1st Trip to Chicago in 2003; and suggestions?

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Val

1st Trip to Chicago in 2003; and suggestions?

I'm planning a trip to Chicago in August or September of 2003 (for about 4d/3n). Are there any recommendations as to what I should see or avoid? Is driving manageable there? What are the best hotels? I'm also going alone, so I need lots of things to see/do to keep me busy. Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Jay

Val: I would avoid bringing a car to chicago. While it is not that difficult to drive downtown, parking is exspensive and the Mass-Transit system is much quicker then driving. Seeing how this is your first time you might want to check out the museums, navy pier, John Hancock center opservatory. Hotels vary greatly depending on what you want but you should try to stay within a few blocks of Michigan Ave. or in the State St Mall area.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:49 AM
jpm

Val, I assume you meant 2002 instead of 2003. If not, you're even more into advance planning than I am! ;-)

The citypass is a great money saver. Gets you into several of the major attractions for a discount (about 50% off). There is a website, I believe www.citypass.com.

Also, I agree about avoiding a car. If you are flying in take the train downtown and then use mass transit or taxis. With 4 people using Taxis is as cheap as buying a daily bus pass.

Have fun, Chicago is a great town.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Bev

The best hotels are the Four Seasons and Peninsula, both on Michigan Avenue.
Other considerations would be the Ritz Carlton, Park Hyatt, Fairmont.
The Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute, Museum of Science/Industry, Field Museum of Nat History, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Contemporary Art are all close by.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Niki

Hi,
I just had my first visit to Chicago this March. It's great. My suggestions include: the Blue Man Group (a really great show), the Art Institute,and the Contemporary Art Museum. If you like Oprah, go ahead and get tickets NOW. My mom and I made the mistake of waiting too late. Also, don't miss Chinatown and Greektown for great ethnic cuisine and neat shops. Your restaurant choices are unlimited, so enjoy the food. Also, try to see a show or two. We saw the opening night of Proof and it was amazing!!!! And last but not least, take advantage of some great shopping!

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:50 PM
LindaB

Niki--the Oprah website says you have to call the month before you get to Chicago. Were you able to get tix earlier?

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:16 AM
goldie

Hi Val,
Ha ha If you are planning now for 2003, then you really have it together. You Go!
Like others have said, all of the museums are great attractions to visit while in Chicago. If you are coming in September you will even be able to enjoy pleasant weather for the most part. (Chicago weather is crazy, bring a jacket) I am quite fond of the Art Institute on Michigan Ave. As far as hotels, well, I have never stayed in any of them. But I would suggest that a visitor stay within a few blocks of the Magnificent Mile. If your budget is similar to mine, I would probably look into the Holiday Inn on Ohio or the Westin off Michigan Ave. The best in the city would be the Ritz, Park Hyatt, or the Drake, although a quite rich for my wallet. You can not go too wrong in the loop (downtown) I would imagine. Surely you will want to visit one of the things this city is famous for, the Sears Tower. Nice experience and if the skies are clear, amazing view. Shopping on the Mag Mile is fabulous, every clothing store you could like. The Water Tower is great. There are Tours from Navy Pier and the Museum Complex, with a good guide you can lean some interesting things about the city. Perhaps you will enjoy a cold drink in the Beer Garden at Navy Pier along with a little live music. There are also boat rides at Navy Pier. There are plenty of options in the Theater District. You may want to order a Pizza from Giordano's from your hotel. Parking is horrible downtown and expensive. A rental car would be a hassle. Public Trans and Taxi would be best. Oh, you may want to check out the new W Hotel off of Lake Shore Drive. There are a few movie theaters near Michigan Ave, your hotel can direct you. Good luck trying to see Oprah, I have been trying for over a year. Jerry Springer and Jenny Jones are much much easier to get tickets for, if you like those shows. A 10 to 15 minute ride on the CTA bus line (#151) will take you through Lincoln Park and to the Zoo for a leisurely walk. There are great restaurants in Chicago. I usually don't dine alone, Im paranoid. ha ha But if you are not, then dinner at Ron of Japan is a treat, order the shrimp. On a budget, Thai at DAO is simple. North Belmont & Broadway is an alternative neighborhood, nice restaurants in the area, grab a Margarita at Margaritaville. Just walk the Mag Mile and duck into here or there and enjoy your stay.
Happy Travels

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:10 AM
danna

ditto the no car comments. Last trip to Chicago I was alone on business. I took the L-train into downtown from the Airport to save cash. It was slightly embarrasing to go walking up the street with my luggage (in the rain) and into the Swisshotel taxi turn-around, but I got over it. If you can stomach the price, I loved Swisshotel, great health club, walking distance to shopping. Otherwise, I have stayed for less at Inn of Chicago which is actually even closer to the heart of the Magnificent Mile.

The Art Institute is Fabulous.

I've dined alone at both Charlie Trotter and Tru. Highly recommended experience. At Trotter's they gave me a tour of the kithen (without being asked). Both restaurants called me a cab at the end of the evening (without being asked) and at Tru my waiter actually walked me out to the cab and opened the door. Now that's service!

One word of warning: I had a lunchtime margherita at Frontera grill...You should not drink and shop!

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:28 AM
chichi

Nuff said about the no-car thing.

We tried Harry Caray's restaurand and were surprised that it wasn't a tourist trap; food and service were good. Also liked the Swissotel on Wacker.

A lot of people will tell you to go to House of Blues for jazz. But also consider Pop's, a small place in the Lincoln Park area (near Depaul). Music, nice atmosphere, "light fare" and desserts.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:45 AM
x

Don't you have anything better to do other than asking for advice on a trip that's more that a year away?
I bet you're a 500 pounder who hasn't taken a shower in a month seating in front of the computer all day long with 6 dozen donuts right next to you.
Get a life!!!

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:44 AM
ThePotCalling

How is super-advance planning worse than wasting your life typing nasty remarks?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Val

I want to thank you all for giving me great suggestions as to what to see and do in Chicago. I'm excited and can't wait to get there. I'm looking at hotels now to find one that is in the heart of the city so I can walk everywhere and take in the sights. Thanks again!

To X: I am planning a wee bit early, but since I am one of the millions who has to save money (unless you're rich and can help a sistah out) and make sure that I have enough not only for the hotel and airfare, but also any other expenditures such as sight seeing/tours/etc., public transportation and my incurable shopping addiction.

Also, it's 150; I shower twice a day (have to be squeaky clean); on the computer because I'm working (or should be); no donuts, just apples; and it's either seated or sitting, smart***! Have a nice day!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:51 PM
jo

The Architectural Foundation on S. Mchigan Ave. (around 2 or 300) sponsors great walking tours of Chicago and in the spring and summer great boat trips on the chicago river.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Samantha

Val,

Lucky you.....Chicago is one of my favorite cities, although maybe I'm biased because I grew up about 30 minutes away ;-) . I spent many summer days and nights there. You've been given great advice so far. I don't think anyone mentioned Lincoln Park zoo, which is great if you're a zoo person. I'll offer a website for you, though, in case you don't know about it. It's a great one:

http://www.ci.chi.il.us

Enjoy your planning and the great city of Chicago!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
Cheryl

Just got back from Chicago, so here's my recommendations (in the downtown area):

Accomodations ... I think the best location for is off Michigan Avenue north of the river. Then you are within walking distance of all the great shopping on Michigan drive and restaurants in that area and the River North area into Old Town. We stayed at the Marriott which was nice with a good location (although my room was pretty small).

Restaurants - Many great restaurants to pick from. We didn't go to any that would require jacket/tie ... all of these were great: Gibson's Steakhouse, Brasserie Joe's, Wildfire, Frontera Grill, MKs.

Pizza - You must try Chicago style pizza; We had great pizza at Pizzeria Uno (not the same as the chain restaurant!) Pizza at Giordano's was medicore. I heard that Gino's has good pizza also, as well as Pizzeria Due.

Things to do - Second City Comedy Club (a must!), Blue Man Group (it was great and lots of fun), Cubs game at Wrigley Field (the people watching was just as much fun as the game), Art Institute (world class with a great collection of Monet), Museum of Science and Industry (great for kids, but otherwise I was not impressed), Hancock Tower (go at dusk), Buckingham Fountain area in Grant Park, Navy Pier (touristy, but lots of fun), and of course, shopping on Michigan Ave.

For nightlife ... Buddy Guy's Legends, Blue Chicago, and House of Blues were all fun. There are lots of other options, especially outside of the immediate downtown area.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Val

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!!

Cheryl - Thanks for the dining suggestions too. Pizzeria Uno is #1 on my list of places to go.

So far, I'm deciding to stay at either the House of Blues Hotel (although further away from Mag. Mile) or the Sofitel Hotel (I believe the new one is along the Mag. Mile). I want to be somewhere in-between shopping, museums (and the zoo) and more touristy-type things on my first trip.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Debby

Val, I've been to Chi last two yrs in Aug. Stayed both times at the hostel right down the street from the Museum---$20+ a night for dorm room, large kitchen, only 3/4 yrs old. Everyone I talked to said it was the best hostel they had stayed in. You can look up www.hiayh on net. They also do activities/tours---I'm a l/2 century plus woman that likes to travel alone and I've found hostels to be great for me.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:34 PM
shasson

Val, both Sofitel and House of Blues are cool, hip, trendy hotels. And although some might see those terms as derogatory, I don't sense you do, and neither do I. Sofitel is brand new and is architecturally fabulous. It is the hot spot--at least this week! You can't go wrong in either location, though I think you might enjoy walking around the Sofitel neighborhood more--it's more residential and upscale, though there are lots of people who are unusually tanned and trim for Chicagoans....

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:41 AM
RITAGINOCCHIO

VAL: THERE WERE SO MANY GOOD SUGGES-
TIONS GIVEN TO YOU FOR YOUR TRIP TO
CHICAGO, BUT I'D LIKE TO ADD ONE MORE
THAT I NEVER SEEM TO SEE MENTIONED AND
IT'S A VERY FAVORITE PLACE OF MINE* THE
CHICAGO BOTANICAL GARDENS IN GLENCOE IS
JUST A SHORT TRAIN RIDE ON THE NORTH
LINE OUT OF DOWNTOWN CHICAGO * ONCE YOU
GET TO THE GLENCOE STATION, YOU WOULD
TAKE THE #213 BUS RIGHT TO THE FRONT
GATE* THE ADMISSION IS FREE (THEY CHARGE
ONLY IF YOU HAVE A CAR TO PARK) AND THE
GARDENS ARE OPEN FROM 8:00 A.M. TO DUSK
DAILY EXCEPT FOR CHRISTMAS DAY (THE ONLY
DAY THAT THEY ARE CLOSED)* MY HUSBAND
AND I ARE AMATEUR GARDENERS AND WE MAKE
A POINT OF VISITING SIMILAR VENUES WHEN
WE'RE ON VACATION AND THE ONLY PLACE
THAT COULD COMPARE IS THE BUTCHART
GARDENS IN VICTORIA, BC* YOU WILL NOT
REGRET SPENDING THE DAY AT THIS VERY
WONDERFUL LOCATION* THERE ARE SO MANY
DIFFERENT TYPES OF GARDENS (ENGLISH
WALLED, JAPANESE, ROSE GARDEN AND SO
MANY MORE THAT I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO
EXPLAIN HOW BEAUTIFUL EVERYTHING IS LAY-
ED OUT TO WALK THROUGH AND ENJOY AT YOUR LEISURE OR TAKE ONE OF THE TRAMS IF YOU'RE TIME IS LIMITED* THERE IS A
CAFE TO EAT AT EITHER INDOORS OR OUT
AND A GREAT GIFT SHOP TO TAKE HOME A
REMEMBERENCE OF YOUR VISIT THERE* I HAVE TAKEN SO MANY PEOPLE THERE FOR THE
FIRST TIME AND THEY ARE ALWAYS SO AMAZED
THAT SUCH A TREASURE IS RIGHT HERE AT
THEIR DOORSTEP AND HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE
BEFORE BUT GO BACK OFTEN * THEY DO HAVE
A WEB SITE (WWW.CHICAGOBOTANIC.ORG) IF
YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO * HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR TRIP HERE TO CHICAGO* RITA