Search

1st time to Napa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:52 PM
A

1st time to Napa

I'll be making my first trip to Napa this fall in November. I'm assuming that the main tourist season should be over by then, but my assumption could be wrong. Does anyone know whether I need to make reservations ahead of time for any of the popular restaurants. If so, how far in advance do I need to make them? Also, do I need to make any reservations for any winery tours? Help please! Thanks!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Susan

If you want to dine at the French Laundry you need to make dinner reservations two months in advance to the day. Otherwise, you can probably wait until you are in Napa and call restaurants the day before or the same day you plan to dine. Same with the winery tours. On the weekends there are always a good number of tourists in Napa, but significantly less in November, and during weekdays you'll probably find a few wineries all to yourself. Have fun.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Coco

Dear A,
If you are a "foodie" (like I am) may I recommend you stop in to see the Culinary Institute/Greystone in Napa. They, too, have a fabulous restaurant...Wine Spectator Rest. We tried to get in one afternoon, but the wait was too long. I would suggest you make res. There is also a fabulous ProChef store that sells many items for kitchen. This is where they (Greystone) film to air their TV food shows on PBS.) They hold special events here you may want to check out on their website. This beautful facility was once a winery. You won't be disappointed.

Coco

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 04:32 PM
A

Coco,
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm definitely a "foodie" and thanks for reminding me about the CIA and their restaurant. I'll certainly make reservations there! Thanks again!

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 06:30 PM
barbara

Try the Martini House in St.Helena. It's the new hot spot with very good food. Must have advance resrvations though. They do have a website.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:26 PM
mary

just back from a week in Sonoma/Napa - loved Cafe La Haye and Deuce in Sonoma, Bistro Ralph in Healdsburg, a wonderful town, and also Celadon in downtown Napa. Have a wonderful time.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:42 PM
jealous

I LOVED Napa... if you can't get in at French Laundry (we did not reserve in time) i highly recommend another French restaurant, Bistro Jeanty. One of the best meals i have had.

Also, Mustards was good, but in my opinion, not in the same category as Jeanty.

As for winery tours I thought Phelps was the best. I think you do need to make a reserv. but not sure. My husband and I started collecting wines after our visit there.

Enjoy!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:51 PM
eeno

Napa Sucks. Go to Sonoma