drool -- baklava), plus fresh salads, quesadillas, and burgers.

Belly dancers some nights, too....
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:47 AM

auntie,

Belly dancers! Hmmm...sounds like a great place for a GTG! How about it? July 31 - August 11! Yahooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information