1st time in Hawaii-- in Feb.??

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time in Hawaii-- in Feb.??

Hi, My husband and I are planning a 2 yr anniversary trip to Hawaii in 1st week of Feb. (10 days). I've read some of the posts here that Feb may not be the best time b/c of colder (and rougher) waters. Is this true and if so, maybe this is not the best time for our first Hawaii visit and should select a different destination? We were thinking of Oahu and one other island, not sure which. We are total Hawaii virgins and would appreciate any help! Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:45 AM
MaureenB

If your anniversary is in Feb, then you probably want to go then, right?

To hedge your bets for warmest weather, choose the southernmost islands-- that should help for starters. We like the Big Island. You can find so much to do there, despite any adverse weather you might find. It has stark black lava rock landscapes as well as lush green rolling hills, beaches, resorts or condos, etc.

Keep asking questions and you'll get a lot of good info. here that will help you decide.

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we'd like to go in Feb, but can always plan to go another time if Feb is not ideal. Southernmost islands is a good point. Big Island sounds great. Since there's so much to do there and I hear it's a bit touristy, which island do you recommend for the second half of the trip that's not too far but more relaxing and quiet? Thanks!!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM
MaureenB

IMHO, the Big Island is not touristy at all, especially compared to Oahu and Maui. It has more a slower, local flavor, which is why we have returned to it many times. It is definitely relaxing and quiet. Kona's main street can get crowded at peak season, but still we haven't seen it nearly as crowded as Maui gets. We have stayed about 4 times in our favorite condo complex at Sea Village, just a mile or so south of Kona. Great views, low-key place, fantastic value. We've also stayed at more high-end resorts like the Mauna Lani, which is great if you want that type of resort feel.

For another island, we like Kauai, but it is the most northern of the islands. We were there once in January and it rained everyday of the week. Maybe that was an odd year-- look at weather stats for each island to get a better idea of the chances you'll get rain.

Molokai we visited several years ago, and it is beautiful but not much to do there unless it's been developed a lot since then. And Lanai has some high-end resorts and is supposed to be beautiful.

If you have to land at Oahu anyway, I hear a lot of people love the north coast of it, but again you're going north. Maybe it doesn't make that much difference. Personally, I like checking the weather stats to get the objective info.

Hawaii is so incredible, you will have a good time regardless, I'll bet.

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM

I went in late February and thought the water was warm enough. That is the time of year that the surf is higher, but that may not even have much of an effect for you. Places that have good snorkeling generally means that the area is somewhat protected by reef from any waves. Some beaches won't have much surf (meaning it's so calm you can look down and see your feet - and fish swimming around!) and others get those famous Hawaii pipeline waves.

The winter does seem to make it more likely that a storm could roll through, though.
Then again, February is in whale season, so there are always pros and cons.

To pick islands, I found the front section of the "Hawaii For Dummies" book very helpful. You rate your interests and based on your scores it tells you what is a good fit.

I'm not sure that it makes much difference north/south of the islands. The weather there is based on windward/leeward and the mountains on the island (usually).
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My family went to Maui a few years back in February to celebrate my parents 50th. It is a LOVELY island, and the weather was OK. Sunny and warm most days, a few times a tropical storm blew threw, but even that was kind of fun. Just take a jacket if you are going to a luau on a cool evening, or up at the top of the volcano early in the morning.

I think Maui is a great island for a first trip!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. I will check out weather stats. Does anyone know of a good site for this? I usually can only seem to find five day forecasts, not past that. I'm getting the feeling that the weather in Feb is more of a crap shoot than at other times. Since I'm flying from NYC, I'd rather not fly all that way and have rain!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Just returned Jan 2 from 10 nights in Hawaii. 4 on Lanai at Manele which is heavenly and 6 at Turtle Bay which has to be the worst stay of any I have ever had anywhere in the world. Be warned. They may have fixed up the place (but not that much, really) but the downright rude and callous attitude of hotel employees from the night manager to the operators and the bellmen and the housekeepers makes this a horrible place. I spent beaucoup bucks to stay here (too much ---hundreds per night for 6 nights, imagine) and I warn all others , don't throw your money away on a negative experience. I actually had a bellmen scream at me, a maid refuse to open my door even though she recognized me, an offer of a 2 inch foam bed on the floor for a third person in the room and it goes on and on. Stay away. Try the Marriott at Ko'Olina or the Manadarin in Kahala (both on Oahu). Also the W hotel near Diamond Head. But shun this horrible place. P.S. No turtles ever seen there to boot!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Just go! It's Hawaii, it will be fabuous.
-Bill
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:56 AM

We are off to Kauai Tomorrow, I was just checking the weather on weather.com, calling for partly cloudy and in the upper 70's all next week, mid 60's at night. Sounds good to me as I look out the window at the falling snow! I'll post a trip report when I get back at toward teh end of Jan.
Cheers
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:34 AM

soboyle,
Have a great time! Give Hanalei a hug for me!
-Bill
198 to go!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Five years ago was my wife's and my first visit to Oahu. We went in Feb. and the weather was just great - no complaints at all.

This year, we will be in Maui and Kauai for two weeks in Feb. as well.

Yes, Feb. on average is a bit cooler, but, if you are like me and traveling from a cold state (Minnesota) - it is more fun to get away from the cold and not worry how hot or dry it will be in Hawaii.

Even in Feb. it's likely to still be 50 degrees warmer than back home - so who cares!

When researching the weather while planning our trip, I found the following link very helpful. It describes the weather month by month as well as the near term forecast.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/content.php?pid=19

Go and enjoy your anniversary!!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM

You can't go wrong...it's Hawaii!

Just to share a few ideas:

Oahu...lots of interesting places to go see....Lots of history...USS Missouri, USS Arizona, Ioloni Palace, etc...Waikiki is fun....Stay 3days or poss. 4. Honolulu is pretty busy, another island is good to enjoy and slow down.

Another Island: Big Island. Spend 5 days in Kona, 2 days in Hilo. Mauna Kea, and the Volcano are awesome, along with Waipio Valley etc.

However, if you are looking for lots of sunny beaches to lay on ...Maui is great for that....

Have fun planning.

Hawaii...it's all good!!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

We are planning on Waikiki Beach, then either Maui or Big Island. Thanks to everyone for the advice!