Must sees and wineries for Napa/Sonoma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the best wineries, restaurants, or any other must sees? Also, where do we need reservations and where can we just show up?

Flying into San Fran renting care and driving to Napa. Staying one night Milliken Creek. Then driving to Sonoma Russian River area, Farmhouse Inn, for 2 nights. Then back to San Fran for last day/night.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 07:42 AM

As for wineries, I'd recommend you visit the Robert Mondavi and Coppola-Niebaum. Mondavi has one of the best tours, in a great looking location. While, the Coppola-Niebaum also has a musuem in connection with F.F. Coppola's movies (the Godfather, etc).
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 08:50 AM

In Sonoma, I really like the girl and the fig, located on the plaza. If you go to Healdsburg, Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen is excellent, located at the Hotel Healdsburg. www.hotehealdsburg.com

In St. Helena, check out Tra Vigne for a nice meal or Bistro Jeanty in Yountville. I have also been hearing wonderful things about Martini House in St. Helena but haven't been able to try it yet. Have a wonderful time! In Sonoma, I would go to the Ledson winery. Cheers! ***kim***
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice!
nohomers- We have both on our plans now. My husband will love the movie musuem. Also we drank Mondavi Chard. when he proposed, so that is a must see!
Kimamom- Do you think we need reservations for any of these restaurants?
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Go to Cakebread Cellars - it's a free tour and is so great. We also did Mondavi, which we liked, but found Cakebread to be much more informative. If you can, also visit Schramsberg in Calistoga. It's a very different tour and so much fun! You'll need reservations at all three.

Have dinner at the Martini House in St. Helena. It's wonderful. We also enjoyed Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen. You'll need reservations at both of those as well. Have fun!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Yes, make reservations for the places you really have your heart set on. Better safe than sorry. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 10:54 AM

My first thought is that you need a few more days! With one full day in the Russian River area though, you can do some fantastic tasting. The Farmhouse should be able to provide you with a good map. I would recommend driving north on Westside Rd to Healdsburg (tasting along the way)- stop for lunch on the square - then head up to Dry Creek. Some of our favorites in the area are Meeker, Preston, Pezzi King, Armida, Quivera and Fritz. Oh, and you shouldn't miss Ferrari-Carano - beautiful winery and gardens and fabulous wines! Enjoy!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
jor

Sounds like a fantastic time. I wish I could join you! Have a great time.