Search

napa or sonoma?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
napa or sonoma?

we're deciding between spending 2 nights in napa or sonoma in August. any suggestions towns or specific hotels b and bs? I've heard Mt. Helena is great. thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:55 AM

Don't know what wineries you are planning to visit but we stayed at the Lodge at Sonoma and thought it was a nice place. We stayed in a cottage room. Close to town square and convenient to dining.

If you do a search for MT. Helena the destination St. Helena may not come up.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:00 AM
Kal

It's not Mt St Helena?

Before I die, we want to spend a few days at the funky El Bonita Motel in St Helena....
Within stumbling distance to Taylor's Refresher and Martini House.

Hmmm...Can I rent a room at Martini House?

I will now stand back and await the Sonoma v. Napa and "come to class prepared, teacher" debate. >- &

Is it Thursday yet? :-"
Kal
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:44 AM

not sure what kind of accomodations you are interested in, but if its not a B & B, the marriott in Napa is a really nice property. Napa and sonoma are so close you can check out both anyway.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:07 AM
rasnes5

Kal-now THAT's where we could stay and taste-El Bonita! No more 'poligies about this side of the hill and why we can never get ourselves to Martini House
nycteach-I am a Sonoma county local (kal "lives" in Napa county part-time) That said I would do a search on St. Helena or Yountville (here)and you'll
be overwhelmed with ideas! Narrow it it down, share them and ppl will debate your choices! (That said we like Calistoga over in Napa county 'cause we are spa people)
Just wondering-are you thinking of camping on the Mt.?
R5

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:20 PM
Kal

I woke up in NV one time!

Ever since Fodor Friend "Chico" got back from the Sonoma Hotel B&B and told us the rooms now have their own bathrooms (they didn't when we stayed there a few yrs. back), we'd consider staying there again because it's an EXCELLENT location for Sonoma, IMHO.

K'bear's suggestion on the Napa Valley Marriott is good too but the only reason we don't like staying (stayed there numerous times either thru a special deal or Priceline and probably will again) there is it's a bit too far to drive to our favorite places. But, breakfast at the nearby Mother McDonalds is hard to beat.

Of course, if it's too far out we can always call "Taxi Cabernet" to haul us around! Great taxi service with a slick name!
Cheers!
Kal
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:42 PM

Okay, first to raise a stink. I've been to 5 major wine regions (Europe, S Africa, USA), and I will not go back to Napa. Maybe for dinner, not to stay. You can find the wines locally. Honestly, even off-season it is
loud and congested, even on the Silverdo Trail. Sonoma is close, but seems totally different because it's quiet, scenic and serene. Actually, we had meals that were as good and/or better than those in Napa Valley. I hate to spend big $$$ on vacation and hear the roar of traffic.